Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

100%

on July 31, 2007
I LOVE this DVD and watch it often. My only regret is that it wasn't released nearer to the time of UB40's performance here in 2002. Nevertheless, for big reggae and UB40 fans (like myself) or for those who know little of UB40 music and their large contribution to reggae's popularity in the mainstream and the international scene, this concert makes an excellent introduction. As a matter of fact, I strongly recommend watching and/or buying this DVD along with UB40 HOMEGROWN IN HOLLAND (2003), which really shows this amazing 10 piece reggae band jamming a lot more dub than on display here. LIVE IN MONTREUX, with few exceptions, is basically a sort of greatest hits concert as the band had reached their 20+ years. Crowd pleasing hits like "Red Red Wine", "Can't Help Falling In Love", "Here I Am", and other well known tunes are performed very well of course. But UB40, despite often misguided criticism, is a true reggae band whose unique blend of Roots, Lovers Rock and Dub Reggae with echoes of Pop/R&B are prominently displayed here. The band's sound is tight, energetic and soulful. Some highlights include performances of "One In Ten", "If It Happens Again", "Rudie", "I Love It When You Smile", "Cover Up", "Johnny Too Bad" and "Reggae Music" and "Anything Mi Chat" among many others. No, UB40 is not some long forgotten band. Their live performances around the world are attended by millions, as their 2007 Live Earth and subsequent African concerts indicate. Though thier studio and live work has developed even stronger with age, UB40 LIVE AT MONTREUX 2002 is a fine example of how their music endures.
on June 17, 2009
Outstanding!!!! This is UB40 performing at their very best!!!! You get 21 great songs, that cover their entire career. Some of the favorites include:

"The Way You Do the Things You Do"
"Here I am (Come and Take Me)"
"Kingston Town"
"Reggae Music"
"Red, Red Wine"
"(I Can't Help) Falling in Love with You"
"Cherry Oh Baby"
"Many Rivers to Cross"

You get an approx. running time of 97 minutes.

This is an outstanding reggae DVD, showcasing UB40 at their best. I highly recommend this one!!!! Thanks!!!!
on April 10, 2008
This DVD captures the essence of UB 40. I Like 17 of the 21 performances. Even if you are a lukewarm fan of Reggae you will enjoy this disc. Their brand of Reggae is done in such a way as to avoid the monotonous beat that Reggae can have at times. UB-40 is not all Reggae. They can do soul, too. Many Rivers To Cross is a good example of Soul music to its very roots. It is shot with Hi-Def cameras, and it is apparent even on my Sanyo Z5 front projection/100" screen setup. The Hi-Def look was certainly the selling point for me as I am a videophile and an audiophile. The picture looks good, and the band sounds great. It will be interesting to see what Maxi Preist adds to the group as he now takes over lead vocals. Their lead singer, Ali Campbell, decided to leave the group after 30 years.
on December 12, 2013
A great Montreux concert by this great British band. Sound and video quality are excellent. You will see favorites such as "Red, Red Wine," "Here I Am," and "Can't Help Falling in Love (with You)." I borrowed a copy from a friend, watched it until he demanded it back, and bought my own copy. If you are a fan of UB40 or reggae music you will love this DVD.
on December 29, 2011
UB40 has always been an enigma to me. I don't know anyone who hasn't heard "Red, Red Wine", and everyone loves the song. So why aren't these guys more popular? Theories: 1. For "real" reggae fans, these guys just aren't hard core enough. 2. They are difficult to categorize, leading to... 3. They struggle for radio airtime. 4. They're a mixed race reggae band from... England!

Whatever, all they do is make great music, and it definitely is apparent on this concert DVD. As others have pointed out, the A/V quality of this disc rivals Blu-Ray. Similar to the Soundstage series of concerts, they recorded this show with high-def cameras - pretty expensive back in 2002! So, even by today's standards, this show looks and sounds terrific.

If I have one nit wth the show, it's that there is not all that much, visually. The band is tight and look like they're into it, but there's not much going on up on stage. There are a couple of theatrical tricks (one with fake fire), but other than that, don't expect any light shows or fog machines. Of course, those things have nothing to do with UB40, or Montreux for that matter. That's why it's a minor nit, and I'm still giving 5 stars.
on July 29, 2010
Love this cd. Highly recommended. All tracks are good and Ali's voice is so smooth that you can hardly tell if he is actually singing (YES he is) or using backup sound. Cant help falling in love and red red wine are by far my favorite tracks
on July 15, 2010
I love it -- you can easily follow the lyrics as this particular video has the camera on the singer's face -- easy to lip read, plus the view on the people doing the saxaphones. Beautifully edited. However -- I wish there were lyrics on this DVD -- had to read from my copies of the lyrics. I would like for any DVD to say that they have lyrics or subtitles.
on February 27, 2008
Such a great band and great live performance. I've been a fan of UB40 since their "Labour of Love" album. They are a very tight and energetic reggae band. Just bought this dvd and can't find enough words to describe how much I love it. Has my husband and I dancing around our living room! LOL Try them and I know you'll like them!
on December 21, 2007
Highly recommend this dvd for any fan of UB40. These guys have been together since they were teenagers, and it really shows. Fantastic renditions of all my favorite UB40 songs, and I love it.
on February 5, 2008
This is an excellent showcase of what a great live band UB40 is! The "Don't Break My Heart" version is to die for!