Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Gear Up for Football STEM Toys & Games

on September 8, 2011
The ONLY relative negative to this tripod is that it's rather expensive for a tiny tripod. Roughly double to triple the trivial price tripods in the tiny genre demand. This, however, isn't much of a concern if you're more than just a casual hobbyist. In all honesty, I use this tripod more than I do my other tripods, and that includes my $500 carbon Manfrotto. It is easily my least expensive tripod and I use it the most by far.

This, in my opinion, is a professional's secret weapon for backpacking/camping/travel/difficult-to-get-to locations without a crew. If you must pack light, really light, this tripod is a lifesaver for light to medium-weight gear as you otherwise wouldn't be packing ANY tripod.

My main initial concern with this pod was how well the tiny ballhead would do with a medium SLR on it. Um, REALLY WELL, that's how! :O I even put my D700 with 28-300 on it and it holds like a champ at all angles and is SMOOTH. Now, this has got to clearly be right at the limit of what this little pod is rated or limited at, but who is really going to load such a tiny pod up with such heavy gear? My D7000 with 18-200 (yes, different rig from D700 with 28-300 but still of heft) is held just fine on it. When using full-size SLRs though, a more stable tripod would be preferred. For point and shoots, this head is way overkill.

The leg quick-release levers are strong and smooth and work great. All other controls hold very well though the neck's screw never really seems tight and this could lead to overtightening. Moderate screw tightness combined with the neck's barrel tightener provide solid neck locking.

You have to understand that such a light tripod will by physical nature not be real steady and fall victim to breezes. This will be true of every tiny/lightweight tripod, not just this one. If you're shooting with the legs extended, you will want to use your self-timer so that you don't cause vibration by pressing the shutter button with your finger. If your camera can take a cable release or has a remote control release, USE IT. Hanging a little weight on the tripod (camera and hanging weight combined should TOTAL about 5 pounds) or gently pressing down on the base would help also.

Now, it does not get very tall. I assume you know this since you're looking at tiny tripods and that this is okay with you. You'll be shooting from around waist-level without extension or chest level with full extension. As long as this does not limit you, you'll love this tripod. If you need a full-height tripod, none of this tripod's virtues will matter.

My criteria for this (my casual hiking/travel) tripod was that with head it be under 2 pounds and not more than 18 inches when compacted. This tripod met that criteria coming in 1/4 pound lighter and 4 full inches more compact than my very exclusive criteria. It is the ONLY tripod of any quality to meet that criteria and though I was ready make a lot of sacrifices to meet such stringent criteria, I really got GREAT quality and respectable stability! This tiny ballhead holds tilt positions stronger than my $150 Manfrotto 327RC2 grip head. I'm not exaggerating at all. The 327RC2, relying on spring pressure to grip the ball, actually will slip with heavier gear that the Slik Mini II clamp ballhead will hold. My D700 with 28-300 is the perfect example. That rig is really too much for the 327RC2 at tilt angles but this little clamp ballhead will hold the position.

I permanently leave mine in my light hiking/travel backpack with my waterproof point and shoot (Lumix TS2)... because you never know when that once-in-a-lifetime rainbow or flower shot or great background for a self-portrait will present itself. 80 bucks for lots of photos you otherwise wouldn't get. Money well-spent. :)

Seriously, if you need a tiny tripod, you're not going to do better than this one. You're not. I truly have to repeat this: you will NOT find a better tiny tripod than this one. Period. Even if you spend more. More expensive alternatives come in bigger and heavier. This is the tiniest and lightest with such impressive capabilities. It is an ideal travel tripod that you can actually take around with you because of its size and weight. Anything bigger/heavier becomes burdensome. Anything smaller is a TOTAL joke and doesn't even do a good job holding tiny point and shoots and keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't break after first use. Even other tripods around this size are total garbage that don't function well and break in no time. This is a SMART, very well-designed purposeful tripod designed to be used and used and used by photographers! Its tiny size, its greatest attribute, means that you actually WILL be packing a tripod when you otherwise wouldn't be. Like I said, mine's in my backpack taking up next to no space and I don't even know it's there... until I need it. ;)
on November 9, 2014
Items were received without a box, manual or batteries. Holder does not hold the phone in place. I would not order these again
on November 19, 2014
Horrible design. Very cheap and flimsy. The extendable pole is very cheaply made and does not stay in place but will continue to turn in itself as there is no resistance or 'locking' of each section. So the weight of your phone will just have the whole thing falling over in a never ending circle and will never stay up. The clamp is terrible and the screw will unscrew itself when rotating the pole so it does not stay in place.
The Bluetooth remote is the only slightly good thing about this but even that is flimsy and is slow to respond.
Just an overall waste of money because you will not be able to use the pole as intended. Do not buy if your phone is not small or light as a feather. Just don't buy it at all.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 26, 2009
The Slik Sprint Mini II Tripod I received was made in Thailand and a "Most Excellent" product for the $78 price. In terms of value, engineering, selection of materials used, the quality of the individual parts, to the ease of operation I recommend this product as a MUST HAVE for any active photographer.

Yes, the Slik Mini II is small and compact but that is exactly what a person wants in a travel tripod. This unit is light and sets up very fast. The quick release tripod adapter is a nice new addition over the last model and the primary motivator for me to give this light weight yet fairly stiff tripod a chance with the rest of the gear.

The ball head for the value is smooth, locks into place firmly and holds a fully outfitted Pentax K20D with BG2 battery pack, 360 Flash and 18-50 f2.8 Sigma at full height with grace (no wind). Granted, a load of this nature is pushing the tripod's design envelope but even then, the Slik Mini II took the load very well. Just make sure for optimum stability that you have a tripod leg extended in the same direction as the lens.

The foam padding on the legs are a nice touch and make the tripod look like a mini version of a Bogen 3021. The gun metal finish looks sharp and resonates of a grade above the casual photographer, and an item that those in the profession would not feel diminished in anyway while using this product. The plastic quick releases on the legs are sufficiently large enough that the releases feel secure when locked and not too large that they add unnecessary bulk to the legs and make packing the tripod more cumbersome. Although the leg releases are made of plastic, the grade of plastic used appears to be of high quality and does not plant a concern in my mind.

I like the discreet angle stops for the legs and the two piece center post. When fully collapsed and ball head tilted to the side, this tripod is about 13.5" long and as compact as most any travel tripod I have seen. The Slik Mini II also feels stronger and stiffer than the other tripods in its class. This tripod also fits very nicely and sung in the external vertical side pocket of a SYNERGY Computer Backpack from Swiss Gear with just the ballhead portion of the tripod exposed. The compression style center post collar nut turns smoothly and a nice feature that adds extra stiffness to the tripod at full height.

As a minor operational limitation, the Slik Mini II tripod, can only pan safely when the center post is fully lowered. Also minor, adjusting the center post compression nut may be difficult to loosen and tighten with gloves on.

If I were to make some slight changes it would be to add a rotation or some sort of panning feature to the ball head. I frequently like to take images I can stitch together later to make a panorama, and it is nice when I can get consistent angular spacing between the images.

Second, I would add a leg angle setting that lied between the first and second angle stop. I'm guessing that the first two setting are at 30 and 60 degrees from the tripod center line. With the legs fully collapsed and set at 30 degrees, I feel safe leaving a small Canon Elf 790 on the tripod and walking away or turn my back for a moment, but not with the K20D. With the K20D, I feel it prudent to extend the legs, at the minimum, two additional segments for the sake of equipment safety.

With the tripod legs set to 60 degrees, the legs are more open than I would normal like because then, the tripod starts to take up a larger foot print than need be, limiting it's over all versatility. An additional angle stop, somewhere around 45 degrees, would be very nice as it would increase tripod flexibility and compaired to the 30 degree stop provide an extra sense of equipment safety when mounted with a loaded DSLR.

Third, it would be nice if the tripod came with one more extension piece for the center post for those times I want to get a group photo and have the camera closer to chest height. It could be a sub diameter column piece that fits inside the current top post section and hence not increase the overall length of the tripod when collapse.

Last, I would increase the surface area of the camera tripod adapter plate on the order off 15-20%. The current size of the plate now is as small a plate as I would want attached to the bottom of a fully dressed DSLR.

In the past 7 years I have trashed 4 travel/compact tripods from a lesser Slik Compact XL (pan head camera plate insert fell out and got lost), a Giottos Mini (ripped out leg segment), a Sima (broke a leg hinge), to a Velbon (twist lock miss threaded from grit) and this Slik MINI II tripod looks to be the most promising candidate to date to last a few years or more.

Item was promptly shipped by Adorama Camera.
on April 28, 2014
Okay, I am always skeptical about buying anything without reviews - whether it be on Amazon or any other website. I took a chance with this item and was so pleasantly surprised! It did exactly what I need it to do - take pictures from far away. This is perfect for couples who enjoy doing things together but don't necessarily want to keep asking people to take their picture or even keep asking when it came out terrible because the stranger you asked had his finger blocking the flash or had shaky hands. My boyfriend & I used this on a hiking trip where finding someone to take our picture would be difficult to begin with. We got to the top of the mountain and were able to take a wonderful picture of ourselves and the best part is you can't even tell we took it! If you angle it the right way and hold your hand low, it looks amazing! Tip: Download the Camera+ app and use the timer setting.

My only compliant is that it's incredibly sturdy in the pole part which is good and bad. Good because it's obviously sturdy but bad because I feel like I may break it when trying to rip it open. The top piece that holds your phone is also a little loose (even though I keep tightening it) and the holder could be a little tighter. All in all, it's amazing but with a few manufacturing tweaks, it would be perfect.

EDIT 7/10/14:
It seems this item has changed slightly since I was the first to review so I just wanted to quickly update. I have the blue pole "Sold by Esaci and Fulfilled by Amazon". It's still going strong and I still use the timer setting on the Camera+ app in the Apple app store (so you don't need a remote).
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 2, 2015
Nice inexpensive monopod! Works well with iPhone 5s with iOS 6. Simple to setup and use, and supported my 5s fully extended without issue.
Seller was slow to ship but nothing to worry about for the price.
on August 23, 2014
The monopod easily got loose after a few uses. While aiming to shoot Landscape, camera tilts to portrate.
Happens all the time. Is not worth owning.

The bluetooth is reliable for both video shooting and still photography. I RATE THE BLUETOOTH 5 STARS.
on October 28, 2014
We bought this to use on our trips because it's normally just me and my husband. We used this on our last trip, and it worked great. We had no problems fitting an iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus. We felt like the phones were held securely. The arm works well, and the shutter worked great. We're very happy with this.
on March 3, 2015
The little controller is not working!!!!!!!!
on March 25, 2015
The absolute best! I have the iPhone 6 and it works wonderfully with it đź‘Ť highly recomend