5.0 out of 5 stars just awesome
I bought this about half a year ago when the price was nearly twice what it is today, but I still thought that it was well worth it.

Published on April 6, 2009 by Benjamin Lerch

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead Drive
Published on August 4, 2011 by PhantomLimit

5.0 out of 5 stars just awesome, April 6, 2009
This review is from: U32 Shadow™ 500GB External USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive (Electronics)

It is reasonably fast, good for everyday use. It has also kept me from buying overpriced huge flash drives. Seriously, for $120 you could at best buy a 64gb flash drive and then they are usually big and slow. This hard drive is just about as big as two Corsair Voyagers.

The drive comes with a split usb cable to provide two usb plugs, one for data/power and one for additional power. It's recommended to use both to always ensure enough power is supplied. However, to this day I've only been using a single usb for data/power and I haven't had any issues.

My drive came with a protective sleeve. It can get quite hot if left in there, not dangerously hot tho. If kept outside the sleeve it just gets moderately warm.

I keep my games, videos, music, as well as system backups on this drive. It is very reliable and a great value for both capacity and size.
I might very well buy another one of those!

4.0 out of 5 stars Tiny, handy, practical, April 4, 2009
I bought this hard drive for two reasons - size and price. My buddy called me "cheap" because I didn't buy a 1 terabyte drive, but that's OK because he has to plug his 1 TB drive into the wall power outlet and his hard drive freaking HUGE! This little 500GB drive fits into my pocket. Seriously - it's about the size of an iPod Touch and holds 500GB of data!

The only surprise for me was that it has two USB connections on the one cable - one for power and one for data transfer. I have successfully used just one plug and used the drive, but I think it's faster if you use both. The only complaint I have (and it's not really a big deal) is that the drive does get hot when used for a long time. I plugged it in and started backing up my data. It was plugged in for about 6 hours, and it was really hot by the end. It worked fine throughout, but I was a little concerned with the heat. Now that I have my data on the drive, I just plug it in, drag what I need to my desktop, and unplug the drive again, so overheating is really a non-issue.

I do think it's slightly slow (even with both USBs plugged in) which is why I only gave it 4 stars. But again, it is a USB connection and not fire wire. (Or it could just be that I'm impatient.)

It's definitely a good purchase overall!! Two of my co-workers also purchased this exact same drive and they're equally pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, elegant, and functional, April 25, 2009
Up to this point, I've been using Western Digital Passport portable drives. When I needed a larger size, the reviews on this model caught my eye, and I thought I'd give it a try. I'm happy I did.

A few things I can add to the other good reviews on here:

1. The case consists of two matte-black aluminum "halves", which snap together using friction and a small detente. This arrangement provides for a very slim profile, which is substantially smaller than the Passports that I'm used to. The downside to this arrangement is that shock protection is minimal. Personally, as I try to "baby" my drives anyway, I find that the smaller size is more convenient for me. Nevertheless, I'd certainly be more worried about dropping this off my desk than I would be with a Passport, which at least has the appearance of being better shock protected.

2. The actual drive used inside my Oyen is the Western Digital WD5000BEVT, also known as the "Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500 GB". If you search for this drive on Amazon, you can see that it gets excellent reviews in its own right.

3. Due to the way the aluminum drive case snaps together, it is VERY easy to switch the internal drive unit. Literally, unplug the cable, snap it apart, gently raise the unattached end of the drive unit, and unplug from the socket. Reverse this procedure to install a new drive unit. No screws or tools are needed, and it takes all of about 15 seconds. This makes it very easy for me to swap older 2.5 inch drive units back and forth when I need to. This should also make drive upgrades in the future trivial, and has already proved convenient for "cloning" drives in order to upgrade my internal laptop hard drive.

4. In spite of the snap-together construction, when the enclosure is put together, it feels solid. I haven't worried about it falling apart during normal use.

I look forward to using this drive for a long time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead Drive, August 4, 2011
First the drive isn't as small as shown in the picture. Its around the same size as a regular portable external hard drive. This external is poorly built with just a 1TB 2.5in Western Digital Scorpio blue HDD and metal external enclosure. When in use the disk inside spins very fast and it starts to overheat badly. Also the cable is not that long(around 1 foot). After a week in use the hard drive made a scratchy noise and that was the end of it. The hard drive was no longer is recognized by any computer and all my data is lost. Very unhappy with the results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly small backup drive, February 18, 2009
I purchased one of these for my nephew, but found it to be so cute that I gifted myself one too. It is remarkably small. I was afraid that it would not be sturdy, but it is. It does not heat up at all. I use it to backup my pictures and music. Very handy for traveling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, December 16, 2011
I purchased this drive for my music collection and am happy I did. The casing is metal construction (instead of plastic like most drives) and is very compact, about the size of an iPhone. Plus it holds a huge amount of data. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it,Love it, Loveit!!, January 29, 2011
Eugene Brana (Rio Blanco, Puerto Rico, PR) - See all my reviews
Just what you need;
1TB in a compact case
If you have a Laptop this Mini hard drive is must have
and Oyen Digital provide it in a affordable price.
So far no problems, fast transfer and reliable.
Very happy with the product!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Working fine so far, however, ..., November 23, 2012
Customer (United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased two of these external drives in early September of this year (a little less than 3 months ago at the time of writing this review), and although the drive itself is operating just fine so far, I was very disappointed by two things: 1) the light indicator for when the drive is active suddenly stopped working and 2) there is an intermittent connect/disconnect problem when copying more than one file to the drive using the 3.0 USB port, which I now understand may be solved by purchasing a Y cable. I wish that information had been disclosed in the manufacturer's product description, rather than my having to be frustrated by the issue and research the solution myself. Because the indicator light has stopped working, my confidence in the drive has been shaken, given that the device was purchased brand new and is only 3 months old. I have since ordered a Y cable to address the connectivity problem, and hopefully, with that, no further problems will develop (despite the light having a swift death.) It is for these two key reasons that I've provided only a three star rating.

Update: I received the 3.0 Y cable today (November 26, 2012), and found that it did indeed fix the 3.0 USB port connectivity problem I was having. For those who are not "techies" make sure that, in spite of both adapters having the blue bumpers to indicate 3.0, that you plug one of them into the 2.0 USB port. That combination alone (plug one into the 3.0 USB port and the other into the 2.0 USB port) solves the problem. I hope other users will find this helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mini Portable Hard Drive, July 10, 2009
All I can say is no matter what device you use, BACK UP YOUR FILES! this one works very well, so well I have a few, to back my files and to back up my back up! price, size, mobility, and gets it's power from the source,

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the best!!!, September 26, 2011
So I first decided to buy this particular hard drive due to my husband and I both deploying and wanting to ensure that we had enough movies and backed up files that we would need. I got one for me and one for him. I purchased both in the month of April sometime. I remember it coming within a 3 day period which was awesome. The deciding factors when it all came down to it is 1. Majority of the hard drives that my husband has tested out seem to alway crash -so I wanted to try someone different than the ones that are the obvious. 2. I am a Complete cluts and always seem to drop things particularly electronics so it absolutely had to be durable. So far I'll admit I've dropped it at least 10 to 15 times (Yes I feel bad at the time, and yes it still works the same as it did when I first plugged it up and not even a scratch/dent) 3. It is small and light weight, doesn't require to be plugged into an outlet and to say the least I've been in the harsh conditions of the desert and still works like a gem. My husband swears by it as well. I thought I would do a review of this product since I am buying a second one for myself the first is full. Last of all since buying it and two of my friend buying different brands, my oyen digital 1tb has won the battle of lasting without crashing. My hats off to the makers of this product.

ARRAY(0xa91ce7b0)