Published 16 months ago by Spencer Harris

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked for less than 48 hours
Published 11 months ago by Justin

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value for the price (Also correcting others for the IV vs the IIII on this watch), September 10, 2013
This review is from: [NEW UPGRADED] CredDeal Steampunk Pocket Watch Pendant Roman Number Half Hunter-Antiqued Silver Black With Gift Box and Chain PW039 (Watch)
Having owned this watch, I can say it is not top-quality under close scrutiny, but it is certainly a wonderful looking piece. It does not feel too cheap on the outside, and it looks great - the open face on both sides is a nice touch. The front cover is actually a magnifying glass. Not a game-changer, I'm sure. But it is nifty. The inner face-cover is made of plastic, as others have noted and complained about- but this has gone unnoticed by me, as I tend to use my inner face for actually telling time rather than rubbing around (though I do tend to do that on the outside!). For those of you that do not realize, this watch is perhaps just over an inch and a half in diameter - smaller than you might think. But in reality it is comparable to wrist watches in face size. I do not know how long the wind on the watch lasts, but I keep it wound tight and check every four or so hours (except when I sleep, of course). There has been no loss of time on my part, though judging by other reviews the watch you get might drift by a minute or so every few days. Nevertheless, my friends are impressed, and I do not regret this buy a single bit.
IMPORTANT NOTE:
Time for a history lesson, as many reviewers here are complaining that the watch face reads "IIII" for 4 instead of "IV", which is normally considered off and incorrect...EXCEPT FOR WATCHES, which is okay to do!
In fact, many clock-faces use "IIII" Instead of "IV", as it used to be the standard in most areas throughout history that has lasted until today. If anything, IV used to be the way to identify the cheap knock-off watches.
There are many different theories for what started this, but the two most popular are
(1) The symmetry and pattern in face layout: If you notice, many of the watch faces have a nearly balanced weight in the numbers used. It is generally accepted that IV offsets the balance a bit too much in most cases, and would need an uneven 'compression' of the numbers. Plus, if you notice, 1-4 contains only I's, 5-8 are the only numbers to contain V, and 9-12 are the only numbers to include X. It is a pattern split into thirds. (The I's can be found in the rest of the numbers, but 1-4 focuses on the exclusivity of it)
(2) In Old Rome, where they used Sundials (The great-great granddaddy of timepieces), IV was the abbreviation for Jupiter, King of Gods and Thunder. So, if they were to use IV the clocks would have read 1-2-3-GOD-5. It is assumed that they are the ones who started this trend by changing IV on time-keepers to IIII in respect to their God.

Perhaps Rome started the tradition, and the symmetry and pattern were the reason to continue it? It isn't too clear. I apologize for the long read, but I see too many people who look at beautiful watches and disregard them because of this tradition understandably thinking that it is a sign of being cheap, when it is in fact the opposite - it shows an attention to beauty, tradition, and detail.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful watch, May 22, 2013
Bought this as my first pocket watch. Absolutely love it, impressed at the quality of it too. Needed to adjust the regulator a tiny bit, but nothing abnormal for a mechanical watch ;) love how it's a wind up watch as well, gives a sense of ownership and satisfaction knowing it's something that needs winding everyday and not just a 'set it and forget it' type of watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Son loves this Pocket Watch!, May 21, 2013
I bought this watch for my son as a gift. He loves it and carries it everywhere. Of course, I prefer an ol' wrist watch, but he has always gravitated to pocket watches like his grandfather. For a 20 dollar watch, it feels sturdy, keeps good time, and comes with a watch chain. The watch chain clip is not as sturdy looking as the watch. The ability to see the mechanical interior is cool, and the two tone is nice. The glass over the face pops up if you want it to, and all the 20 somethings in his group of friends thought that was cool. In fact, when he sent them all the link to look at the watch and comment, several of them purchased the pocket watch too. He's happy it wasn't expensive, as he worries about taking care of an antique one, but for 20 bucks he can't go wrong with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars a stunning watch, August 14, 2013
In this age of uploads and downloads it is nice to have a peice of yesterday. It keeps perfect time (if you remember to wind it) and the fact that it has the "steampunk" finish is a beautiful touch. I have received several compliments from people usually asking if it was a family heirloom. I The frount and back allow you to see the inner workings of the watch and the gears in motion. And the price? $19.90 delivered? A steal. Very pleased..

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just a watch!, August 29, 2013
This watch feels like it should be worth more than it actually is! The detail looks and feels professional, it keeps great time, the crown will actually stop you from winding it to far (which is pretty rare for this price range it seems like) and it arrived 2 or so weeks before the estimated shipping date. The only thing I would point out about it isn't the watch, but the chain. The clip part has a decorative piece attached to it, and that piece likes to come up and undo the clip while walking around. It can easily be removed though, so there is no need to buy a replacement chain.

And as the title of this review suggests, there is something more to this pocketwatch! While checking the time in the sun, I noticed a burning sensation on my palm and came to find that the front lens, is actually a magnifying glass (technically speaking). After realizing that, I took a fallen leaf nearby and tried to light it on fire using the light cast by the lens and had success. The leaf caught on fire almost instantly...

So there you go. If you are looking for a great starter pocketwatch or a stylish way to start a fire, look no further!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price!, August 27, 2013
I just got this pocket watch in the mail today. it arrived MUCH faster than I anticipated. so that is an automatic plus. It is much 'blacker" in person than it appears in the photos. I was expecting a nickel finish, but I like the black just fine indeed. The bang for the buck on this watch is through the roof. I am impressed that a mechanical watch like this can be sold for less than 20 dollars. I haven't had it for more than a few hours, but it seems to keep good time. Will it last? TIme will tell. If i get a year of occasional use out of it, I'll be satisfied. I suspect with reasonable care, it will last a good long while.

The hands are really cool. a very ornate set of white scrollwork hands that have a nice clean finish to them. I'll be showing this off a lot!

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked for less than 48 hours, February 13, 2014
I got this watch, as a pocket watch I could use at work, and man it did not make it past the weekend when I got it. The secound day it broke and stopped ticking even when it was wound up. The good news is that it was see through so i could see whats wrong, I brought the watch down to a watch smith which happens to be a freind of mine, he looked at the watch and told me there was no point in fixing it, he stated "all the gears are too fragile in this watch and made of very poor quality that there is no point in fixing it, unless he replaces all the internal gears, he told me it was best that I returned it. So I returned it and got a refund. If you get this watch be prepared to return it, Because it wont last long at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy, September 27, 2013
I hate to give this watch a 1 star rating but the watch seems to be very flimsy. the mechanism stopped working less than 48 hours after I received it. Also the fist day I got it the winding couldn't keep the watch running for more that 7 hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks like an expensive pocket watch!, November 7, 2013
We bought this for a steampunk congress that we were going to. They were selling the same item there for double the price! It keeps good time, and looks just like the picture. It definitely is work the reasonable price. This looks like an expensive pocket watch, but in reality, it is very inexpensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not bad little costume piece, April 6, 2014
For the price you can't beat it. I had read some of the negative reviews and was worried about "chinztiness". I was mildly surprised at the heft and feel. You have to keep it wound, but I expected that. Am very happy with the purchase overall.