5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect in a Pinch!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:31 Mins
This is a demonstration of the UCO matches I purchased here on Amazon.com. As you can see they work fairly well! These are a must have for the backpacker/camper, I also purchased an Exotac MatchCap Match Case/Safe BLACK to accompany these matches. I was able to fit 13 matches, and I only had to cut about 1mm off the wooden end to get them to fit.
Published on February 13, 2011 by Mr3dfx

2.0 out of 5 stars Very poor performance...
I have used several brands of storm proof matches in the past and was needing to refill my pack. Wish I would have picked another brand.

The good: They do have a fairly long burn time (20-30 secs) and are in fact wind proof. The extra heavy duty strike panels were a nice addition.

The bad: They are not even remotely waterproof. When you lightly...
Published on June 9, 2012 by MonkezUncle

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect in a Pinch!, February 13, 2011
This review is from: UCO Stormproof Matches, Waterproof and Windproof with 15 Second Burn Time - 50 Matches (Sports)
Length:: 0:31 Mins

5.0 out of 5 stars No need to look further for emergency matches, March 16, 2011
I purchased these in the twin pack from Cabelas. I purchased them for backpacking trips and for my "bug out bag" (BOB - survival bag). I tested three of them at home. I dipped the first one in water. I blew forcefully on the second one after it was lit. I struck the third one on standard household match striking paper. All three ignited and burned forcefully without falter. These are a bit longer than most matches and SOME containers will require a small amount of length to be removed from the match to fit properly ((the bright orange ones fit them without cutting - the OD green container I have was a bit too short to hold uncut matches). I am very pleased with these matches. USER TIP: I did note that if the match is held completely upright, when the chemical fuel on the stick is exhausted, it may not light the wood matchstick below the fuel thereby leaving you with less burn time. If you hold the match horizontally or slightly downturned, the chemical windproof fuel will, when exhausted, ignite the wood giving you a longer burn time. Obviously, once it hits the wood, it isn't windproof at that point; it just burns like a normal match.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, December 2, 2010
These are just what you are hoping for in a match that doesn't go out in any circumstances. Plus they Do burn for about 15 seconds. They two extra strike pads are a nice touch also. Inexpensive and great quality- not much more need say.

5.0 out of 5 stars These burn., January 10, 2011
B. Stewart (Santa Barbara, CA) - See all my reviews
Wet, dry, windy, underwater, hurricane, in the shower, doesn't matter. Regardless of conditions these will burn. If you do your part (kindling prep), you WILL have a fire.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was amazed, March 29, 2011
I partially filled my sink with water and dropped one in , then pulled it out and lightly wiped off the match with my shirt before lighting it. It lit up on the first strike. While burning I threw it in the sink and watched it bubble for about 4 - 5 seconds fully submerged in water before eventually going out.

Later on I lit one (first strike) and threw it in a snow bank; it burned the entire 15 seconds, melting a hole deeper and deeper in the snow as it burned. Amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Survival Matches, September 7, 2011
The UCO Stormproof Matches are an excellent addition to your survival gear or E.D.C. kit. If you were to have only one type of match then the Stormproof matches are the ones to carry. They are windproof and will remain lit even after being completely submerged in water. The match will burn for approximately 15 seconds in windy and wet conditions. When used in conjunction with Vaseline impregnated cotton balls you have a great method to start a fire during inclement weather. These matches should only be used outdoors and would not be recommended for children as once the match is lit it won't go out until completely burned.

Pros:
- Easy to use
- Flame lasts for 15 seconds
- Windproof AND waterproof
- Spare strikers are included

I really like the UCO Stormproof Matches and use them in conjunction with the UCO Stormproof Match Case Kit as it is the only case I have seen that will fit these extra large matches. Stormproof matches are larger than most matches and therefore require a larger case. Most of the cases available are designed for standard size matches will not fit the Stormproof matches.

I highly recommend the UCO Stormproof Matches as part of your fire starting gear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent emergency matches, June 13, 2011
These matches are very impressive for use as either emergency matches or matches for the outdoors while hiking, biking, etc. The package includes two boxes of 25 matches with 2 extra striking strips that can be put in a waterproof carrying case along with your matches (keep the plastic cover on it so there are no accidental strikes). I took one out of the package and gave a little try. It lit very quickly and just to give it a little test drive I first blew on it from about a foot away and it was rather difficult to make it go out. I took another one and after it was lit I ran it under the faucet to see how it handles dousing and it went out for a second and then re-lit on itself. I was able to do this many times until it burned out. I am very happy with the quality of the matches. Also, if you are considering these for outdoors use such as an emergency kit of simply for outdoor recreation, I would recommend having some type of tinder packed away with you. A good homemade tinder is soaking cotton balls in petroleum jelly. If you would like a ready available commercial tinder I would recommend Light My Fire TinderSticks, these sticks are excellent tinder and light even when wet. These matches are a must for any outdoors recreation enthusiast and are particularly well priced for the quality that you are receiving.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best on The Market, June 7, 2011
I have looked at and used several types of "stormproof" matches and there is nothing I have found yet that can touch these Stormproof Matches. I have used them in rain and strong wind with little problems. They also have a longer burn time than others I have tried.

On other types of waterproof matches I have used, the remaining stick where your fingers are holding on to is about 1/2 inch long. NOT LONG ENOUGH, But on these Stormproof Matches there is much more room for your fingers so they don't get burned.

I have these in my Bug Out Bag and my SUV. Don't leave home with out them....

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for starting a fire in adverse conditions, May 26, 2011
These matches are just what I've been looking for. They light easily even when wet, and don't blow out. They give us a good 15 seconds to get the campfire tinder lit, and have gone immediately into our camping/emergency supplies.

You get two boxes for $4.50 plus shipping. They're not cheap when you add in the shipping cost, but it's hard to find these in sporting goods or camping stores.

We have a waterproof plastic container for matches already, but if you don't I recommend "UCO Stormproof Match Case Kit" which contains 25 of the same matches in a nice waterproof container for about a dollar more.

Anyone who camps or is prepared for emergencies that might require starting a fire or lantern should have several different ways to "make fire". These matches are one of the easiest ways to do it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very poor performance..., June 9, 2012

The bad: They are not even remotely waterproof. When you lightly wet the flame it sizzles, reignites but reignites only the corona around the match. At that point it's useless. Also, these are not even remotely "strike anywhere". They must be struck against the striking panels. And you have to do so delicately, the first one I used cracked in half when I struck it. Last but not least, when these burned they gave off a lot of smoke.

Whenever I evaluate matches, I go back to that old "one match fire" test. This would not be the match I would want to rely on.