5.0 out of 5 stars Is this the second best book on type?
Few books share the cadre of enthusiastic readers that Robert Bringhurst created with his Elements of Typographic Style.

But, Timothy Samara's Typography Workbook comes close, and, in some ways, is equally useful. (The two books complement each other quite well).

Published on January 30, 2005 by Roger C. Parker

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a workbook
I made the mistake of assumption. In light of trying to be helpful to those who are assuming the same, I should point out that:

The definition of a "workbook" (freedictionary.com):
work·book (wûrkbk)
n.
1. A booklet containing problems and exercises that a student may work directly on the pages.
2. A manual containing operating...
Published on January 17, 2009 by S. Moulton

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this the second best book on type?, January 30, 2005
This review is from: Typography Workbook: A Real-World Guide to Using Type in Graphic Design (Hardcover)

Samara manages to combine the technical with the inspirational. His tutorials on typeface design and layout are compellingly written and informative, but where the Typography Workbook realkly shines is the glorious color reproductions of type in use. Nothing communicates like color illustrations, and the Typographic Workbook contains hundreds of samples.

The Typography Workbook is an ideal choice for student or faculty alike. Text has been concisely edited, permitting large visuals to illustrate the points being made, as well as alternative approaches. Use it as an introductory text, a practical guide next to your computer, or for inspiration when needed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent author, March 29, 2007
A. McCullough (Carnegie, PA USA) - See all my reviews
A very good overview of typography in everyday situations, as a how-to and as shown by example. Many of the examples are in a style I don't personally like (I'm a traditionalist by nature and modern typography often borders on the chaotic in my opinion) but as a designer seeing what's being done out there is a necessity. This book is more than just a typographic showcase of current thought and work - it presents sound principles that underscore what's presented.

4.0 out of 5 stars they should take their own advice, March 1, 2012
Sarajane Helm (Colorado United States) - See all my reviews
This book is a textbook for the typography class I am taking. Although visually beautiful to look at and containing some really great information, the eye strain this book induces is a problem for me, and I'm not the only one in class to say so. Much of the text is set in 8 point type or less--very small--and those parts where the type is orange on black, blue on black, or grey on white are very difficult to read. I can only read this book in strong light, early in the day when my eyes are fresh. They state in the book that type should be easy to read, but the authors paid more attention to the beauty of the layout than they did to whether it was readable without a magnifying glass.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a workbook, January 17, 2009
S. Moulton (Hoffman Estates, IL) - See all my reviews

The definition of a "workbook" (freedictionary.com):
work·book (wûrkbk)
n.
2. A manual containing operating instructions, as for an appliance or machine.
3. A book in which a record is kept of work proposed or accomplished.

This was my assumption. This is not a workbook, nor is it a guide about how to accomplish anything. The book is a comprehensive and concise reference book inappropriate as a class text. I will say it is very interesting; and the examples are wonderful and entertaining for those who are interested in typography but not instructors.

...an unfortunate title for this book was chosen.

1.0 out of 5 stars Be Careful About Kindle Version, September 2, 2013
Please be careful about purchasing this as a kindle book. Even if you view it in the cloud or from your desktop, the formatting of the book is not the same as the printed one. This is especially important because the formatting of a typography book is part of the learning process. They have examples of text in the book that are purposefully formatted a certain way so you can compare the leading, kerning, wordspace, indents, hyphenations, rag, justification, and so on. These examples proved useless in the ebook version because the formatting is all the same. I wish they would fix this, because a huge part of the book is to visually see the differences so you can learn what to do and what not to do. Disappointed, and will be buying the physical version instead. Not a happy customer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best introduction to Graphic Design, April 11, 2011
I spend most of my time designing new websites for my clients and occasionally I will design a print piece here and there. Before I read this book I used to stare at a blank page I'd be wondering where on earth do I begin to "Design"? This book has helped me make informed decisions about all manner of the design process. Out of all the graphic design books out there, this is the one that I found is the best introduction to designing and layout. It has just the right amount of detail. Other books can be far too simple or vague. Attaining real solid design facts that I can take to the drawing board is my primary concern and this book delivers. I now have a new found appreciation for the white space in a page and know that it's one key piece to the design puzzle. I gained a clear understanding of how to optimise my paragraphs on a page so they're readable and work aesthetically too. I would never have thought about the aesthetic aspect of a basic paragraph while designing. I now know how to choose the right layout for a paragraph while designing in photoshop or Dreamweaver. Decisions about the letter spacing, spacing between sentences etc are all covered here. Most graphic design books preach about good design without specifying the real details so you can improve. This book is different. It's laid out in logical order with each new concept building on the previous one. Step by step you'll learn how to design every aspect of your project.

You'll learn how to dynamically break up space on your page. How to place your headings and paragraphs. If you want to start making informed design decisions, rather than just plonking something down till it "looks right", then get this book. As a designer, it's our job to communicate an emotion, thought or idea when our audience looks at our work. That's why we get up in the morning. We want to communicate effectively... a designer wants to know why a certain layout works well. We want to be able to take control of our work. Thats the true power we strive for and this book will help you achieve that aim.

I found myself reading this book while sitting at my computer or sketch pad and I'd read a bit each day. Doing this allowed me to really apply the new knowledge into my work. With each new concept, I'd incorporate the principals into my project and sometimes go back and revisit a previous project and make improvements. This is a rare book for graphic design that gives you solid design principles. They make sense and you can begin to apply them in your next project.

3.0 out of 5 stars bring a magnifying glass, March 16, 2010
Lots of information and examples. Unfortunately, the book is set in minute type- I'm guessing 10pt at best. You would think a book on typography would be a little more attentive to the "readability" of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value and information, January 18, 2010
There is very valuable information in this book when it comes to website design. Graphics, of course, are a huge part of putting a website together and this book really helps us find ways to make the sites professional looking and user friendly.

1.0 out of 5 stars This book is hard to read, and a waste of money, December 24, 2013
I bought this book because a recommended reading list of my teacher. The font is small, and hard to read (I have 20/20 vision). The text jumps all over the paper and I got frustrated trying to gather anything from the book. It was a complete waste of money, and is sitting on my shelf, till I donate it.

3.0 out of 5 stars not a workbook, August 14, 2013
D. Gardner (United States) - See all my reviews
I'm a graphic design student. I chose this book because I wanted projects and exercises to work on. I read the entire first half and skimmed the second half. I found zero projects or exercises. I found a huge number of beautiful, high quality design examples from actual working firms. Though in my opinion the modernist aesthetic is heavily overrepresented.

The typographic theory in the first half is helpful to understand the basic principles of how our ability to read text is affected by size, spacing, etc. Ironically, most of the text in the book is set very small and is difficult to read.

There is no discussion of the history and classification of type.

I would title the book "A sexy picture book of modernist graphic design: with superfine critical theory and analysis"

I'm still a student, but I suspect that other styles besides this modernism are still in demand. Try looking at the packaging in a natural foods market, go to a pub, look at wedding invitations, or look at book covers, everything from children's books to mystery novels. I doubt what you see will look much like what's in here. I believe there's a market for this style, too, but I think this book is way too narrowly dedicated to it.

If you want a more practical, broad-based book. I recommend Exploring Typography (Design Exploration Series) It has a catalog of historically important typefaces, many still in use, as well as exercises, and it's much more readable (no magnifying glass required).

Typography Workbook: A Real-World Guide to Using Type in Graphic Design
Typography Workbook: A Real-World Guide to Using Type in Graphic Design by Timothy Samara (Hardcover - September 4, 2004)
Used & New from: $9.88