5.0 out of 5 stars Better than others selling for more
Published 16 months ago by J_Furst

2.0 out of 5 stars Not recognized by Samsung USA
I received the phone and it powers up well. I called Samsung USA to find some ID information that appeared to be missing. They asked a few questions then concluded it was not supported by Samsung USA.
Published 13 months ago by Douglas A. Brazeal

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than others selling for more, April 29, 2013
This review is from: UNLOCKED Samsung Galaxy Discover SGH-S730M 3G Phone, 3.5" Touch Screen, 3MP Camera, Google Android, NEW, BULK PACKAGED, 2G GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHZ, 3G HSPA 850/1900MHZ (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I wanted an affordable Android phone that would sync with Google Calendar and Contacts online. This was a precaution so that if the phone was lost, stolen, or went faulty, such information would still be safe. All I had to do was get a replacement phone and 'download' the information. So I started out with an entry-level LG Optimus GT540 Android phone that had a fairly good review. I paid US$120 for it in July 2011. I am surprised to see it is still being sold now for even more (up to US$165).

Well in trying to upgrade the LG phone, it became unusable so I started the hunt for another low cost phone. Well, I eventually chose this Samsung Galaxy Discover a month ago. I am glad I did. This phone is much better that the LG Optimus GT540 and at a lower price. Looking at different aspects:

.. Screen: This phone has a capacitive touch screen versus a resistive screen. I find it much lighter to touch, more consistent and more responsive. Also there is a little more finger room and screen space with the slightly larger screen of 3.5" compared to 3.0".

.. Memory: I ran out of memory trying to download apps on the former phone. But I have loaded this new Samsung with similar apps and still have much more room. In fact, I note that this Samsung has over 12 times more internal memory than the LG.

.. Operating System (OS): This Samsung with the later OS 4.04 has an improved onscreen keyboard and I no longer need to download a dialer and contacts app to overcome the limitation of the LG with its OS 2.1.

.. Camera: This is about the same as before, but with 3 MP it is better than some similar phones with only 2MP. One disappointment is that it does not carry an LED flash, although gsmarena.com says it does. But considering the price and also that my former phone did not have this feature, I am still satisfied.

.. Battery Life: Battery life has not improved much, with a lower capacity battery of 1300mAh (vs 1500 mAh). However, in actual usage, it appears that the Samsung has a slight advantage. Just checking now, the phone has done some 23.5 hours on battery and it indicates that the battery is now 52% of its capacity. This is with moderate use.

Considering all the factors reviewed, overall I give this Samsung Galaxy Discover phone a 5 rating, especially for such a reasonable price of US$118. (I paid US$110.) And I would certainly recommend this phone way ahead of the LG GT540 even if the latter was fetching a lower price, which is now surprisingly higher.

4.0 out of 5 stars maury, March 3, 2013
I received this cell about one week ago , and it has been working without any fault. For those who want a cell with the basics features like internet, 3G and one of the last android software , as the really inexpensive price this is the one I recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent celphone, March 17, 2013
Its a very good celphone and easy to use! It has a lot of apps and functions and I didnt even had to spend a lot of money getting it, like a would've with a model like the samsung galaxy Siii mini.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice entry level phone., May 23, 2013
This is an entry level phone, I bought it for someone else as a gift and besides the low specs it performs decently - not like my Nexus 4 - but It has enough power to do the regular things you do like surfing the web, social media, checking/writing emails, playing games, watching videos on youtube, etc.

It doesn't have 4G, it only has 3G HSPA and only two bands: 850 and 1900, so before buying check if your network is compatible because if it isn't you would be stuck with 2G.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great so far, May 29, 2013
I've had the phone a couple of weeks, and I think its great so far...no problems.
Seems like a neat little phone. The screen is a decent enough size.

5.0 out of 5 stars very happy with phone, September 26, 2013
very happy with the phone battery life was short until I discharge the battery all the way 2 x then recharge the phone when the phone is off. The customer service is great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good basic Android phone, September 10, 2013
Does everything I need and I got it unlocked, in factory packaging for about $100.

I use my Nexus 7 tablet as my primary internet device, so this is mostly used as a phone with internet apps as a backup. Frankly anything less than a 7 inch screen is too small for my fingers.

It is noteably slower than the quad core Nexus 7, but otherwise fine.

The option of adding a micro SD card is great, and negates the limitations of the internal memory.

Some have commented in poor battery life. Used mostly as a phone in standby, my Discover phone is currently showing 56% charge after 4 days and 9 hours. Can't co plaun about that kind of perform:-) ance at all. Turn OFF apps you don't need, like WiFi folks.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not recognized by Samsung USA, July 24, 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars not original Samsung, September 9, 2013
How do i begin..... phone is not an original Samsung. I was told by three different techs that this was a chinese knock off. Not a Samsung! Battery life is non existent. 4-5 hours standby?

2.0 out of 5 stars Battery doesn't hold charge for long, August 10, 2013
Nice phone BUT it doesn't hold charge for more than an hour. Seems to have a faulty battery. Would NOT recommend this item for this reason. This was my first BAD purchase on Amazon. I may have to purchase another phone at an outlet store or risk purchasing another battery. Using my old phone again for now.

Rate and Discover Movies