Tylenol Precise Pain Relieving Heat Patch, Arms/Neck/Legs,  4 Count
Size: 4 CountStyle Name: Heat Patch - Arms, Neck and LegsChange

Size: 2.5 OunceStyle Name: CreamVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
With shoulder pain that can get so bad, I cannot open a door, I have tried almost every pain relief cream on the market. Amazon offers two creams that really do the job. Unfortunately, Tylenol Pain Relieving Cream is not one of the two.

Here's my take on this pain relieving cream:

PROS:

1. I like the tube because, rather than having to dig the cream out of a tub,I can easily regulate the amount of cream coming out of the tube.

2. It's not greasy and soaks in quickly.

CONS:

1. This cream smells like something my mother used to rub on my chest when, as a child, I had a cold. I hated the camphor smell then, and I don't like it better now.

2. The promotion piece implies that you can get quick relief with this cream ("Deep Penetrating, start to feel on contact"). I did not find that to be the case. It took 15+ minutes to start working, and it never worked well.

3. What pain relief there was (and it wasn't much) wore off within an hour or so. Because the manufacturer recommends you use this product no more often than three or four times a day, you're left with pain for much of the day.

Amazon offers two very effective pain relieving creams. They cost more than this product (at least double the price of this one), but, if you are dealing with severe pain, they're really worth it. I'd spend more to get a lot more relief.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon September 16, 2010
I am a fairly active person and have experienced my fair share of minor injuries. As the years start to add up, those old injuries reassert themselves more and more often. I did the ice pack/hot towel routine for awhile, but eventually I "gave in" and bought some topical pain relief creams. Sometimes they do the job and other times they are inadequate. I had high hopes for this cream since it comes with a name I trust and puts itself forth as "extra strength". It really did no better or worse than any of the others I have tried. Once applied to my shoulder, it did soak into my skin quickly, so I was able to put on a normal top rather than one of those you reserve for doing dirty jobs. Some others are pretty greasy, so you only put on something you would not cry about ruining. I did not think I put on a lot of it, but I thought the smell was awfully strong. My husband agreed that it was very strong. He was able to smell it as soon as I walked into the room with him. The smell was not entirely unpleasant, but it was fairly medicinal. The strongest part of the sent wore off soon as the medicine soaked into my skin. It felt warm on my shoulder and did relieve some of the aches for a couple of hours. Then it seemed to wear off.

I applied it a second time, using more than I did the first time in case I had not used enough. Again, the smell was strong but dissipated as the medicine soaked into my skin. The effect seemed the same and lasted about the same amount of time, so I think I had applied plenty the first time. The directions say to apply only three four times per day, so at this rate it would only get me through about eight to ten hours. Since I am usually up and about for 15 to 16 hours a day, this certainly does not take care of my entire day's pain.

To get full relief, I tried using the cream first thing in the morning when my arm is the sore and stiff. Then the medicinal smell was gone by the time I needed to get dressed and get going with my day. Once the cream started to wear off, I took a couple of oral pain relievers, which I took again in the afternoon. Once I was back home, I applied the cream again to take away some of the ache from the day. I applied it again before bed, to help relax the muscles for sleep. I found this to be the only way to use the cream the recommended number of times and still achieve all day pain relief.

So my advice is to not look to this to replace your oral pain relievers, but if you have relatively mild pain or discomfort, you could use this to reduce the number of pills you take in a day. I did not find it to be any more or less effective than other creams as far as the actual pain relief, but it was nice that the smell went away fairly fast and that there was no greasy goo left on my skin.
on July 24, 2013
Love it Love it Love it. It works instantly. I don't understand why it was taking of the stores shelves. I have arthritis and pain in different parts of my body and this is IT:!!!! I'd like to hear from Tylenol why it's been taken off the market. I recommend it to anyone suffering of pain, whether is muscular or any kind.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
As I get older, I find arthritis pain creeping into my everyday movements, in my fingers, shoulders and hips so far. I have not used topical analgesics before, so I thought maybe I would give it a try instead of taking ibuprofen or acetaminophen. I thought maybe "the makers of Tylenol" would come out with some new or unique or original topical pain formula. I guess not. Precise Pain Relieving Cream is pretty much the same as most others, like Ben-Gay, Tiger Balm, Icy Hot, Heat Rub, Deep Heat, etc. It contains 30% methyl salicylate (oil of wintergreen) and 10% menthol. It works by chemically triggering the cold-sensitive receptors in your skin and also dilates capillaries, which causes the "cold-hot" sensation without actually changing your skin temperature. Does this remove or relieve pain at the area? I can't tell... basically the intense sensation of cold masks any other feeling in the area. Maybe that's the idea?

A secondary effect would be the 'salicylate' part of the chemical. This a derivative of the base ingredient in aspirin, salicylic acid, derived from willow tree bark. This enters your bloodstream from the skin and may provide some kind of systemic effect. Just be careful how much you apply though, since there has been at least one known death from over-applying sports analgesic creams (ref. NY Times article 'Muscle-Pain Reliever Is Blamed for Staten Island Runner's Death' from 2007).

Overall, I am not impressed with this product over any other equivalent products already out there (Ben-Gay was invented before 1898!). It does feel non-greasy when applied, although I'm not sure what all of the others feel like. It does smell very strong like Wint-O-Green Life Savers. If you still want a Menthol/Methyl Salicylate cream, I would just compare active ingredient labels and buy the cheapest one. Find a generic brand for the cheapest price. If you don't like smelling like Pepto-Bismol, then try a cream with no odor. I found a Equate brand at Walmart that contains Trolamine Salicylate. You get mostly the same topical analgesic effect without the burning sensation and the smell.
on September 9, 2010
I'm not quite sure why this cream has the Tylenol label (other than of course giving the company entree into the pain relief cream market, which no doubt will grow with the aging baby boomers. I can see the e-mail from the marketing people in my mind: "We need a pain relief cream. Just get the usual stuff and put our imprint on it."

With so many 'advanced' remedies around, mainly those with capacian (hot) and ilum (biofreeze) cool, there's little to recommend this product. If you're willing to sacrifice effectiveness for price, you may as well get a generic product. If you are a brand name aficianado, this product will be as good as any in its class. But one doesn't see a major brand introducing a new aspirin, and this product seems to be a marketing move along the same lines.
VINE VOICEon August 28, 2010
I have a lot of muscle soreness in my neck and shoulders, especially tension aches, and often use heat wraps for relief. This product worked at least as well as heat but is much more comfortable and will not come off as heat wraps can. As soon as I smooth it on I feel a delightful tingle and warmth, and I get quick relief.
The active ingredients seem to be similar to other products on the market, but as formulated Precise is not greasy, and the dispenser makes it easy to get the amount you want.
HOWEVER, like other reviewers,I HATE the smell of it and do not feel comfortable wearing this out in public, which limits its utility. Since Menthol is an active ingredient it may be impossible to eliminate the smell, but doing so would raise my rating to 5 stars.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon September 1, 2010
I've used a variety of pain relief creams, and typically find that they all work about the same. This is no different - it provides good relief for sore muscles. More effective for me than using pills such as Tylenol, Motrin or the like.

The downside to all creams is the way they smell. It's strong, very noticeable, and not a scent you want hanging about you when in public. So I only use these when I'm home.

The Tylenol cream is no exception - this has a very heavy smell that really knocks you over the head until you get used to it. On the plus side, it is less greasy than the store brands, and the tube is convenient to ensure you get just what you need. But if you're looking for a product with a less noticeable smell, you'll need to look elsewhere.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I had two automobile accidents, one in 2007 and the other in 2009. Both of these calamities have left several issues in their wake, one of them lower back pain. I have been through the gauntlet of treatment services, physical therapy, massage therapy, medication, exercise, vitamins, ice/heat application and change in diet. Since my condition is soft tissue damage, the healing process is nebulous.

One thing that I will use after working out and/or stretching is a pain relief cream, like a Ben Gay type product, since it really addresses the "troubled" area. I was quite surprised when I found that Tylenol had a pain relief cream. Of course Tylenol battles aches and cold/flu issues, but a cream was something totally different.

What I like about this cream is it isn't greasy at all. Once it was rubbed in my fingers weren't oily and/or greasy, I didn't feel like I needed to wash my hands a dozen times. The smell of the cream is a menthol/mint aroma, which isn't too different from other pain creams, yet a nice fragrance. Once the cream is rubbed in the heat is felt pretty much immediately. The heat begins to fade in about 10 minutes (give or take) and so does the pain.

As for the application, the tube is a squeeze container with a cap. The cream comes out slowly and the spout is tiny making application and desired cream amount easy. I wish the tube was a bit bigger, 2.5 ounces isn't really that big when compared to other brands. Nevertheless, it is a good product and it omitted my lower back pain for a good few hours, overall very good merchandise.
on August 13, 2012
Being a ball player in my late 20's, I find myself with achy muscles after leaving the field and in looking for an alternative to taking pain relieving pills, I turned to Tylenol Precise. I have always been a fan of Tylenol over other brands so naturally, choosing their cream seemed to be a "no-brainer" however after I got home, I realized my misjudgment.

The cream itself has a nice, soft, light consistency that isn't greasy or too heavy but that's about where there "pros" end. After applying, I did notice a warm, tingly feeling in the areas I applied it to but it was far from "extra strength" relief; and after an hour of having it on, my muscles showed no real pain relief, they mostly just felt a little cool. But the absolute worst characteristic of this product, is the smell...Imagine what menthol, peppermint, baby wipes and the smell of an old lady's purse would turn into if you tossed them into a blender...Now multiply that by a hundred and rub it on yourself. It's awful. It was actually so intense that I got nauseated and lightheaded to the point that I had to re-shower to remove it, change my clothes (which reeked of it) and I had to light a candle in the house to get rid of the lingering odor in the living room. It's that bad.

Overall, I am very disappointed in this product and would suggest choosing something more effective and far less malodorous.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
There are a lot of products on the market that basically fight for the same dollar, and now Tylenol is entering the fray of topical analgesics. Promising to relieve those sore muscles, this cream seems pretty similar to all the others that arrived to the party earlier. Capitalizing on the Tylenol brand, the chemical make-up of Precise has nothing to do with Tylenol and everything to do with menthol and methyl salicylate--any doubt as to the similarities to other products will quickly be dispelled by scent alone!

I like the sensation provided by Precise (and those other products), the sensation of warmth and tingling does soothe me. However, the "pain relief" notion, to me, has always been a part of the myth. Precise, and any other menthol containing product, doesn't really alleviate pain in the long run. The act of rubbing it on is certainly pleasant and therapeutic (especially if you have someone who can apply it for you--my partner wears plastic gloves so as not to stink of menthol)--but beyond that, the affect on the skin can be relaxing and I like it. However, there isn't some deep tissue pain relief. I will use Precise, but don't know that I'd actively seek it out on further purchases. Paying for the Tylenol label, in this case, probably doesn't add to the overall product effectiveness.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations