4.0 out of 5 stars Great little Quad at a great price!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 2:11 Mins
Published 12 months ago by KK4QBN

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Good Luck
Unfortunately a motor stopped working within the 3rd day of having the device. Would not fly with 3 motors. Had to return for refund.
Published 5 months ago by Stephen M. Walrath

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little Quad at a great price!, November 22, 2013
KK4QBN (Chatsworth, GA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: UDI U818A 2.4GHz 4 CH 6 Axis Gyro RC Quadcopter with Camera RTF Mode 2 with 2GB SD CARD included (Toy)
Length:: 2:11 Mins

This is a great flying little quad, although it has been fairly windy since this has been delivered I have still enjoyed it, it does fair in light wind but it is a very light little machine and a gust of wind will pick it up and carry it away fairly quickly, It's a tough little bird though, I hung it up in a tree yesterday and instead of freaking out I looked and saw how it was hooked to the tree then I flew it right off the branch fairly easily, then instead of getting hung up even further up the tree I let it fall the rest of the way down, it smacked just about every branch on the way down and really don't even have a scratch on it.

The camera is a fairly decent little camera although I upgraded the MicroSD card fairly quickly, the 1gig card fills up pretty quick. I use a USB cable to copy the video files to my computer instead of taking the SD out every time I'm sure taking the card in and out so much will wear it out fairly quick.

The remote is great, it feels comfortable in hand and has digital trim settings and a digital readout showing throttle setting, remote battery life, trim settings, camera settings, etc, it also has the 360 inversion button you can tap to make the quad do flips, be sure to have some altitude before doing this a be ready to hit the throttle again to keep the quad from hitting the ground, you can also use the top left button for this, press it and when it starts beeping you can tap you rudder controls up, down, left, or right ta make it flip in the direction you like, this is a little more fun than just the 360 inversion.

Other than that there is not much more I can say about this Quad other than I love it, I do plan on building my own quad in the future and this is giving me some great training on the physics of a quad and how to fly one.

Let me add that some proper care an manteinence of your LiPO batteries will make them last long, There are many videos on Youtube on proper care of your batteries but here are some tips.

* Your batteries will come from the factory charged, but not fully, Charge them fully before flying.
* Do not run your battery down all the way, leave about 20% power in the battery, you can purchase voltage alarms that will buzz at a specified
voltage.
* after flying wait about 15 minutes for battery to cool down before re-charging.
* when putting batteries up for storage do not fully charge them, charge them about 80%.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Starter QuadCopter, July 1, 2014
My first foray into multi-rotor flight. I picked this up as a starter set based on advice from a local users group that learning to fly is best done before investing in a copter that does all the work for you by relying on gps and altitude locks. You will need to actively fly the UDI U818A. It's stable in flight, but easily pushed around by the lightest breeze. It doesn't hold a specific location or altitude on its own. It worked right out of the box as soon as I had charged the flight battery. Be warned that there is plenty of power to send this flying quickly out of your control range, which will then cause it to loose synch and flutter lightly back to the ground (or tree top). The only damage mine has incurred is the occasional displacement of a prop shaft that needs to be pressed back into place to fully mesh the offset gearing.

The on-remote trim switches can be used to dynamically adjust the stability of the quadcopter. You can zero out any slight side slipping or rotation by tweaking the three trim switches this way or that. Once that's done, the copter will park itself quietly over a single location until the next change of wind or joystick input disturbs it.

The onboard video and picture snaps are not high definition, but they are static free and very stable when loitering at altitude. You won't know what you've captured in the camera until you get it back to your computer to transfer the files from the camera via the included USB cable. For those who might prefer an FPV setup, there is an upgraded model of this quadcopter on the market that swaps out the onboard storing video camera with a broadcasting camera that your wifi equipped smart phone can receive video from.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my first, and I love it., September 2, 2013
This is my first quad copter. I bought it because it has a built in camera, and the blades are protected making it a good first quad. I've slammed this thing against walls, down some stairs, and into bushes and it is still fine.

It also comes with spare parts and an awesome controller with an LCD screen that tells you cool info like how much power you're giving it, the status of the cameras, and some other stuff.

The quality of the camera is like a cellphone camera from six years ago. I am using it to practice with and that is it.
It also has two modes, one makes the quad go faster so it is more appropriate for outdoors where you'll be fighting the winds.

One thing to note is that the footage could only be viewed from my Mac. I tried looking at it with my Windows 8 laptop and it wouldn't play it, so that is another thing to consider.

One a side note, it bends very easily, the plastic feels flimsy but I guess that is good for absorbing the impacts. Over all I'd very much recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and stable!, September 16, 2013
Stable indoors and outdoors in 10mph winds. Minor adjustments for our second quad. This thing takes great video and great stills at 60 feet up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, fun, fun for adults. Rugged, and easy to control., November 13, 2013
Almost worth the money for the laughable language in the instructions. Set it up on a bed, turned it on and it shot right to the ceiling and stayed there. The two Great Danes teleported to the other side of the house.. Rather than fool with it I just reached up ad pulled it down, then shut off the motors. the only real problem was locating the battery connector which was under a flap of plastic This was a blast! Able to get to hover a few inches off the bedding in a minute or two's practice. I'm a Sr. citizen and science editor of perihelionsf.com, an online magazine. Don't buy this for a child UNLESS you buy one for yourself at the same time! It's that much fun.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Good Luck, June 23, 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Great..IF! You don't get a defect., May 12, 2014
*Update at bottom of review!*

This a great learner quad. IF you get a perfectly working product, this is a 4.5 Star product.
There are plenty of great technical reviews of this product so I will not get into that here.
What I will review will be after-purchase experience.

The very first time I charged and fired these up, I noticed that one of the the motors made a different sound than the other 3.
Straight away it was very difficult to keep a steady hover. Had to do some trim adjustment and got it to respond well enough.
Upon closer inspection of the weird sounding motor, I noticed that the rotation of the blade made a noticeable "clicking" at a certain point. None of the other motors are showing that either.
I figured the motor wasn't going to last too much longer so I contacted the seller to see if I can get replacements.
They were prompt and courteous but they didn't have it in stock so they suggested that I return it since it had only been a few days since purchase. I did consider it BUT...
They do not have an exchange policy so only way to do this would be to return this and purchase a new one.
Unfortunately for me, the current prices are quite a bit higher then when I purchased it so.... it turns out its cheaper for me to keep my defective unit and just purchase a replacement motor from china for $15. I rather eat the cost of a cheap new motor than pay more for.... nothing...
Also you will only get about 4-5mins of flight time on the stock battery. BUY extra batteries at purchase. Flying for 5 mins and charging in 30 mins does NOT make for efficient use of your idle time. I bought a 5 pack battery that I am STILL waiting to get (shipping from china remember?). Maybe I will get it next month if i am lucky.

Potential buyers should be aware of what you get in this product.
IF you get defect free product, you will get a great sub $100 entry level quad-copter to fly indoor and out.
Replacement parts and accessories are almost ALL shipping from China, so expect LONG shipping time.

I will update this review after I finally receive my replacement motor and spare batteries.

Update *5-19-14
Got the 5-pack of 600mAh extended batteries. Ordered 4-28, received 5-15.
The updated batteries are nice, and having 6 (5-pack plus original) of them gives me a theoretic flight time of ~30 mins BUT, there is a potential problem.
After going though about 2 batteries, I noticed the motors of the quad are SUPER hot.
I do not think these motors are designed to be running non-stop for hour long straight duration.
No doubt they will last the full 30 mins of flight a few times as I have already tried... but I do not think they will continue to last in this fashion.
I recommend no more than 10-15 mins of continuous flight times with rest periods for motor to cool down.

Still waiting of the replacement motor...I think they shipped it via row boat...
Either way I think I found another alternative that can solve 2 of my problems.
Each replacement motor costs around $15 each. A quad copter has 4 of them so as long as I can get a full set for 60 that sounds right?
Well, you can get a brand new U817A unit here on Amazon for $65 shipped on Prime.
The only difference between the U817A and the U818A is the 18A has build-in camera, the 17A does not.
So I can get a full set of replacement motors including the main body unit, body housing and the remote for $5 more?
I am already invested into this quad because with the batteries, so sounds like a deal!

Remember I said 2 problems? Well the second problem this solves was the original problem this update started with.
Once I do get my replacement motor (shipped via row boat) I would have 2 fully functional quads to fly with.
This would allow me to swap my 2 quads at 15 mins intervals so they can both have time to cool down the motors between flights.
Plus will allow me to rotate 7 sets of batteries (5-pack plus 2 from original) for charging and flying continuously.
This way I can maximize my valuable down time with more extended flight time without the risk of reducing product life-cycle.

Some of you might ask: Why spend so much for a set of cheap quads when you can get a Parrot AR for a little more?
Well my total cost so far: Original U818A $65, 5-pack batteries $27, 1 replacement motor $15, U817A $62.
Total Cost $169. For 2 quads and 7 batteries with near continous flight time very little worry from crashes.
(These UDI quads are very resilient to crashes but VERY prone to defects!)
The next nearest "upgrade" would be the Parrot AR which is $299 at its base package.
Better materials? Yes. Better build? Yes. Better value? Maybe not.
You may get slightly better "experience" than a base U818A that is less than $100 certainly.
But even with 2 sets of UDI quads, the Parrot still costs over $100 more.
And for the job of quad trainer/beginner, a set of these will far out-last a Parrot, as they are far more forgiving on crashes.
After I feel I have garnished enough skill from these quads I plan on upgrading to the DJI Phantom (in cart waiting for price drop:)) which I consider is an upgrade worthy of its price.
Sadly my skill level is far below risking on a $500 quad, so for now these UDI quads will hopefully give me enough longevity and experience to take me to the next level.

I have raised a star for OVER-ALL VALUE to 3 stars, but due to high amount of defects I have seen in other reviews,
that was validated in my own case, plus the ridiculous shipping times for all related replacement parts or accessories,
it would be hard to recommend any higher.
Though I have decided to even go so far purchase additional units of this 3 star product, I do so under unique compromises that I doubt most would be willing to take.
For me, I needed a trainer/intermediate quad that was very forgiving on crashes, with maximum total continuous flight time (I don't have a lot of free time) on the cheap.
This fit the bill for me but definitely not for all.

I will do another update once the motor or the new U817A arrives.
The faulty motor is getting worse and the quad has a VERY hard time staying level even with very aggressive trim adjusted.
I can still fly it, but it just isn't as easy to control as it used to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable Quad For The $$$, May 6, 2014
This Quad is really very nice for the money. I paid $65 for the UDI 818A with camera included. I removed the safety canopy and replaced it with one I made from a plastic cup. This allowed the quad to be more agile due to less surface area contacting with the wind. I suggest the Turnigy 600mah batteries. These take about 45min to charge and give about 9min of flight time. Also, due to their discharge rate, they provide allot more response from a lower throttle position. The auto-stabilization is pretty extreme which make this great for someone learning to fly as well as a stable platform for taking pictures. The camera itself is nothing to write home about but it works as advertised. One thing to note is that this quad is virtually indistructable! Crash after crash, it continues to perform reliably. Out of the 9 quads I currently own, which range in price from $40 to $175, the UDI818A has proven itself to be the best overall value for my money.

2.0 out of 5 stars 2 defective quads in a row, January 30, 2014
Ordered one at the first part of January with an extra battery and had issues right away, the rear "B" motor wouldn't start at the same time as the other three. I do think that because of this it was very unflyable and unstable, I kept it for two weeks and flied as much as possible since I'm laid off to make sure it wasn't me. Decided to return it as defective and ordered a second one just like it because I like the camera and the fact that you can turn the video or the still camera on from the controller while its flying.

So the second one showed up on Wednesday last week right out of the box it would not sync up with the controller. After several tries both the way the manual instructs and reverse order of the manual didn't matter, made sure the batteries have been fully charged. So then I tried unplugging and plugging in the battery repeatedly several times then it finally sync this one flew really good until after flying for a minute or two it lost sync with the controller and fell to the ground. I thought maybe it was a fluke so I grabbed the second battery hooked it up and again went through several cycles just to get it to sync back together, wouldn't do it so out of frustration quit. When it lost sync in mid air I just want to state that it was maybe 10-15 feet away from me and about 25-30 feet in the air, the first one I could get it in the air higher then a two story house and 30-40 feet or so away without lost sync.

I didn't give up easily I kept it for 5 days trying to get this thing to work. The second time it lost sync I mid air it was about 10 feet away at only 3 feet off the ground, which of course it fell to the ground and this was after several times going through the same process as before to get it to sync up. So after three outside flights and maybe 4 indoor test I decided to return this one as defective too. I do want to also state that I had brand new fresh batteries in the controller and I did replace them just to make sure, all with the same results.

So I came to the conclusion that I wasn't going to try a third one, so I decided to go with a completely different brand. Received it yesterday(Wednesday) and so far no problems or issues and it flies great.

Sorry for the long review but unfortunately I can not give a very good star rating and I think I gave it a far shot at it which is to bad because I really like the way my videos came out other then the instability of the quad. This was with the first one since I never really had a chance to do anything with the second one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy, pay a little more, April 16, 2014
Item is awesome in concept but cheap in material. Transformer/Charger did not work out of the box. This should all be tested before shipping and stamped approved by manufacture. I had to return the entire thing.