Published on April 22, 2008 by Jenny J.J.I.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why Did I Get Married
it's not a brilliant movie, but it has some terrific actors [notably perry himself and the always-wonderful richard t. jones]. it's writing is so-so, and in some ways it reminds me of a hallmark movie of the week--enjoyable to watch, but forgettable. i liked its sequel, 'why did i get married too?' , better, though it too suffered from some banal writing...
Published 4 months ago by karen lindsey

4.0 out of 5 stars Tired of the "ghetto fabulous" antics that are delivered in most movies...this should do the trick., April 22, 2008
My husband and I enjoyed this film very much and we both agreed that Perry done a great job with this film. Though he continues to put out films with an obvious "stagey" feel to them that don't work as well as they should even though they do work better than one would expect. In his second feature film without the Madea character, Perry again brings one of his stage plays to the big screen with "Why Did I Get Married," a film that works because of the heart and soul of the cast even when it feels like Perry's over-the-top preachiness is about to cave everything in. The film centers around four couples who gather each year at a Rocky Mountain retreat for your basic "save our marriage" therapeutic weekend. Being a Perry production, the weekend will be filled with lots of laughs, lots of tears, lots of revelations, a few heartbreaks and a solid Christian center that without the preachiness that often accompanies such a central core.

Janet Jackson leads the cast as the relationship expert who guides the weekend supported by her husband (Malik Yoba). There's a power couple (Tyler Perry and Sharon Leal), a drinkin'/fightin' couple (Michael Jai White and Tasha Smith), and an obviously abusive couple (Jill Scott and Richard T. Jones). Before the weekend is over, in typical Perry fashion, secrets will be revealed and lives will be changed for the good and the bad. The ensemble cast is solid throughout, most notably a well-padded Jill Scott as a gentle, sweet woman trying to deal with a cheating hubby, and Tasha Smith, who's blessed with the film's best lines and she nails every one of them.

While it's certainly easy to knock Perry's inability to produce anything approaching subtlety, it seems almost pointless to do so. Perhaps because of his lack of subtlety, Perry's films inevitably say things that most of today's filmmakers don't have the balls to say and it's rather refreshing to have a filmmaker actively speak out on issues. The scenes between Jill Scott and Richard T. Jones, for example, are almost achingly painful in their honesty and brought vividly to mind the utter shock of Blair Underwood's domestic abuse scenes in "Madea's Family Reunion."

Other solid performances are turned in by Janet Jackson and Perry himself, who proves he needn't be dressed in drag to be an accomplished actor. Toyomichi Kurita's cinematography is solid given the film's inherent staged feeling and that all of Perry's films continue to be modestly budgeted productions. Aaron Zigman's original music complements the scenes nicely, and, while the production design doesn't quite tear us away from the staged feeling, it nonetheless fits the proceedings well.

Tyler Perry doesn't really need film critics. While his first turn away from Madea, "Daddy's Little Girls," was a box-office disappointment, Perry's modestly budgeted films continue to successfully reach Perry's targeted urban markets and, with a typical box-office in the $50 million range, Perry's future as a filmmaker continues to be on solid ground.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good :-0, July 11, 2008
Little Miss Cutey (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This was only my third movie I'd seen of Tylers (behind Diary Of A Mad Black Woman and Daddy's Little Girls) but I'd heard so many positive reviews about this, that I bought it and I'm so glad I did. I truly enjoyed it.
It is a story blending four married couples who each have their problems. They go away on a couples weekend in the mountains and various senarios take place. It was good to see a plus-sized character in here (Jill Scott who played Sheila), but the verbal and emotional abuse she took from her husband was extreme. He was an outright pig of a man (although he's cute and played very well by Richard T Jones) who bought to this couples weekend, his 'bit on the side'. During the course of a dinner one night, accusations go flying about each of the couples relationships or infidelities etc and it gets pretty ugly. There are break ups and make ups and it is done really well. I thought one of the best actors in this movie was actually Janet Jackson. I thought she was very very good in here and I thought Jill Scott was only average. She isn't the best of actresses, yet she did make us really feel for her and her issues with her husband and her weight.
Yes the movie is a little long, but it is very enjoyable and overall it's well acted out and interesting and a new favourite of mine. I really loved this and glad I bought my own copy so I can re-watch it every now and then. It's great.

4.0 out of 5 stars At times, they don't know why they got married..., February 20, 2008
Mikeisha Best (Mitchellville, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
I almost always enjoy a Tyler Perry movie. However, there are moments in his movies where the goings-ons seem a bit too far-fetched or too sappy/mushy. When considering the casting, cinematography, and story line, this is easily one of his best films. He gives Madea a rest and we are enabled to see him play a serious role, and have a leading role. My favorite entertainer, Janet Jackson, stars in it, so I can write a very accurate synopsis of this film because I've seen it a number of times (smile).

We are introduced to four married couples, all with problems, some apparent and some harbored. Sheila and Mike, Diane and Terry, Angela and Marcus, and Patricia and Gavin. Mike isn't physically attracted to Sheila anymore, so he decides to date her friend, right before her eyes. Sheila and Mike are supposed to be traveling to meet their friends at a resort, but he tells her she has to drive at the last minute. As the film progresses, we feel and see Sheila's pain. Jill Scott did a marvelous job; she had the folks in the theatre cheering for her. Diane and Terry are at odds about many things; having children and schedule conflicts being chief among their marital issues. Marcus and Angela are easily the most entertaining couple of the bunch. Angela cannot seem to stay sober and her husband despises her behavior as a drunk. Also, he has children by another woman and, of course, that causes strain on their relationship. Gavin and Patricia have the best relationship of the bunch, or so it seems. As the film progresses, they endure their share of hardships that were previously unmentioned. There is a lot of comedy in this movie, but also many serious issues are addressed.

This movie is a bit lengthy, but you most likely won't have a problem watching it all the way through, especially those seeing it for the first time. I enjoy it every time I watch it, and you probably know why (Janet!) 4 stars. Great movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Tyler Perry Movie, July 9, 2008
L. Barron (Philadelphia, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This is the best movie Tyler Perry ever made. Definitely add this one to your collection

4.0 out of 5 stars :0), July 5, 2008
This review is from: Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married? (Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
With all the personal things going on in my life right now with that a side this is a good movie. The 80/20 rule is so true but this movie is fun to watch with friends and also when you are going through one of those things in your marriage it kinda up lifts you, it did for me and i am only speaking for me. BUT good movie

5.0 out of 5 stars I know now why I got married!!!!, July 18, 2008
B. Cohen "movie fanatic" (Irvington, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This movie was wonderful and had everything...serious, funny, and very realistic. Just when you thought you knew what was going to happen to these couples...puff...something real happened. When my husband and I went to see this movie we had just argued...about...can't even remember. When we walked out of the movie we were holding hands. We remembered that we had forgotten to listen to each other...that we were taking each other for granted. Hat's off Tyler Perry! Gotta go see the other Tyler Perry movies now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good entertainment, June 22, 2008
nodice (Manchester, Ga United States) - See all my reviews
Perry delivers yet again. It's an interesting concept script, though some of the situations were a bit unbelievable, preachy and the ending a bit too pat. I never get too upset about anything in a Perry film because i know that he'll end everything with a nice little bow on top. Personally I would love to see Perry take a few more chances in his films. Frankly, I'm stunned that there is no mention of Jill Scott in the special features. Sure Janet was okay, but Jill was the underdog and another recording artist doing well-no one talks about how it was to work with her. Am I the only one to notice this? Anyway, as for the movie, it's a must see if you're a Perry fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie must buy, June 9, 2008
why did i get married is a great movie . this movie shows friends marriage that may seem good on the outside.. but all their secrets are revealed during a annual vacation between friends.. this movie also involves some comedy.. it's very good this is a movie you would watch with friends.

i give this movie 5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Many are still wondering....., March 11, 2008
I wanted to see this movie while it was in theaters, but never got the chance. Now that it has come out on DVD, I am glad that I didn't. I know there was a lot of audience interjections going on during the movie, and I would have missed out on some of the best parts. I found myself rewinding and replaying quite a few parts. Not to mention, I have watched the entire film several times from start to finish. The cast was absolutely beautiful and all seemed to have great chemistry. That and the fact that Michael Jai White is one divine piece of chocolate, I will be watching this one for years to come!

I highly recommend this movie!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Marriage Therapy Weekend, November 19, 2009
This is an inspiring movie for all audience-married and unmarried, all races, and all walks of life. Phenomenal direction, exquisite music, and superb acting by each of the cast members make it special.

It is not clear why Janet Jackson seems to get so much attention and credit from the other actors/actresses in the Special Features section. She has not performed any better than the others.

The all-Black characters of high education and gainful employment are encouraging role models in many ways for the Black and other youth who may be finding it hard to realize their own dreams of prosperity.

The characters have their own personal problems that make them human, but they somehow manage to deal with them all in one weekend and make decisions for the future. It is a get-together of not only friendship, old memories, reminiscence, fun, joy, and laughter, but also betrayal, distrust, heartache, tears, recovery and moving on- a very well-done movie of Tyler Perry quality.

ARRAY(0xa91e0e7c)

Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married? (Widescreen Edition)
$9.98 $5.00