4.0 out of 5 stars Seems okay to me and price was right
Published on April 12, 2011 by EastOfTheRockies

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE OF FIBERGLASS!
I admit, I should have read all the negative reviews before buying this product.

When mine arrived I just took it out of the packaging. I did not notice all those small needles until about an hour later when I noticed itching on my hands. But before that I touched my face. Many times. And my pants were covered with a lot of this stuff. Imagine that...
Published on October 17, 2011 by adams

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE OF FIBERGLASS!, October 17, 2011
This review is from: U.S. Patrol JB5076 Fire Resistant Document Bag (Tools & Home Improvement)

Oh, there was a warning about fiberglass. True. On the back of the packages in small print! But nothing on Amazon.

After inspecting the product I noticed many very thin needles on the bag. Some 5 inches in length, but most under a quarter of an inch. The bag was really covered with this stuff. An edge was ripped off a bit producing even more needles.

This product is not worth buying at any price. I can't imagine having to use gloves each time to touch my documents. I do not want to be arrested at the airport because someone touching my passport got some strange itching.

When I was buying this I thought this is a thick bag made of several layers of different fabrics. One layer for thermal insulation, and at least one for making this bag airtight under high temperature - like melting but burn proof plastic. This bag doesn't have anything like that. The air can flow in and out of this bag. Because of oxygen in high temperature the documents will get charred even before the fire touches the bag.

Bad design, bad craftsmanship and bad packaging.

1.0 out of 5 stars No good. Don't trust it., November 20, 2009
Catman (Salt Lake City, UT USA) - See all my reviews
Our local news station along with the fire department tested this bag. They tested multiple bags with fire temperature less than 800 deg F and all documents enclosed were turned to ashes. Also a seam on one of the test bags came apart in the fire exposing the contents to direct fire.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fiberglass Fiber Warning, January 8, 2010
It took days for the fiberglass fibers to get off of me. I never touched it again, with bare hands. Was going to donate it to local flea market, but decided not to inflict anyone else with it. Even when I tossed it into the trash, I taped a note to the outside of the package, warning of the loose fibers.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY, October 19, 2011
This isn't a bag. It is a cloth foldover thing - that kind of looks like a small pillow case - made of fiberglass. Fiberglass has shards. It makes you itchy. And there is a warning on the "bag" that this 'sheds'. This is going back. The description is very misleading. Do not buy this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fiberglass warning, October 16, 2011
I read the reviews before purchasing, and figured the postings about fiberglass were overdone. No they aren't. I just got done using packing tape on my fingers to remove the fibers. Do not purchase this product. Fiberglass fibers are tiny and you will have a hard time seeing them, but you can sure feel them in your fingers. I am returning the item to Amazon as a defective product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fiberglass splinters from touching bag, December 4, 2011
Like some other reviewers, I got fiberglass splinters as soon as I touched the bag the first time. Awful product I'll be throwing in the trash.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY, YOU WILL ITCH ALL NIGHT!, December 7, 2011
IT'S LIKE ASBESTOS!

I along with the tons of people on here, didn't read the reviews.. and didn't pay attention till, the other night, I was putting document in the sleeve, then I noticed how itchy my hands got... then I noticed it was Fiberglass (!GLASS PARTICLES).. and my legs and hands had tiny glass particles on them. Spent 4 hours all night, taking cold shower after cold shower, trying to get rid of the glass. Had to wash my clothes seperatley and vaacume the closet, carefully, to get up any remaining particles.

I'm not kidding, NOT WORTH IT!

Pros
Looks Neat

Cons
Expensive
Will get into your skin
Like Asbestos
Health Hazard

Not worth it!

Swen
(Charlotte, NC)

3.0 out of 5 stars Fire-proof vs. fire-resistant, February 18, 2013
Amazon Customer (Delray beach, FL United States) - See all my reviews
I found this on a website and thought I'd share. Be informed before you buy!

Due to limitations of today's materials, all safe products are susceptible to heat and fire damage when exposed to high temperatures for extended periods of time. Thus, no safe product manufactured today is considered "fire proof". Certain materials can provide resistance to high temperatures for limited periods of time. Safes properly constructed with these materials can be classified as "fire resistant". Depending upon the materials used and the methods of construction, safes can provide varying degrees of fire resistance.

What level of fire resistance do I need?

In a home fire, the peak temperature and duration of the fire can vary depending upon the size of the home, the materials used to construct the home, the response time of firefighters, etc. It is estimated that the typical peak temperature in a home fire ranges from 800 to 1200 degrees Fahrenheit. The typical time for firefighting authorities to bring a home fire into containment is estimated at 15 to 30 minutes. Paper chars at approximately 402°F. To protect paper documents, the internal temperature of a safe must remain below 350°F while exposed to the conditions of the typical home fire. Thus at a minimum, a safe should provide enough fire resistance to keep the maximum internal temperature of the safe below 350°F, when exposed to external temperatures of 1200 degrees for 30 minutes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems okay to me and price was right, April 12, 2011
Reading the negative reviews made me hesitent on buying this product. Taking a chance for under $10.00 (another site wanted $24.00) I bought it and have to give a thumbs up. I use this product as additional protection for documents stored in a fire resistent safe. I had no problems with fiberglass shedding at all. The bag is large enough to put several documents inside, is flexible and sturdy. Will buy another one. Hope this review helps you decide. Thanks

UPDATE: I bought two more bags. One of the bags shed some fibers onto my shirt. My shirt was dark blue so I could see the fibers. I still consider the bags useful, affordable and suitable for their intended purpose.

3.0 out of 5 stars I hope it works when needed, April 10, 2009
I just bought this bag to keep the paper valuables in my safe, that much safer. The ad says this 100% fiberglass bag will withstand temperatures up to 1000 degrees- seems this nice, round number is probably more for advertising purposes than it is factual. I would bet a major house fire that destroys an entire home would truly see hotter temperatures than that. The actual packaging says nothing at all about temperature or the amount of protection you can expect. Even so, for 10 bucks I like the added security. Most house fires don't end up in total destruction, so if this bag can add some time for fire fighters to put out the blaze, I'm in!

U.S. Patrol JB5076 Fire Resistant Document Bag