5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Motivational typing program!
Published on January 7, 2010 by Marybeth Horton

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed
Published on June 5, 2012 by Susan Covington-Fumo

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Motivational typing program!, January 7, 2010
This review is from: Typing Instructor for Kids Platinum 5 (Software)
This fun learning adventure had my kids typing right away! The animated guides and super fun journey hooked them - they were begging to type longer and return to "Typer Island". I have students asking to come in during recess and lunch times to practice their skills and have developed a waiting list and timers to accommodate them all. The games are clever and teach them a specific typing skill. The skills build sequentially yet provide opportunity for review to reinforce their learning. You get results right away so the kids can practice the keys they are not as good at striking. I give it a big 5 stars. It's easy to load and run and has no computer problems or bugs!

5.0 out of 5 stars My son LOVES it!, May 13, 2010
This review is from: Typing Instructor for Kids Platinum 5 (Software)
I was torn between this one and Mavis Beacon. But I read in a lot of reviews that there were bugs in the Mavis Beacon one. So I bought this and I'm so glad I did. My son (8) sat down with it as soon as I installed it and was so excited to start playing. He even got up early to play again the next day. It tracks your child's progress (WPM and accuracy) everyday and you can set their goals higher as they learn more and pick up speed. There are a lot of fun games to play while they're learning to type. There is a map they have to work their way around as they learn each row on the keyboard and the main goal is to reach the castle which you can only do with speed & accuracy.

I'm very pleased with this and would recommend it to anyone.

I have Windows 7 and there were no problems installing it and so far I haven't noticed any bugs in the program either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to teach your kids how to type, January 10, 2010
Geula (Atlanta, Ga) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Typing Instructor for Kids Platinum 5 (Software)
I bought this program based on several reviews I read. It is a great program. Even my 4 year old uses it. The games keep my kids captivated for hours and they are learning to type at the same time. Highly recommend it.

Very pleased Mom.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, June 5, 2012
This review is from: Typing Instructor for Kids Platinum 5 (Software)
I am a library media specialist in charge of educational software at an elementary school. I downloaded this to try at home with my four children ages 6-11. I am very disappointed. The software doesn't take students through incremental instruction except for breaking up the keys into different "lessons." The lessons are just typing drills in which you copy groups of letters on the screen. There are about 25 groups to copy at a time. The Typing Island framework is stilted and hard to navigate, especially for a young child. It would be overwhelming for a child with any kind of learning problems. My children were simply bored.

Up til now we've been using Type to Learn 3, an older platform on CD-ROM. We will continue to use that. It only works on 2 letters at a time; the game format is fun; drills are arranged in small groupings of letters; and feedback is instant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Typing Instructor For Kids Platinum, January 15, 2010
This review is from: Typing Instructor for Kids Platinum 5 (Software)
Purchased it on Lightning Deals because of the good reviews and great price. I'm so glad that I did. It was a great leaning tool for kids to learn and practice their typing skills. A great buy!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poorly designed learning process, don't buy, November 29, 2012
This review is from: Typing Instructor for Kids Platinum 5 (Software)
I used two seperate typing softwares myself when I learned typing and bought another typing software, All The Right Type, for my older son. So I had previous experience using typing softwares or watching my kid using typing software. For my daughter I bought Typing Instructor for Kids based on good reviews. After my daughter used the software for a week, I was shocked by the poor design of the software. The default flow of the software forces you to march forward, there is no obvious way to go back to relearn or repractice certain letters you have trouble with unless you go all the way back to the beginning. The games and tests following each lesson give you letters you haven't learned yet which forces my daughter to type those letters in the wrong way and have to unlearn the bad habit a few lessons later. I am completely puzzled by why people rated this software so high. To me, a veteran software engineer myself, this is obviously a poorly design software which forces itself upon its users instead of leading people through their natural way of learning.

Jeffrey

1.0 out of 5 stars This could not possibly have been user-tested, January 11, 2011
This review is from: Typing Instructor for Kids Platinum 5 (Software)
I bought this software hoping it would teach my sons -- 6 and 8 -- how to use a keyboard; but what a waste because neither of them like it for the same reason: it's far too difficult and frustrating, even on the lowest-level setting. It teaches the user where keys are and then suddenly expects him or her to be able to rapidly type on speed games. As my 6-year-old says, "I hate the games. They're too hard." My wife and I tried the speed games ourselves and could just barely complete some of them (and we both type between 50 and 60 words per minute!). Moreover, every lesson includes a long list of words that the user has to type. It takes my kids a LONG time to type it all up and then the game tells them they need to improve their speed. So, naturally, they get frustrated. Needless to say, this software just collects dust on my desktop. Clearly this program was not tested on the users for which it was intended. If it had been, the creators would have designed multiple easy to intermediate level games.

5.0 out of 5 stars TYPING IS FUN AGAIN!!!, February 22, 2010
This review is from: Typing Instructor for Kids Platinum 5 (Software)
Using this for my 9 year old daughter and she TOTALLY LOVES this!!! She is really learning how to type in a fun EASY way!

Wish I could give it 10 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Typing in no time, April 6, 2010
This review is from: Typing Instructor for Kids Platinum 5 (Software)
WONDERFUL product!!! Can see why it is has won awards and is best selling. My 8 yo son loves it and is already at 20 wpm just learning. We do one lesson a day, and if he doesn't feel like it, he just does some games for review. Only had it 2 weeks and he's already got 75% of the keyboard down. I love that the games only use the keys he has learned, so each one changes a little as he learns more. The variety of games and lessons is also wonderful. It keeps him interested, and he spends more time on the ones he likes better. The tracking is very detailed and useful so that I can always see where he's at in multiple ways - speed, specific key issues, etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a pretty good beginner typing program, January 10, 2011
This review is from: Typing Instructor for Kids Platinum 5 (Software)
I started my six year old son on this program and after roughly two and one half months, he completed the program. Certificate printout and all. I normally have him type in the morning for about forty minutes a day, five to six days a week as part of his school curriculum. To complete the program, the child learns all of the keys to include the center, upper and lower rows of the keyboard. The characters (i.e. period, semi-colon, and shift keys) are all learned near the end of the program. Once the child completes the program, they will be typing at a "touch typist" level (Individual Software's lingo, not mine) in the 10-15 WPM range and will have all of the "games" in the program unlocked. While this is "fun" for the child, it is not nearly as structured as the completing process is. Furthermore, once the child has completed the program, they're going to expect to "play games" whenever they play the program so it migrates from an instrucional tool to a "learn by having fun" tool.

My preference once my son completed all of the keys of the keyboard was to begin really working on rate and accuracy. This program leaves off at this point. The games would probably work on this to an extent albeit in a very unstructured manner. I want to be able to estimate where my son would be in terms of rate and accuracy in another three to six months given the same time investment and this program won't give me any degree of certainty here. So looking for alternatives to maintain the structure, I decided to purchase the "Typing Instructor" program (i.e. parent version of this one) as this one worked very well for a beginning six year old typist. Interestingly enough, it has a "touch typist" level at the 15WPM default range as one of the introductory login prompts so I'm guessing the software folks have anticipated my exact predicament.

Would I buy again? This is tough to say. I might just get the parent version and not worry about all of the child gimmicks in the kids version. However, a $15 investment to get a child to the 15WPM range at a 95% accuracy over a two to three month period seems like an exceptional investment. Furthermore, at this "touch typist" level, they are fully capable at typing up basic book reports, etc. Their juvenile brains don't process information as quickly as the adult brain does so the lower typing rate on a word processor wouldn't be as frustrating as that of an adult.

Typing Instructor for Kids Platinum 5
Typing Instructor for Kids Platinum 5 by Individual Software (Mac OS X, Windows 7 / XP)
$19.99 $12.49