Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:$2.99

Short Attention Span Summary (SASS):

1. Angela Bassett stars as a single mother of 3 kids struggling to make ends meet in inner city Chicago
2. A death in the family takes them to Georgia, where they meet the Browns
3. A quick Rick Fox jumps into the crazy clan
4. Over-the-top characters, prolonged punch lines and unnecessary family secrets lead to a predictable ending

This movie has an established talent pool of a cast, and usually they can be depended on to put the "dis" in dysfunctional, but this time the jokes fail to flow smoothly, wasting the comedic talents of Jenifer Lewis, David Mann and Frankie Faison. Tyler Perry appears briefly as his most beloved character Madea, but even this feels like an afterthought in the context of the movie.

Angela Bassett is out of place for this particular role, but excellent actress that she is, her character signifies hope for single mothers everywhere who may be feeling overwhelmed by the pressures of work, home and family.

Some good performances make for a movie with a strong message, but unfortunately it's hard to see through all the noise and confusion.

Amanda Richards, July 20, 2008
66 comments|29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2005
I cannot stop playing this DVD. I watched it for the first time on Christmas night and have been thinking about the Browns ever since. I went in expecting to obviously miss the presence of Madea, but I have to say that although I'm interested to know what kind of interaction she would have had with the Browns, Mr. Perry made the correct decision when he decided to give the Manns their time to rightfully shine. It's a wonderful, highly enjoyable play.

Going totally and completely out on a limb, I'm going to say that I think this is probably the best Tyler Perry play I've seen (I've seen 5 of 7, soon to be 8 with the addition of Madea Goes To Jail). To be clear, I'm not talking in terms of outright humor, because I didn't find it to be as funny as the others, but more in terms of better writing, better actors, and better subplots. It also included better singing/songs; this time I didn't fast-forward through any of the singing, which is rare for me, because I don't like musicals and random singing. (Yes, this means I hate Chicago and Mary Poppins.) My favorites would absolutely have to be Tamala Mann and Terrell Carter's solo performances and the final song in which the entire cast sang. Those are the ones I insert the DVD to play whenever I'm home, and those are the ones I find myself walking around at work singing to myself; they actually inspired me to purchase the soundtrack from tylerperry.com. I have to recommend this play to everyone I know (starting with whoever is reading this and hasn't seen it).
on January 7, 2005
This video was off the chain, I watched it with my entire family and we laughed and cried, every situation was true to life and Mr. Brown know he can get down!! What Tyler has put together is phenominal, my entire family gets together and we have a Madea Marathon, I have all his videos and can't wait for "I know I've been changed" and "Madea Goes To Jail" come out. Go Tyler, What God has put together, let no man put asunder." I respect the fact that primetime TV couldn't buy your gift, you're right they can't afford it.
on December 30, 2015
The movie itself is great, I've watched it many, many times. So the movie gets 5 stars. I have several digital copies of movies to watch on the go and I brought this for the digital copy, but the digital copy isn't what I expected. You have to download this on a computer, not register it with Vudu or amazon. If I had known this before, I would not have purchased it.
on December 16, 2004
This play is VERY FUNNY.....it is a must see, especially if you are a Brown fan.
on March 30, 2016
I love every Tyler Perry production there is! His movies have excellent and talented character, wonderful and meaningful plots, a lot of laughs, a lot of tears, and wonderful endings. Who could ask for more? I got hooked when I saw "I can do bad all by myself" -- wow! That was a great one, and everyone I've purchased since have increased my love of Tyler's movies, and my respect for his great talent. Not to mention his wonderful acting in the lovable character, Madea!
on January 29, 2015
The lady who stars in this movie has issues trusting a new man in her life. This man is a decent man but she doesn't know that. Madea is in this movie (for the small part that she appears in this movie). I am starting my collection of all Tyler Perry's movies.
on March 24, 2008
Very, very, very funny! This movie is for the whole family. Tyer Perry, I know you might not see this review, but you have done it again! When ever you had your plays here in Las Vegas, Nevada I attended, God has truly blessed you with a wonderful gift, to make people laugh, think about what they went through or are going through. I applaud you, keep up the excellent work.Tyler Perry's Meet the Browns [Theatrical Release]
on January 7, 2005
This was THE BEST show that I have been able to sat down with my children and enjoy. Filled with laughter and real life circumstances with the right solution.
on March 27, 2014
This movie is an inspirational one that no matter how little you have, your life can change in a instance. It also shows that even though their are bad people in the world, their are still good ones. I enjoyed the meaning behind this movie and I love all of Tyler Perry movies because he is always about woman empowerment.