From the Back Cover
Welcome to a fascinating tour of the innovative potential of type—A Typographic Workbook, Second Edition. Lavishly illustrated with more than 450 images, this Second Edition clearly explains the process successful designers use to select, space, and creatively integrate fonts. The only book of its kind to combine the history of typography with practical application and technology, A Typographic Workbook clearly illustrates the use of type as a dynamic and expressive communication tool.
This edition provides new and updated coverage of a broad range of topics—from a logical, clear historical overview of the craft to the latest digital technologies. Known for its highly interactive format, this Second Edition continues to include helpful review questions and multiple-choice quizzes, as well as many new projects and skill-building exercises that help readers immediately apply what they have learned. Other special features of this handy workbook include:
- Coverage of new digital technologies
- A clear historical overview of type and typographic technologies
- In-depth explanations of the formal qualities of different typefaces
- Fundamental coverage of computer terms and principles
- A newly added characters per pica (CPP) chart
- Charts of standard paper sizes and envelope dimensions
- Examples of standard folding conventions for brochures
A Typographic Workbook, Second Edition is a valuable professional resource for working designers and an indispensable training tool for graphic design students.
About the Author
CYNTHIA BUSIC-SNYDER is Associate Professor of Graphic Design and Coordinator of Graphic Design Studies in the Department of Art at Mohawk Valley Community College in Utica, New York.