5.0 out of 5 stars A good first Album
Published on August 17, 2000 by Jets_Books

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT A TREASURE, JUST A LOOSEN PEARL
Listening to the first UFO album may not be a rewarding experience as many fans would think. Instead, it makes us miss the others even more, particularly those with the superb guitarist Michael Schenker, albeit I must own Mick Bolton had fit the bill in the event. On the other hand, UFO 1 is a good token of the high aspirations of four pretty young musicians who were just...
Published on October 22, 2005 by Cleiton Braz Silva

5.0 out of 5 stars A good first Album, August 17, 2000
This review is from: UFO 1 (Audio CD)
For diehard ufo fans, this is the begining of the band, and the start of a hard rock story that endures to this day. This album is a product of the times in which it was created, the echoes of the sixties were fading, and the violence and upheaval of the seventies were on the horizon, and ufo was there to create some sounds that were different than the peace and love era, and a preview of things to come. With the first incarnation of this band, they delivered some solid tunes, timothy is a great tribute to the orginal guru of the acid days, boogie for george is a solid rockin tune as well, all the songs are cool, and this is a must have album for the collector, and a good intro to the band before they became the icons of the area shows of the seventies during the michael era. Give it a listen, and turn on, tune in , and drop back to a time when the winds of change were a coming.

5.0 out of 5 stars great early rock, May 9, 2010
This review is from: UFO 1 (Audio CD)
While it's true the first UFO album is *significantly* different from the more popular and successful Michael Schenker years, that absolutely does NOT mean the lead guitarist playing on this album is any worse.

I think all the comparisons to Schenker are totally unfair. Who cares if the Schenker version of the band is the one that became famous? That doesn't make the first two UFO albums automatically bad. Laughable to think it does, in fact.

What matters is that Mick Bolton holds his own very well.

Yes, it's true their follow-up, hour long Flying album is easily better than most of the songs here, but that certainly doesn't mean UFO 1 is horrible in comparison to future UFO albums. I don't get all the hate for this album at all.

Oh, and what's up with all the hate concerning Mick Bolton's guitar solos? People people, you're hating extremely melodic and bluesy guitar solos. Just because the guy isn't on the same level as Eric Clapton, George Harrison, or Tony Iommi doesn't mean his playing is downright awful. It's honestly really good guitar playing. The way people talk about his playing on here, you'd think he's the worst player in the entire world, and that's definitely not true.

Now, I don't know if his style of guitar playing needs several listens in order to fully appreciate, or whether my taste in music has just simply changed over the years, but I can say for a fact that 10 years ago I could NOT appreciate Bolton's guitar playing as much as I can nowadays.

This album has grown on me significantly over the years and now I consider it one of UFO's very best. Flying is still the ultimate example of the bands guitar talents (plus features improved songwriting skills) so I guess UFO 1 would be the bands next best album.

Whether the same will happen to you -and you learn to adjust to Bolton's style or not- is something I don't have an answer to, I'm afraid. I *hope* most people who feel negatively towards this album eventually grow to appreciate his style.

This album has won me over BIG time. 10 years ago I wouldn't have been able to say that.

I personally feel Mick Bolton is better than other famous guitarists such as Robin Trower, Peter Frampton, and Ritchie Blackmore. Just a matter of personal taste.

If UFO's first album has one major flaw it's that the songwriting just wasn't there yet. You have a few cover songs, and that's not exactly surprising to me considering the year the record was released, it's just slightly disappointing. At least Bolton's guitar work makes up for it with his dazzling display really enhancing the entire album.

Also the album is very short at just 35 minutes.

I honestly think people don't particularly care for Mick Bolton because he's just one of several blues guitarists from back in the day, and perhaps in many peoples minds there's no room left for more. I have to disagree of course.

This version of "(Come Away) Melinda" is a bit odd compared to Uriah Heep's more noticeably haunting and atmospheric version, but I like it all the same. "Boogie" is a brilliant display of melodic guitar soloing. "C'mon Everybody" is a perfect party song. "Evil" is quite possibly the most underrated song here. I LOVE everything about this one.

I also admire the rhythm section in "Shake It About" when it speeds up halfway through and delivers with more tasty guitar licks. I love it. Nothing floors me quite like "Unidentified Flying Object" though. The guitar playing on this track is just out of this world to me.

Yup, this album was a sleeper success for me personally. I'll say it again- I didn't get this album when I first heard it 10 years ago, but I *definitely* get it now. A brilliant party album from start to finish.

5.0 out of 5 stars UFO's First Step, January 12, 2006
R Greco (Norfolk, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: UFO 1 (Audio CD)
When you listen to these first songs by UFO, you will immediately hear a mixture of 60's Psychedelia/Acid Rock mixed with Heavy Blues/Early Metal. The guitar tone is exceptionally excellent in that there is wah-wah, old fuzz-tone distortion and some not so great phase shift (not a band error, but an engineering error). Get this release if you want to hear the transition of Rock from the late 60's into the early 70's.

4.0 out of 5 stars psych rock /early metal gem, January 29, 2011
Michael Dobey (colorado springs) - See all my reviews
This review is from: UFO 1 (Audio CD)
This cd is alot more accessible than their next one;
Ufo 2 by a long shot. It has alot of shorter songs that fit into the waning days of psych/acid rock morphing into early metal period , if you are not a fan of acid rock then you won't be as happy with this one as you would be with the great metal stuff this band put out starting in 1973. This was 1970 though and it did have the hit single 'c'mon everybody' on it , it's a great version of the Eddie Cochran hit from 11 years earlier. This effort was recorded quickly and basically seems to be the band live in a studio. It's not flashy at all and primitive to boot without being muddled or badly produced though. Several of the songs here like 'boogie for george' would last in their live reperotoire for a long while though; because they are decent songs. Later fans might not be happy with this one however they should realize that with this one they are getting some decent acid rock and try to expand their borders. Acid rock had alot of great groups in it by the way: 'the blues magoos, pink floyd, 12 floor elevators , vanilla fudge, chocolate watchband, jefferson airplane , the dead and others so it's a good field of the rock genre to be exposed to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 5, 2014
This review is from: UFO 1 (Audio CD)
great first cd and fast shipping

5.0 out of 5 stars my favorite UFO record, January 4, 2014
This review is from: UFO 1 (Audio CD)
I had this on cassette years ago .... glad it came out on CD . This is my Favorite UFO album so I already knew I would love it .. would of loved for it to have the same cover with the UFO on it as the cassette had years ago .. if you never heard UFO's first you need to hear this one . You will agree with me it's they're best

4.0 out of 5 stars Great "old school" rock album, December 1, 2012
This review is from: UFO 1 (Remastered) (MP3 Music)
I saw Michael Schenker at the house of Blues in Chicago while on a business trip. It was a great show. He played a lot of UFO songs I had never heard and I thought I better start my collection with the 1st album. This is a good album. Not the same as the Lights Out disc I had years ago but still very good. It reminds me albums bands like the Scorps and Priest put out before they were big.

5.0 out of 5 stars Close Encounter Of A Psych-Prog Kind, October 7, 2012
This review is from: UFO 1 (Audio CD)
Recorded in 6 days on a 4-track recording machine by a South London car dealer several years before the band descended into the cliches of stadium rock mediocrity, this was recorded when UFO were the new wannabes on the UK underground rock scene. A pretty good job they made of it too when one considers the genre and the other albums of that era. Indeed, while a lot of bands from that year made generic psych-prog albums that often sounded pretty similar, UFO manage to sound different to the rest. While in terms of musical virtuosity there is just no comparison with later versions of the band, this album for many captures a far rougher, more exciting, underground version of UFO than the sleek and polished rock machine which was soon to launch its assault on the world's metal charts.

5.0 out of 5 stars First UFO album., April 27, 2009
This review is from: UFO 1 (Audio CD)
I discovered this along with UFO 2 "Flying" and UFO LIVE. Extremely good. More adventurous and Progressive than the Michael Schenker years, but still very cool.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gift Purchase, April 10, 2008
This review is from: UFO 1 (Audio CD)
This CD was purchased as a gift, chosen from the recipient's Amazon wish listt.
It was received promptly, and no complaints.

UFO 1
UFO 1 by UFO (Audio CD - 2008)