Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Shop Now HTL

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 22, 2011 6:54:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2011 5:52:17 AM PST
Reading through various reviews and comments there seems to be some people annoyed that they have received the UK version. This is to confirm to buyers that the contents are EXACTLY the same as the USA version. Both Warner Brothers and Universal Blu-rays released worldwide are Region Free ABC. All that is different is the packaging and disc label. You get the same film transfer, same extras, same audio and same subtitles as the discs used in the USA. Any SD content is always in the 480i or 480p format. Yes, you may have to put up with many age rating logos and other languages printed on the disc, but this isn't important while you're watching the film. I have scanned two Blu-rays of films I bought in the UK:

As you can see, it is normal. For some reason a LOT of Blu-rays are cheaper in the UK, so you're better off looking at Amazon's UK website before ordering in the US. Your login details and payment details are the same as the US website. Also VAT (sales tax) of 20% will be taken off at the payment screen as you reside outside the EU. They even write "Region Free" in the title of a lot of Blu-rays. Some deals I bought recently on the UK website:

Superman Anthology - £24.99 with VAT (about $39) vs. Superman: The Motion Picture Anthology, 1978-2006 [Blu-ray]

Harry Potter 8 Film Set - £32.30 with VAT (about $51) vs. Harry Potter: The Complete Collection Years 1-7 [Blu-ray]

Alien Anthology - £13.99 with VAT (about $22) vs. Alien Anthology [Blu-ray]

The Pacific / Band of Brothers - Limited Edition Gift Set - £36.47 with VAT (about $57) vs. Band of Brothers / The Pacific (Special Edition Gift Set) [Blu-ray]

If on the other hand if you don't want age rating logos and other languages printed on your packaging and discs keep buying the USA versions. The only one laughing all the way to the bank are the film companies with your hard-earned extra dollars.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2011 4:30:42 PM PST
valiantonov says:
Yup! I bought Superman Anthology from Amazon UK. At first I'm a little bit annoyed with the age rating logos, and thinking it must be nice to have the US version of sleeve where you can separate the top part and the bottom part. But come to think again, The movie is just great, and with a price that cheap, I think I can live with the age rating logo.

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 2:20:38 AM PST
How do you know the audio and video quality are exactly the same in the UK version and the USA version? Have you watched them both? I just watched the expanded version of the first Superman movie in my UK set. After reading the comments about great video quality, I have to say I am disappointed. Most of the movie is very "soft", without a lot of detail. It almost looks like it was filmed in the fog using very bright lights. I couldn't see any detail in the faces. The night scenes where Superman and Lois are flying, look grainy. Does this sound the same as the USA version? I am quite pleased with the DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, and the fact that the aspect ration is approximately 2.35:1.

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 5:13:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2012 11:42:44 AM PST
I know, because Warner Bros. and Universal use the same master discs for the whole world in ALL of their releases. This is well documented on the internet on various websites and forums. I have many other UK bought Blu-rays that have American English subtitles, South American Spanish subtitles, FBI copyright warning screens and American age ratings shown before the main film. Why would these be on a British discs?! You have to remember that Superman was filmed in the 70s and it has always had a soft look to it. Rent or buy the US version of the first film alone if you want to check, but it will be the same.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 1:56:49 AM PDT
Mark Richman says:
Well then the question is how do you get an item shipped to your address in the US? Did you calculate that cost in your prices that you quote in an earlier comment above? When I have gone to Amazon.UK and noticed the lower prices, they all quote shipping to within the United Kingdom. How do you ask them to send it to the US and how much more will it cost?

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 3:02:44 AM PDT
@ Mark

When you add an item to your basket on the UK website it will show you the postage cost within the UK as default. However, once you log in (the details are the same as the US website) and select your US address it will show you the postage cost to the US. Amazon automatically take the VAT (sales tax) off the UK price and give you the option to either pay in GBP or USD. The prices I quoted are over six months old, so the prices may have changed since then. Hope this is helpful.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Nov 22, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about