Customer Discussions > Unbroken forum

UNBROKEN

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 27, 2010 9:26:23 AM PST
this is one of the most interesting stories i have read, written by an author who is on top of her game

Posted on Dec 4, 2010 12:48:48 PM PST
L. E. Cannon says:
I read a portion of this story in Vanity Fair and just ordered the book. My Dad was a tail gunner who flew in a B24 Liberator during the war.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2010 12:37:21 PM PST
I've read some of the reviews, and the story sounds intriguing. I'll look into it. Have you heard of "German Boy", by Wolfgang Samuel. It starts in 1949, where Wolfgang, a ten year old boy, struggles to survive in post war Germany, and is faced with poverty, prejudice and corruption by the "governing" Russian forces. Robert.

Posted on Dec 6, 2010 6:27:41 PM PST
S. Copper says:
Having read (and loved) "Seabiscuit" by Laura Hillenbrand, I was eager for her next book. This was absolutely worth the wait and the price! For two days, I read this book in huge gulps. If I hadn't had to sleep in between, I might have read it in one sitting. The author has done an absolutely amazing job of sharing Mr. Zamperini's story with all of us. It's devastating, inspiring, and heartbreaking - and then some!

Posted on Dec 11, 2010 1:29:47 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 11, 2010 1:39:36 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 11, 2010 1:40:08 AM PST
I am reading this book now. I just got to where Louie is in flight training before going to war. Does the point of view ever change from 3rd person to 1st person? I don't feel like I'm part of the story yet....

Posted on Dec 12, 2010 6:25:06 PM PST
K.S. says:
About 1/3 into this book - fantastic! Wonderful chronology and the author has obviously been doing her homework the background information is astonishing. Hate to have to sleep; keeping me from doing other things like, housework. Oh well.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2010 12:51:11 PM PST
FO4SC says:
If you'd like to read the story from a 1st person perspective, try reading Devil at My Heels: A Heroic Olympian's Astonishing Story of Survival as a Japanese POW in World War II. It was written by Zamperini himself.

Posted on Dec 19, 2010 11:17:06 AM PST
Don;t start reading the last half of this book unless you have plenty of time. I pulled an all nighter laughing, cheering and crying.

Posted on Dec 20, 2010 12:34:35 PM PST
I have a question as I am very interested in reading this book, but not if the "redemption" I keep reading about is religious in nature. Is it? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2010 7:04:46 PM PST
L. Scott says:
It has a religious aspect to it, but don't worry, the author handles it very well. It's probably the most powerfully written part of the book, and it left me in tears. I'm not a religious person, but it moved me very deeply. Read it, you will not regret it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2010 6:00:58 PM PST
Dora Gal says:
No, it is not religious, but pofoundly spiritual and uplifting.

Posted on Dec 30, 2010 7:11:55 PM PST
Dizzy Girl says:
To not read 'Unbroken' just because it has a religious and spiritual aspect would be your loss quite frankly. Was he not supposed to tell the story as to not 'offend' you the reader? It's his story. To leave out that part of his life would be as devastating as leaving out the birth of his child, his marriage, his Olympic journey, etc. It's a part of the story. And if you decide that this book isn't worth it because of that would be your loss. This is absolutely the best book I've read in years. The story will have your mind reeling for days and it will stay in your heart forever.

Posted on Dec 30, 2010 11:04:56 PM PST
As a retired military man, 36 years U.S. Air Force, with a natural draw to history, I've read many books concerning WWII. Unbroken was, perhaps, the most graphic encounter with the truth of the time, that I have read thus far. It was a book dedicated to the truth of the time, not only from America's view points, but also much insight into the Japanese military and why they functioned as they did. Outstanding job of presenting a very difficult and delicate subject.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2011 11:35:14 AM PST
Barb in NJ says:
I have a very basic question which I hope does not offend anyone. I'm about ready to download this book to my Kindle and I hope someone can tell me whether the photos that are in the hard copy book are included in the Kindle version. This book seems to be one of those cases where the photos would add greatly to the reading experience. Thanks in advance for any info.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2011 1:03:32 PM PST
C Ownby says:
Kindle version does have photographs. I haven't seen hard copy to know if Kindle has all that hard book does, but I suspect that it does. I did a google search for images relating to the book and I didn't see anything that wasn't on the Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2011 1:17:04 PM PST
Barb in NJ says:
Thanks very much for taking the time to respond. I'm looking forward to reading the book - and seeing those photos. Wish all of the ebooks were true to the original re photos/drawings. Thanks again.

Posted on Jan 3, 2011 8:47:38 AM PST
Brian Sparks says:
Unbelievable book. I am a Paramedic and I here stories of the war from many patients that i have transported. A recent patient was reading this and when asked about the book, choked up and was brought to tears. He had been a POW in Germany and felt guilty that his inturnment was so easy. After reading this I will never look at these old vets the same. I am very anti-war given the way we handle war now but god bless everyone of them old and present for what they do and put up with.

Posted on Jan 4, 2011 5:08:38 AM PST
E. usner says:
I could not put this book down. I have read many books on WW II, work with vets daily...the best book depicting the obsolute courage and drive to live by Louie and Phillip. It was painful to read about his POW experiences but I assure you...the POW's in Vietnam faced the same fate.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2011 10:45:44 AM PST
Hildenbrand has become one of the greatest biographic writers of our time. I don't know of anyone else who can so completely put you in the era, the moment, the worldview of the time and culture, so utterly. And the subject is fascinating, even if you're not into WWII stories, just as Seabiscuit was fascinating even for non-horse people. Impossible to put either book down. I'm so jealous! I started work on my first non-fiction book two years ago, and am using her books as my high-water mark. I'll never reach it, but I can't think of a better standard to measure by.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2011 11:13:17 AM PST
Yes, Hillenbrand creates magic. I'm reading the companion, Devil at my Heels by David Rensin, based on Zamperini's own account. It has its own appeal. I enjoy stories that take place in WWII, and I'm biased I suppose because my own father was a POW in WWII(Germany). We can all do well to aspire to Hillenbrand's high standards.
Good luck with your novel.
Robert
POW #74324

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2011 2:12:58 PM PST
There are many, many great books in the world and a limited time in which to read them. My criteria for choosing what to read is my own, as is yours. I am grateful to the two other responders who answered my question without lecturing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2011 5:52:35 PM PST
Kimfgriffin says:
This was an amazing book. I'm not a huge history buff, but this has definitely changed my mind about reading more. It was an incredible story of following one man thru WW2 and all the hardships that he and his buddies endured. I had no idea any of the things talked about were done. I had respect for Veterans before, but I have even more for them now. The story line is amazing and keeps you intrigued thruout and you are amazed, dumbfounded, cheering and crying the entire time. It is a brilliantly written book. I will definitely look for other books by this author...and my hats off and a huge THANK YOU to all Veterans and their families past and present!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2011 2:23:27 PM PST
Thanks for this information. It's time Amazon provide information on whether Kindle books are "image abridged" or true copies of the hard copy version. I realize whether to include images in the Kindle format is the publisher's choice (according to Amazon) but regardless, I'd like to know before I buy and searching for answers like this on a book by book basis is tedious.

Posted on Jan 31, 2011 7:34:43 AM PST
All I can say is this one of the best books (Biographys) that I have read.
I just hope that the film will come close to this.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Unbroken
Participants:  33
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Nov 27, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 12, 2011

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption (Random House Large Print)
Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption (Random House Large Print) by Laura Hillenbrand (Paperback - November 16, 2010)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (23,568)