From the Back Cover
Quickly master the concepts and skills you need to successfully design with type
a typographic WORKBOOK
To help you gain a deeper understanding of the effects produced by various fonts and typographic techniques, designer Kate Clair takes you on a fascinating tour of the innovative potential of type. Extensive visual examples illustrate the use of type as an expressive communication tool. From selecting the right font, to spacing it, to the creative integration of fonts, she explains the decisions made by successful designers. At the same time, she provides step-by-step guidance and numerous practice exercises that help you develop the confidence and skills needed to put that knowledge to work in your own designs. In addition, a detailed history of type is included.
A valuable professional resource for working designers and an indispensable training tool for graphic design students, A Typographic Workbook features:
* A historical overview of type and typographic technologies
* In-depth explanations of the formal qualities of different typefaces
* Skill-building exercises and projects to sharpen your skills
* Quizzes and review questions that help you gauge your progress
* An overview of computer terms and principles
About the Author
KATE CLAIR is a general partner in Hats-Off Impressions, a design firm based in Binghamton, New York, and a faculty member in the Communication Design Department at Kutztown University in Kutztown, Pennsylvania.