Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: UPG UB1280I Sealed Lead Acid Batteries
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on March 17, 2011
I used this in the power supply for FiOS. It didn't last long at all - exactly one year. The previous one (PX12072) lasted 3 years.
33 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 2, 2011
This battery lasted one power outage. It drained down and now won't hold a charge again. It was a waste of money for me. My previous battery lasted eight years and numerous outages.
44 comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 24, 2010
I purchased it in November 2009 and manufactured date on a battery is 0324 09. It was 8 months old then I received it and it died 4 months later. Exactly on its birthday:)
on September 29, 2010
Only lasted 7 months. Doesn't seem to be worth the price as it is used as a backup for our phone system.
on April 29, 2012
I'm on Amazon shopping to replace this exact battery, purchased just last year for my FIOS drop. I'm avoiding this brand - these should last two to five years.
on May 14, 2014
This is a sealed, lead acid battery. It is being used in a home security system to replace an identical sized battery that failed after 8 years. Upon arrival this battery displayed 12.4 Volts, The security system has a 13.75 Volt charger.

Lead acid batteries charge best with limited current with cutoff of charging at it's nominal Voltage of 13.8V.
To bring the battery up to full charge of 13.75 Volts before installing in the system, I chose to limit current to 100 mA at 13.7 Volts because only 1.3 Watts of power would be generated inside the battery - not much heat, and charge it overnight.

I did measure my security system charge current and found it self limited to 50 mA with cutoff at 13.75 V.. All good so far and if this battery fails within the next few years I will return and modify this post.

Prior to buying this battery I read many posts about failures in FIOS applications and other uses for this battery with their failure reports. I don't know the FIOS power cycle but know if a lead acid battery is consistently discharged below about 11 volts (or even once totally discharged) or charged with currents above recommended ratings it is probably going to fail early. It might just be FIOS applications are requiring deep cycle type batteries that have different cycle requirements?

Update: Early report - Battery is still working fine at 13.77V today (9/13/2014) in the security system. Had one house power outtage (15 minutes) from lightning storm few weeks ago but the security system worked fine.
on December 11, 2013
I ordered two of these batteries for my daughters stair lift, received them on November 21st. One of the batteries died after two weeks of use. Generally, we replace the stair lift batteries every two years.
on March 8, 2012
I have purchased three of these over a span of a few months and they have all had fresh code dates and worked just fine.
on September 23, 2015
Purchased for FiOS phone line for power outages. We haven't had ONE power outage since our purchase. This battery was purchased on Amazon on 02/09/2015 and the power backup device started beeping on 09/21/2015.

That's a REALLY GREAT lifespan, right? No, we didn't think so either!

So now we're gonna look at the GS Battery - GT12080-HG - Premium Replacement which has a 3 year warranty, and hope for the best. Buying it from GS directly costs about twice as much as THIS one. But if I've gotta buy two of these a year, I figure I'll be ahead eighty bucks or so in three years.
on December 26, 2013
These get used several places around here, as are several other sizes of small sealed lead acid batteries. The UPG UB1280's are never the first to fail (I replace all of them when one fails). When taken out of backup service they are usually still in good shape and continue on in some other non-critical task. The service interval (determined by some other battery dying) is usually around 2 1/2 - 3 years. For this type of battery, and for this price, that's pretty good (and remember, they are still holding a charge well, and handling the occasional power outage, at that time - so 2&1/2 to 3 years is NOT their total life).

One warning: the Amazon elves do not know how to package these for shipping (they aren't great packaging a good many heavy/dense items)! The last batch came one to a box, with nothing to keep them from banging around inside the box besides a couple of flimsy single-cavity plastic bubbles - which were, of course, punctured and deflated, leaving only a slick plastic film to lubricate the battery's gyrations inside the box during shipment. It is a testament to their quality of construction that, though some of the terminals were bent (easily bent back), and some corners slightly chipped, there was no sign of leakage or other substantial damage. I've had this problem before, but the most recent shipment was the worst. So far all of the batteries have arrived a bit battered or scratched up, but usable.