Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Wretched: (This Is My Sorry) forum

Type 1 Diabetes in Fiction Books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 28, 2008 12:30:12 PM PDT
MaryJo says:
Type one diabetes is not often brought to the spotlight. Is this something that people look for in a book? Can you relate to it? Does it help you, reading fictional stories that have true basis, or real medical difficulties interwoven in them?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2008 1:19:40 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 31, 2008 1:20:33 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2008 1:21:22 PM PDT
T. Eldon says:
It helps people to understand what people with type 1 go through. From my experience being a father having a daughter with type 1, it's scary as hell! My daughter almost died twice with her blood that was acidic burning her from the inside out. Her sugar went too high because she caught a cold and the insulin stopped working. Another time she wouldn't wake up in the moring because her sugar went too low and she almost went into a coma. I think there should be more realistic stories of the difficulties that real people go through.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2008 7:27:46 AM PST
MaryJo says:
Thank you, T. Eldon, for your reply. I have to agree with you. More people should know what it's like- or atleast know what it is. I've been dealing with type one for years and I agree- it is scary as hell! There are so many things that just come up that I was never warned about- my eyesight is going, my cholesterol is rising, my sense of touch is weathering. It's hard stuff! I feel like an old lady and I'm only in my thirties!
I enjoy when books take the real stuff and mix it with the "fluffy" stuff. The fluff makes the real stuff easier to take.
I read this book: Wretched(this is my sorry), and though I didn't always agree and couldn't EXACTLY relate to it, it is the first book of its kind that i've found. Maybe you'd like to have your daughter read it? Well... I'd say she should be atleast 16 or so, to read it- there's some adult stuff in it- nothing too too bad, just nothing for young girls to read.
Maybe it'll help her?

Posted on Apr 7, 2009 12:38:18 PM PDT
Jordyn says:
I found the medical language inside "Wretched (this is my sorry)" to be very helpful. Not only that, but it made me feel smart.
It's kind of like Jodi Picoult's books- Picoult always includes courtroom scenes insider her stories. Even though I'm not a lawyer and don't know much of the lingo, it still adds to the viewpoint of Picoult's characters- makes it easier to imagine what they're facing.

Posted on Nov 30, 2010 11:41:28 AM PST
Mary says:
While I enjoyed reading the book "Wretched", I left it feeling very confused.I found that the authors lack of medical information to be off putting..The girl ate ice cream and put sugar in her coffee (3 tps no doubt) and I was left wondering why this didn't enter into the discussion of why her diabetes was so hard to control..Also Drs would never do a kidney biopsy on a diabetic to see if they are damaged..never!! and her kidneys seemed to die overnight ...again un heard of. Kidney damage from diabetes takes years even decades unless she did something to them like take poison which would be acute kidney failure..none of this was addressed in the book..also she went skinny dipping and there was no mention of what she did with her pump during the swim..I felt that too many things were left out or un answered and thus perhaps the book was not such a great educational tool for living with diabetes after all. I say this because I have been a type 1 diabetic for 45 yrs and my kidneys are starting to fail..It is a very cruel disease and very hard to control and in a few yrs 1 out of 3 people will be diabetic..very scary indeed!!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Oct 28, 2008
Latest post:  Nov 30, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Wretched: (This Is My Sorry)
Wretched: (This Is My Sorry) by Katherine Marple (Paperback - May 1, 2008)
4.5 out of 5 stars (20)