Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Melanie Martinez Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Disney Infinity 3.0 Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day

UFC 159: Jones vs. Sonnen
Format: DVDChange
Price:$12.72+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on May 2, 2013
I'm not entirely sure how I come across in these reviews anymore since not many people give me a sense of feedback but I'll continue to go as long as I think I might be helpful to someone out there. I lead with that mainly because I feel like maybe I'm being overly critical of this card but I was just not feeling it. It's kind of unfortunate too as I had specifically requested off so that I could enjoy the card from top to bottom, which included the not so common prelim card which I've had to give up a few times on the last few cards.

This feels as good a place as any for a lead in, the prelims are a mixed bag of sorts. The first two fights of the evening were fairly one-sided, even though the first fight had some a decent comeback in the second. Largely speaking they are pretty much grappling matches. The third prelim is a closer fight before a third round finish but it's not exactly a barn burner. Most impressive to me in the prelims was the match between Sara McMann and Sheila Gaff which, although short, is to me the most exciting prelim. The next two, which were the final prelims, were marred by horrible, horrible endings. Look up the result, cause if you watch the fights like I did you'll be pissed at the sudden endings which are just nightmare calls by the referees. Just so upsetting. So, largely an okay round of prelims without a real standout to watch.

The first fight of the main card involved Jim Miller welcoming newcomer Pat Healy. Jim Miller has a reputation as a submission expert with a tendency for putting on some exciting fights. To boot, he was fighting in his home state of New Jersey so he had some motivation to perform well and give the crowd a reason to cheer. Now, Pat Healy was making his debut so there wasn't a whole lot to go off of personally but he had a reputation for being a good ground fighter with most of his wins coming by submission. What ended up happening was fight of the night, something I was bit surprised at given how good Jim Miller is. The fight was back and forth and while one fighter held an advantage coming into the final round he secured his victory by taking it out of the judges hand and sinking in a submission. Certainly the most entertaining fight to watch on the card.

Phil Davis vs. Vinny Magalhaes was, in my opinion, the low point of the evening. Phil Davis is a spectacular wrestler with a decent standup but seems to excel better at using his wrestling to secure control and then a possible submission (look up his victory by use of the "Mr. Wonderful"). He was in title talk before running into Rashad Evans and since hasn't really left the kind of impression needed for that chance. Against him was Ultimate Fighter alum Vinny Magalhaes. Multiple time Jiu-Jitsu world champion he was known for his amazing ground game. After some time away from the UFC he returned in the third quarter of last year with a victory and was looking to make it two in row. Sadly, this is a rather one-sided fight with the victor looking good but that may be because there was no real sense of urgency from the loser. Strange too given how this fight felt like it was do or die for the loser.

This was my favorite fight of the night. Maybe it's due to habit but when I see Roy Nelson's name listed on a fight card there is a strong chance that I am in store for a great scrap of a fight or a fantastic knockout. Some times I get a wonderful mix of the two. Either way, I get excited for a Roy Nelson fight. It certainly doesn't hurt when he's faced with Cheick Kongo. Kongo is something of a striker in the heavyweight division, only because he's attempted to branch out his skills. But at his heart he's a striker, given how he reacts when he's trouble at least. Depending on his opponent Kongo is able to put on an exciting fight but it is a case by case thing. Luckily what seems to be true for the heavyweight division on so many occasions proved true this time as well. This is the shortest fight of the night and ends by knockout, and I mean dropped on your @ss and then face planted knockout. Ya gotta love that, especially on a card like this where it a good finish wasn't very common.

The co-main event was something of a emotional match between Michael Bisping and Alan Belchar. I say something of an emotional fight because as much as these guys talked about their dislike towards one another before the fight it didn't translate over to the fight environment. These men are known for being good strikers, Bisping with his fantastic footwork with bunches of punches and Belchar with his hot and cold streak of knockouts. So, it seemed stylistically like a good fight but didn't pan out that way. The fight went how I thought it would, in that one fighter gained a rhythm before the other fight could gain a significant offense and then was just picked apart for the rest of the fight. Well, at least before the next string in unfortunate events for the night. This didn't change the the general outcome but man was it a sucky way for it to end.

Now, the main event. Jon Jones looked to defend his title for the fifth time, which would tie with Tito Ortiz's all time record for the light heavyweight title, against Chael Sonnen. Coming off their roles as coaches on the latest season of The Ultimate Fighter (fantastic job by both fighters) they looked to end the feud which started last fall during the whole UFC 151 fiasco. That's something you can look up if you don't know already but it's largely been done to death. It was all about putting talk, or lack of if you were Jones, to performance and seeing who would come out on top. Now, if you had any emotional involvement in this fight you had a pretty obvious idea of who was going to win. I will say that the fight is largely one-sided. Luckily, the loser looked like he had the kind of tenacity needed to leave a decent impression. Then in a night filled with strange injuries/occurrences it is given one more stamp on the main event when the victor received what would probably be the worst injury of the night, which is not typically how it works. A strange way to cape off a night.

I said it before, I'll say it again, this card did not impress me. I was not into most of the fights and the few that worked out weren't strong enough to warrant a buy for the whole card. I suppose my biggest problem is besides one great knockout I didn't feel like one fight, regardless of how well either fighter performed, ever felt uber exciting or worth garnering a second viewing.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 20, 2013

Special Features

- Weigh-In Show
- Post Fight Press Conference
- Rogan Riffs: Trash Talk

this is the whole card of ufc 159 and the special feature are in the dvd version when it's out.( u.s dvd release date 07/30/13)
on November 18, 2013
UFC 159

Spoilers

DISC 1

1.PAT HEALY VS JIM MILLER-in the first round here Miller was looking really good timing Healy and landing. He gains the takedown and eventually goes for Healy’s arm, almost getting it. Once back up Pat gets a takedown of his own and goes for Miller’s back. Healy also lets loose with a big belly to back suplex but eventually miller ends up on top. The second round is mostly Healy as he gets Miller down and keeps him there for most of the round. But like the last round towards the end Miller ends up reversing the position. The third round stays standing for a while with Miller trying to avoid the takedown. Healy stayed relentless and finally got it and eventually sunk in a rear naked choke getting the win by submission. But it would later be overturned to a no contest when he tested positive for “the marijuana”.

2.PHIL DAVIS VS VINNY MAGALHEAS-this was a good fight with the first round being somewhat even until Phil rocks Vinny. He landed a head kick and a follow up flurry that gave him the round even though Vinny had Phil’s back at one point. The second round is a close one with both landing a few good shots but it was a very close round. The third round sees a more active Davis take the round out striking Vinny and getting the UD.

3.ROY NELSON VS CHEICK KONGO-the fight I was most looking forward too as I am a “Big Country” fan. I knew going into this what was going to happen. After spending some time in the clinch once they are broken up it isn’t long until Roy knocks Kongo out cold. He drops him with a big right then knocks him straight out when Kongo was getting back up.

4.ALAN BELCHER VS MICHAEL BISPING-the first round was a close one that slightly went to Bisping. The second round is mainly Bisping as he peppers Alan with punches and leg kicks. Belcher starts to come alive a little towards the end but it is Bisping’s round. The third round is much of the same until we have less than a minute to go. Belcher gets poked in the eye and his eye starts gushing blood, the fight is stopped and awarded to Bisping.

5.JON JONES VS CHAEL SONNON-this fight goes exactly like many thought it would and I was not one of them. I really wanted Chael to win this. In fact I want any and everybody to beat Jones since I can’t stand that disrespectful guy. Still you can’t take away from the guy and his abilities and he controls this fight. The fight sees Jones take Sonnen down repeatedly and eventually get the TKO victory. After the fight you realize he had a nasty broken toe.

DISC 2

1.STEVEN SILER VS KURT HOLOBAUGH-the first fight of the night opened up well with Kurt getting cut in the first round. The first half was mostly spent in the clinch until Siler got Kurt down and was working for a rear naked choke that he almost finished with. The second round was a great one with Kurt coming back and making it a big round for him this time. He worked for various chokes and there was one point where on his back he pushes Siler off then gets up and immediately takes Siler down, highly impressive. It was one and one going into the third and both of these guys wanted it landing some big shots with elbows and knees and such. But it would be Siler who takes the round and the UD after getting on top and dropping bombs.

2.LEANORD GARCIA VS CODY MCKENZIE-Cody had a big opening round as he followed an initial takedown with a big slam on Garcia and spent the rest of the round on Garcia’s back. He ends the round with a tight triangle that goes to the bell. The second round is just the same although it takes a bit longer for Cody to get to Garcia’s back. The final round except for the very end is all on the feet and is a bit closer. But the judges see it rightfully so for Cody by way of UD.

3.BRYAN CARAWAY VS JOHNNY BEDFORD-good first round between these two with both guys hitting each other with some good shots. But I give the round to Caraway after he takes Bedford’s back and ends up on top again later. The second round is another close while on the feet but Bryan gets it down and controls for the last half of the round. The third round looked just like the last two but Bryan wanted the finish and he gets it with a guillotine choke.

4.SARA MCMANN VS SHEILA GAFF-now I am always looking forward to the women’s fights because I am a huge fan of females in general. But I love WMMA because they always come to fight. Right from jump the Olympic silver medalists McMann takes Gaff down and works over Sheila’s body until the stand up. They move into the clinch and Sara gets it back down, from there she moved into side control. She then put Gaff in the crucifix and pounded her out for the TKO win, big win for McMann.

5.OVINCE ST PREUX VS GIAN VILLANTE-the first round here sees both guys land some good kicks, high and low. Still it was OSP that took the round after a nice flurry that kinda rocked Gian. We get a close second round that the fans voiced their displeasure in. now thirty three seconds into the final round OSP pokes Gian in the eye. Then instead of Gian getting his time to recover the ref calls it in a bad miscommunication moment. OSP gets the Majority Technical Decision.

6.RUSTAM KHABILOV VS YANCY MEDERIOS-this was shaping up to be an excellent fight as they were throwing heavy leather and the grappling exchange that happened before the end was excellent. Mederios ends up dislocating his thumb and Khabilov gets the TKO in the record books.

For special features we get the weigh-ins, a feature with Rogan and the post fight press conference. This was a weird event with some crazy things happening in it. Over all it was good with the women’s fight and Roy getting the knock out.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 11, 2015
Another to the collection. Jon Jones is an animal. I hope he comes back soon.
on August 22, 2015
Great fights! Love the UFC.
on April 30, 2013
This was the best card of 2013 so far! A lot of freak accidents starting from the prelims to the main card. It's worth buying if you havent seen it. I ended up with a poster from it.
on June 24, 2013
UFC Pay-per-Views are funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, you get so you depend on them--no matter how bad they suck.

...That's institutionalized.

I wish I could tell you that Chael fought the good fight, and Jon Jones let him be. I wish I could tell you that - but the Octagon is no fairy-tale world.

He never said who did it, but we all knew. Things went on like that for awhile - UFC PPVs consist of routine, and then more routine. Every so often, Chael would show up with fresh bruises. The Anderson Silvas and the Jon Jones' kept at him - sometimes he was able to fight 'em off, sometimes not. And that's how it went for Chael - that was his routine.

I do believe those last two years were the worst for him, and I also believe that if things had gone on that way, the UFC would have got the best of him.

Sometimes it makes me sad, though... Pride being gone. I have to remind myself that some organizations aren't meant to be caged. Their fighters are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up DOES rejoice. But still, the Pay-per-Views you watch are that much more drab and empty that they're gone.

I guess I just miss Japan.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...