Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Tyler Perry's I Don't Want to Do Wrong - The Play
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

on October 27, 2012
A creative list of ingredients that make up I Don't Want to Do Wrong:

A dash of lyrical genius and impeccable musical talent (SERIOUSLY!!!!!!)
1/4 cup of salt and 1 cup of water for all the tears (REAL TEARS!!!!)
1 hollow brain with the voice of an angel
1 scarred soul and hopeless romantic
3 cups of spices, spunk and attitude
4 strong, forgiving hearts
2 tablespoons of laughter

Bake for one hour and forty-five minutes! You will most certainly enjoy more than one serving of this play! Matter of fact, I think I'll watch it again tomorrow... or right now! IT'S THAT GOOD!
After purchasing Tyler Perry's last play Tyler Perry's Aunt Bam's Place - The Play, I'll admit I was quite disappointed. Tyler Perry has released many plays and films and while they all possess superbly inspiring and ultimately heartwarming messages, sometimes the plot can be narrow. Aunt Bam's Place failed to have the 'oomph' that so many of Terry's plays do, even with its comedic relief; a lack of 'Madea' certainly hampered it. 'Madea' is absent in the newly released Tyler Perry's I Don't Want to Do Wrong - The Play, but the plot is more unified than that of Aunt Bam's House. Add the funny and popular Palmer Williams as well as Patrice Lovely, and the comical presence that lacked some in Aunt Bam's House is atoned for.

The overall theme of I Don't Want to Do Wrong is adultery in a long distance marriage. The adultery comes to head and things become a complete mess which requires much prayer, patching up, and forgiveness. As with the majority of Perry's plays, it ends happily, though if there were a quibble as to the realistic nature, the play could've ended oppositely and perhaps represented the more 'realist' view. Other than an over-optimistic ending, the other rub might be the musical selections. Sometimes the songs come off as flat (in general) in Perry's plays and are more annoying than inspirational as they are slated to be. The songs tend to be 'big' ballads slated in soul/gospel sensibilities, but sometimes don't pack the punch until they are almost finished.

Overall, I Don't Want To Do Wrong is one of Perry's better plays. It avoids the missteps that disappointed in Aunt Bam's House, while coming close to rivaling non 'Madea' themed plays such as The Marriage Counselor (The Play) or Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married - The Play. It doesn't reach the highs of say Tyler Perry's Meet the Browns: The Play or Tyler Perry's What's Done in the Dark - The Play, but it is solid.
on July 30, 2013
I Love these two actors; they are a great team. This play deals with one of lifes daily issues; Is the grass greener on the other side? Marriage is until death do you part; not when the money gone, lost of a job, or even cheating. God can cure anything with unconditional love
on April 2, 2013
I loved this play and would recommend every young couple to view this, As always, Tyler Perry leaves you with something to think about after viewing one of his gifted works. I truly enjoyed this play.
on March 21, 2013
A must see.
As usual Mr. Perry dishes out "food for thought" and a "deeep message".
I just love his work he touches your heart, and makes one cry, and then you laugh at always real life situations.
At the end your spirits lifited. Good Movie.
on October 29, 2012
I have seen practically all of Tyler Perry's plays and have become accustomed to the thin plots and weak acting deliveries, but the story line in this play was surprisingly good and the actors are actually believable. Even the quality of the singing is MUCH better compared to others of Mr Perry's recent plays. And if you've been nostalgic for Madea, Brown, or Uncle Joe, the characters portrayed by Palmer Williams (Floyd from House of Payne) and PATRICE LOVELY (my new fav) will more than fill that void. While this is still a Tyler Perry play (not Broadway), it was definitely worth renting and has now been added to my library.
PS. Ms Patrice...you totally rocked this play lady!
VINE VOICEon November 26, 2012
I almost didn't order this play after Aunt Bam's Place, because the story behind that play was very much lacking. But when I saw that Palmer Williams, Jr. and the Hattie character were in the play I bought it immediately. I must say that they didn't disappoint! The story was well written and held my attention thoughout the entire play. Without telling the story I will say that it was one of the best Tyler Perry plays I've seen in a long time.
on December 12, 2012
I was so excited to receive this in the mail because I purchased through Amazon for the Thanksgiving holiday. My family and I were so excited because we couldn't wait to see a Tyler Perry play. We own all of his productions, but didn't have this one, so you can imagine our excitement. After having seen Madea's Christmas which was OUTSTANDING, I'm thinking the same talent would show up in "I Don't Want to Do Wrong!" Ummph, it saddens me to say this play was horrible. I was so angry that I even purchased this mess. The only thing good about this play were the main characters that you see displayed on the front cover, other than that the storyline was extremely weak and the singing sucked beyond belief.

This play seemed like Tyler just was tired and was trying to put something out there and just threw whatever pieces of material he had lying around and just said, "here public this is yours!" As much as I am a Tyler fan, and will continue to be, he must up the ante a little bit here. He has to constantly compete with himself to bring out the best, and I hate to say it, but this isn't worth the money. In fact, what bothered me the most with this play is that no one was doing right. Everybody had "issues"! Needless to say, my family and I didn't like it and we were really disappointed. We ended up putting on Madea's Christmas and that brightened our moods!

Come on Tyler, give us star quality stuff like you used to do! What's going on here?
on November 16, 2012
I was completley entertained. Tyler Perry did his thing with this one. The characters of the reverend and his wife was hilarious. The theme of the play was great and it was real. Even the singing was great. I actually watched this back to back. This play will be my favorite non Madea play. GREAT!
on October 31, 2012
I was first introduced to tyler perry back in 2001/2002 and it was to make me laugh & forget the daily troubles... It worked... Love the movies more so than the plays. This play is funny but the storyline is pretty much the same as the older plays. Still love to see what tyler has up his sleeve though... If you want to laugh buy the play and you will LAUGH!!!