Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoors Gift Guide on DOTD

TOP 500 REVIEWERon May 18, 2013
Seriously, this is one tough competitor to Note 2. I just played with it at my friend's place. Screen is amazing. 1080 x 1920 pixels, 5.5 inches (~401 ppi pixel density). Without the stylus, it is same size as Note 2. The crapware on this is incredible. I tried the AT&T version. It has LG and AT&T crapware, and is locked, otherwise the international unlocked and AT&T versions are similar in specs. On the AT&T, out of 32 GB, around 10GB was gobbled up by stock firmware and other crap.

MicroSD can be expanded to microSD, up to 64 GB. The battery is removable, big plus. I was stunned by the photo quality. After seeing the photos, I thought point and shoot cameras are dead. All I can say is the LG Optimus G Pro is one heck of a device. Like in Nexus 4, the notification lights are awesome!

Good that there is lot of competition. The phone currently runs 4.1.2, hopefully newer Android versions runs smoothly as well. If you are looking for phablets, you should seriously consider LG, Samsung and Asus. Yes, Asus has a 7" phablet! (Fonepad, which I am using now as a primary phone as an experimentation for 6 months on a consolidation sprint)

Highly recommend LG Optimus G Pro!
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 24, 2013
At first I thought the size would be an issue but it makes everything you do so much better. Now for the things I love about the phone

The screen is big and beautiful. Browsing the Web, playing games,everything is just better.

The led indicator light is around the home button which gives it a nice look.

I like that the have a dedicated button that you can customize for any app you want.

Call quality seems great. I had two different s3 and people often had trouble hearing me. That doesn't happen with this phone.

Phone is very responsive with no slowing down or freezing.

Some of the things include :

The auto brightness doesn't work, but it's easy fix by just downloading an app.

The home button should be easier to press specially since you use it so often.

Taking a snap shot should be easy like in the you have to press two buttons and sometimes end up either lowering the volume or turning the phone off.

Aside from these little gripes this phone is the best. since LG doesn't spend a lot in marketing like they can spend on creating a quality phone at a reasonable price. Defenetly recommend to check it out, and don't let the size intimidate you. It is easy to get used to. I will update my review as I use it.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 25, 2013
So I just bought the white version of this phone a few days ago from ATT, out of contract for $400. I got the unlock codes that night and went straight to T-mobile the next day and got a much cheaper unlimited no-contract plan with 4G LTE working just fine. I love this phone! I've been an HTC fan, with their beautiful skins, for many years, but the limited screen size and storage on their recent offerings almost had me buying a Samsung Note 2. I'm glad I researched and found the cheaper, yet better spec'ed Optimus Pro instead. I would have loved a better quality camera, no custom android skin, stylus, and different button placements, but all the other tech attributes at this price is simply awesome. Sure, the upcoming Note 3 is better, but way too expensive and while the rumored Nexus 5 might be a tad cheaper, it probably won't have a 5.5" screen and certainly won't have upgradable memory and batteries. I just wish there were more cases available for this unknown and underrated LG phablet...
on March 18, 2014
I was looking to purchase a Note II, and found this phone in my research. being superior in regard to specs, and screen resolution, and having a lower price(!) it was a no-brainer. The phone is SUPER snappy, and apps load almost instantaneously. Call quality is good, and the speaker is loud IMO. I had an S4 that this replaced, and I don't miss it at all. Wonderful phone, I love it!
on May 27, 2013
Hey y'all,

This phone does everything well. There isn't a hiccup, a stutter, a hesitation nor a delay. I have never enjoyed an Android (or any phone operating system for that matter) as much as i have this phone.

The one thing that i did have to do in order to make this a 100% perfect experience is to start using my husbands Samsung Exhibit II as a secondary phone thats always at the ready to handle small, little tasks, this was i never worry i need both hands free to use LG Pro and have to worry about dropping it. In other words, i don't try to do othr things AND use the LG O Pro. For that i use my hubbys Samsung Exhibit, which i rooted & threw Slimbean ROM on it), added a 3rd line to my T-Mobile acct for just 10.00 a month.

So now, when i just need to make/receive a quick call or important text msg, i use the "lil guy"... For any Picture taking/ Recording a video, Internet surfing, leisure communicating or video watching, game playing, Kindle reading, Remote Controlling TV (sooo easy & works soooo well : ), or the 100 other things this huge screen and lightening speed processor was made for, i use my LG O Pro.

77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 23, 2014
I did not choose this phone for the large size, but am finding that I really like the larger phone. What I do love about it is the quality of the camera, the fast processor, and it works perfectly on the T-Mobile 4g LTE network. I did need to change the APN settings, but it was very easy to do so.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 7, 2014
i got a refurb for 250. came in good condition besides a slight LED smudge. it's pretty fast, i play high end games and use social apps with ease. the display is very nice, looking at HD pictures can be fun. great camera. the battery is supposedly very good, but i thought it was okay. i can go a whole day with moderate use. it's a nice phone, but for this price, i would settle for a G2, which is only 400 vs 424, and contains a 2.2 ghz processor
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 14, 2013
My brother has this phone. He loves it to death. It's extremely fast, great quality, good processor, enuff space for anything. What can I say? Buy buy buy! lol
on May 26, 2013
LG Optimus G Pro does not disappoint. Internet surfing is astonishing, like a desktop computer performance. The pictures and videos are very vivid and clean. The audio is mediocre but when played with speakers or headset, the sound is crisp and clear even with high bass. The extraordinary feature this phone offered which stunned me the most is the ability to control different appliances like tv, aircon, audio, projector,etc. A phone with great and quality capabilities for 780 dollars, it's all worth it and a must have.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2015
I bought this phone a year ago as a mint condition refurb and am still so pleased with it that I can't justify "upgrading" to a considerably more expensive LG G3 or Samsung Note 4. Although the cpu is at least one generation old it seems plenty fast to me and the only phone I would consider as a cost effective alternative if I didn't already own the OGP is the One Plus One which runs $350 for the 64GB model and does not have a removable battery or micro-sd storage.

All that said, I would point out a few things about the phone. Carrier unlocked it *definitely* works with T-Mobile and its MVNOs at 4GLTE speeds, *provided* you configure the APN correctly. That may require a call to your carrier's customer service. For instance, I am very happy with T-Mobile MVNO Ptel but the APN settings were different for Jelly Bean and Kit Kat; for a while after the upgrade the phone wasn't working at full speed until I made the call.

If you use AT&T or one of its MVNOs (most of which I don't believe operate at 4GLTE but I may be wrong) then you should get an upgrade to Kit Kat over the air and supposedly another upgrade to Lollipop this spring. If you use T-Mobile etc with the phone you will have to update manually. Clear instructions are available on the XDA forums but the steps required for a "manual" upgrade require some confidence in one's ability to follow directions closely.

Likewise rooting the phone is far more complex on Kitkat than Jelly Bean. Again instructions are available from XDA but they are convoluted. Rooting the phone running Jelly Bean is very easy and once you do Titanium Backup can freeze or delete any AT&T or LG bloatware you don't want.

Lastly there is good support for this phone in the custom ROM developer community but my experience with custom ROMs using T-Mobile has not been great. Basically Cyanogenmod (which I run on my other Android devices) and its variants create problems with voice calls that I'm not willing to struggle with. So I am running Kit Kat stock, having removed the AT&T bloatware and installed Nova launcher for a more vanilla interface. Several of the pre-installed LG apps are useful, especially the universal infrared remote control.

So to sum up:

- Running this phone on AT&T is a no brainer. Everything should work well out of the box. If you decide to let the phone update over the air I wouldn't bother with rooting it. If you don't like the LG interface just install a custom launcher from the Google Play Store.

- If you use the phone with T-Mobile you must configure the APN specifically for your carrier. Any upgrade to Kit Kat needs to be done manually, Rooting Kit Kat and installing a custom recovery is more complex for KK than JB and may not be worth it.

- I have had issues with custom ROMs. Your mileage may vary.

This is a superb phone, and probably my favorite Android device..