Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Wii Fit Plus with Balance Board forum

Very very UN-fit after being very, very sick (bedridden for over a year--Is this for me?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 26, 2009 8:44:28 PM PDT
Hii Kii says:
I have permission from my Doctor to start moving around and he did say that Wii Fit sounds like it might be a good idea when I asked about it, as long go very slow, and work for short periods of time as have something to hold on to for balance. I've got that part taken care of.

What I'm worried about (the first thing...) is frivolous and less important than the second is that will is Wii-Fit treating me like a bully in a Jr High Locker room? I know it's going to tell me how how less less someone has to live than someone with my level of fitness at my age and I'm ready for that one. I'm just hoping it focuses on improvement, not fact that I will never get to the average for my age. I guess I shouldn't worry too much about what the equivalent of the Microsoft Paper Clip thinks of me, but sometimes I'd really like a "good job" for my kind of excelling.

I know that I may sound negative but I really want a tool that will work for me. The new Fit Plus looks like it has so many new balance options, but this makes me wonder, in the first game does one have to unlock the games, or can one access everything? Since I'm challenged here, I want to make sure there is a lot that I can go with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2009 11:28:58 AM PDT
L. Munn says:
I've been using the Wii Fit since Feb of this year along with PT exercises and I can safely say that it's made the most difference (for the better) from just PT. Even if you do badly, it will offer support and encourage/congratulate you when you get better, even if it's just a little bit. For me, being able to *see* my progress was really encouraging, and also being able to see *where* I was putting my weight, or where I wasn't stable made a huge difference in the way I carried myself throughout the day. The balance games, and the yoga ones using both legs (as opposed to standing on one leg) were the most helpful to me at the beginning.

Posted on Sep 28, 2009 3:52:34 PM PDT
Talyssa says:
the wiifit is really good about tracking improvement, and even when it makes your little Mii look fat and tells you you balance like an old person its not really.... i dunno its pleasant and chirpy adn cute and afterall you already KNOW...so I didn't find it unpleasant. Its very encouraging and fun actually, and while some of the excersises will probably be out of your range other things are excellent. my mother had a very serious back surgery (they had to replace some of her spine with pins) and she enjoys her wiifit even with her somewhat more limited flexibility.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2009 5:42:56 PM PDT
Veggienator says:
Hello Kii,
I have a lot of joint, muscle, and back problems from a few health problems that I have. The Wii Fit balance and yoga will probably be an excellent thing to help you. The original Wii Fit you did have to unlock things, so I am not sure if that is the case with this one. However with the last one you mostly just unlocked things with how much time you invested into it, not by how good you were. There were a few exercises that you did unlock based on your skill level but those were mostly just harder exercises of what you had already unlocked. Say you unlock the short run because you have spent 2 hours on the game (it doesn't need to be all at once, it has a time piggy bank that adds up all of your time every time you use it) when it sees you improving upon that by a certain amount than it would unlock the island run, long run, and free run once you hit a certain level. So you do not need to worry about being great at first, just do what you can and try a little bit every day or every other day and you should still be able to continue to unlock things.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2009 10:45:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 29, 2009 10:46:53 AM PDT
MichelleS says:
Hi Alishaudra,
I noticed you mentioned you have joint problems, I was wondering if your joint issues interfered with your ability to use the wii fit? I have rheumatoid arthritis and it is very difficult to know what I can and cannot do from day to day, being as a new and different joint could be affected at any hour. Since there are so many different activities, I'm hopeful that there should be at least something I could accomplish on a daily basis...have you found this to be true for you? Any advice would be helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2009 10:53:41 AM PDT
L. Munn says:
Michelle,
I have Ehlers-Danlos (connective tissue disorder w/ joint problems), and most of my spine has arthritis/degeneration, and I have arthritis in many of my joints. The Wii Fit has helped me *a lot* in dealing with those issues, by helping me steady and strengthen the muscles around my affected joints. I don't do any of the joint-aggressive strength training or yoga exercises, and alter some of the ones I do so I'm more balanced. The single most influential 'game' for me is the table tilt with the marbles. I couldn't even get past the first level when I first started and now (only 8 months later) have the high scores on both levels! I'm a lot more steady and feel supported when walking and just getting around. I think there are a lot of really helpful games and exercises on there, but if you have joint problems, I'd stay away from the ones like rhythm boxing and push ups, etc until you know what your body can/can't do.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2009 11:39:47 AM PDT
MichelleS says:
L. Munn,
Thanks so much for the input, it is very helpful. I just don't want to spend all this money for something I wont be able to make the most of. I am so happy that this has helped you so much, way to go with the marbles! Do you find you need to switch up which activities you do depending on what ailes you at the time, and if so, how easy is it to find an activity to perform that wont cause any issues? Funny you mentioned the boxing...my toddlers love to play "kaboom" (as they call it!) so I finally agreed to play it with them, against my better judgement, boy did I pay for it! My elbow joints were screaming at me for the next two days!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2009 12:05:38 PM PDT
L. Munn says:
I do like to switch up the activities, cause it's a little more fun that way, and I definitely decide what I can and can't do depending on my pain levels. When you first start, only a few games/activities are 'unlocked', and more get unlocked as you put time into the game. The first time you do an activity, they walk you through it and show you how it's done, so there's no surprises. Even when you have done them, you can always choose to have them go over it again before you start. I do that when I'm not sure, so I can motion through the exercise and see if it's something I can handle (I can usually tell right away). If not, then I go on to other activities that I can. Even on bad days, as long as I can get on the Wii Fit, I can do the yoga breathing exercise, even over and over, and I'm always surprised at how much it helps, even on bad days.

One of the big things I've found that helps is that you can *see* where you're putting your weight, how steady (or unsteady) you are, and what you need to work on. Even PT couldn't tell me all of that! It's really nice to be able to see your progress any time you want, which goes a long way to helping you feel better mentally too! I totally understand about the cost. I saved up a bit for it, and then was able to stop going to PT soon after I started using it. I figured at $15 a copay (for PT), it paid for itself after using it 6 times because it replaced the PT...lol! I think the Wii Fit has a lot of potential in PT, and in fact, the news stories of PT clinics and rehabilitation clinics using it last year was my main motivation for getting it!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2009 12:13:09 PM PDT
MichelleS says:
That's a definite money saver for you! Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2009 3:33:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2009 7:58:40 AM PDT
Veggienator says:
Hi Kii,
I have three forms of lupus and the joint pain can be very chronic. There are days that I cannot use the Wii Fit or do much else for that matter, those are the days that the lupus is really flared up and I can't even walk on those days. But those days are not coming as much as they use to. I find that yoga, swimming, and light walking help me the most. I usually use the My Fitness Coach for the yoga because I like it a lot more, but hopefully with Wii Fit Plus they fixed a lot of the issues that I had with it.
I use the Wii Fit for a lot of the balance exercises and then I put a pedometer on and do some of the walking, I am allergic to the sun because of the lupus, so I do much of my walking indoors. My aunt has lupus as well as a few other auto-immune and rheumatoid problems, we both use the Wii Fit and have benefited from it. I do understand what you mean about different joints hurting on different days, but I do not know what your level of pain is. I hope that if you decide to purchase it there are a lot of the exercises you can use. I would imagine that with the diversity there will be quite a few that you would be able to pick from. Most of them, besides the strength training exercises and a few of the yoga exercises are not very strenuous, there are not any that I have done and hurt afterwords besides the hula-hoop one, but that was not my joints, just my mid-section from lack of doing those types of exercises in awhile.
Edit* I forgot about the boxing one, that one might be a bit tough on your joints as well, if you decide to try that one, be careful not to get too into it and hyper-extend your arms.

Posted on Sep 30, 2009 5:39:45 AM PDT
Hii Kii says:
Thank you all so very much! I don't remember ever getting such informative feedback so quickly from so many people! I hope people with some limits to their activity continue to post here. I would love to hear more stories like this because I'd like to print them out and bring them to my Pain Management Dr and my Physical Therapist. I think at least the PT would like this information so she can use this data to help others. Especially the parts about it really tracking one's balance.

The other new feature made me cry because it's too late for me. My older cat just died and the big symptom was that she went from her perfect weight of 9.5 pounds to 5.6 pounds. She was such a fluffy cat that liked to curl up next to everyone rather than on them, we didn't notice until she was in the upper 6 pound range. My own scale can't weigh me the same from one minute to the next, so there was on way it was going to be accurate for something under 10 pounds. We couldn't afford a fancy scale, but as we already have the game system, the rest of are going to be a birthday gift from family. (if you don't already know about this google weight loss and an older cat). I bet it would also be useful for a infant. This looks like one of the best extra features that I can imagine.

Thank you again for all of you help and I look forward to hearing more stories.

Kii

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2009 5:58:29 AM PDT
L. Munn says:
Kii,
I think it's a great idea to get your PT in on it! When I talked to my PT about it, he didn't have much experience with it, but helped me out and gave me enough info of things to watch out for, and how to do some of my core strengthening exercises while on the Wii Fit. It made *all* the difference. I was able to use the exercises from the PT in a "real world" application, if that makes sense....like bridging the things he was giving me into actions that I do on a day to day basis (balancing, walking, etc) and learning how to focus on the right things and hold myself the right way. After a few weeks on the Wii Fit, I noticed a *huge* difference in the way I was able to get around during the day, and after a few months I was better than I was after all my other treatments and PT put together! YMMV, but I would highly recommend talking to your PT about it and see if they can work it into your exercises. Oh, there are lots of news articles about the Wii Fit used for PT and rehabilitation centers online. I found a bunch when I was researching it and they sealed the deal. Especially after a few of them said they started using it to get teens to do their PT because it was like a game. LOL! ;)

I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. One of my cats passed away about a year and a half ago, and ended up going from 14lbs to almost 5lbs, and I wish I could have caught onto it before it got so bad (under 10lbs). He had cancer in his mouth though, so I don't know if it would have mattered by the time we found out. :( He was a rescue, a beautiful all white cat who became attached to me at the hip. I miss him so much.

*Anyways*, my other cat hates when I weigh her with the Wii Fit, but I do it anyway. ;) I'm eager to see the Wii Fit Plus and the animal avatar thing. I usually just hold her and get on the balance board when I'm weighing, and (as long as she doesn't fidget) it'll tell me that I seem to be XX amount of weight (ie: 12lbs) higher than last time, and am I holding anything? :D

I hope this helps!
L

Posted on Oct 9, 2009 12:41:14 PM PDT
J says:
Recently I've had some physical challenges after joint surgery, and early in recovery was introduced to the Wii Fit. Like others, there are some of the exercises that I can't do and some I can. While I usually end up at the klutz level, I get a few giggles and do work some of the core muscles. At this stage, any activity is better than no activity and I'm confident that I'll be able to build up.

The family where the Wii resides has had recommendations from their Physical Therapist for some of the core/balance exercises.

Sometimes it can be a bit snarky - "you weigh more than last time you played" or comments about "do you trip and fall a lot?". (I imagine the programmers in the dungeons of Nintendo with poor social skills). But, it also gives "great job" comments when it sees improvement.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Sep 26, 2009
Latest post:  Oct 9, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about