Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Fidlar UP3 $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Learn more

on June 16, 2013
I purchased this unit to replace a 5 year old 2wire ADSL modem router. I needed a new router with integrated ADSL modem and upgraded wireless N speed. Cost is a factor here, as I don't know how long I will keep my current ADSL service, I receive upgrade offers for AT&T uverse almost weekly. But for now I don't care about their TV offerings, preferring streaming my own netflix and hulu content on my own terms. Long story short, after connecting phone line, ethernet cable to PC, starting the installation software on CD, I was back online in 10 minutes . I noticed on the back of the unit that this router comes with a pre-configured wi-fi key. I did however change the SSID and key during the installation. The wireless signal is good and reaches all 4 bedrooms patio and garage. All wi-fi devices work with the upvel router (2 android smartphones, ipad 2 and samsung tv)

There is a USB port on the back of the unit for external storage or 3G modems. I did not try using this function yet. Maybe later I will and update.
on June 7, 2013
After having to reboot my old router every few hours because of signal loss, I decided to get a new one. However, a new centurylink ADSL router would have cost me upward of a 99$, so I browsed for replacements units on amazon, and came across this rather low priced UPVEL unit. Ordered it with prime and had it two days delivered.

First observations: setup with CD installation took all but 2 minutes. In the package is a list of setup instructions for various ISP including mine. The Wi-Fi setup was flawless as well. I am now online without any hick-ups for the last 48 hours.

There is USB port on the back of the unit for storage sharing. After plugging in my old Simpletch USB drive I could access the files on my wireless laptop by simply typing a FTP link in my webbrowser address window: \\192.168.10.1 . Great extra feature.

According to the specifications this USB port can also be used with some LTE modems. But I have no need for that yet.

All in all, I can recommend it as a great replacement unit, especially for the price.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 15, 2013
First of all the main reason I ordered this router is that is has a build in ADSL modem. I don't like clutter, and want one unit that does it all. After my move to my new apartment, I ditched my old wireless G router, and ordered upvel from amazon's site. I am not a technical expert, but know the networking basics: wireless N is a minimum requirement to connect all my devices including mobile phones, ipad and one laptop, wired ethernet connection to my DVR, playstation and xbox. and one more available port for my desktop computer used mostly for downloading media content and work. USB storage port for media on USB drive so I can easily access all multimedia content on all my connected devices. The Upvel fit all these requirements.

The good is that it works. I was able to set up the ADSL connection with local AT&T. All wired connected devices have now access to internet. Wireless works as well with full bars in all rooms. No downtime to report of yet.

The connected USB drive on the router is accessible from my laptop and desktop PC running windows. File transfer is quite fast.

Out of the box the unit works, and have no regrets so far. The price was only $35 with free shipping. Upvel says the unit is assembled in China. It is very light, but build-quality seems good. Under heavy load it does warm up to the touch but not hot. The design is basic but functional.

Would recommend
on September 23, 2013
I bought this modem to replace a Motorola that would not stay connected and needed to be rebooted all the time. I took a chance on such a low cost modem based on the good reviews and technical specs. It came quickly,looks well made and is nice and small. At first, I could not get it to connect to the internet, so I called their support line. I talked to a VERY knowledgeable guy named Stephan who talked me through the installation. Turns out I forgot the upper/lower case on my ISP password...oops. Of course it came right up once I had the correct password.
I've had it running for a week now and it has not missed a beat. No reboots needed and the CNET speed test is rock steady. I am a very happy camper!
on December 17, 2013
I've had this for about a month now, and so far it's been great. It replaces a Pace 4111N router/modem that the ISP provided, and it has proven to be much more reliable. My setup consists of the router/modem, an Engenius EBR9250 repeater, and a number of wireless and wired devices. The Pace router/modem was nothing but trouble for my Windows 7 wireless devices, they would get an IP address, but would then be unable to connect to the internet. Pinging the router would time out; however, accessing the router's admin page would magically restore internet connectivity, at least for a while. My other devices running XP and Android had no such issues, this was very specifically a Windows 7 problem. The ISP wasn't interested in troubleshooting this, since turning off the repeater would also get rid of the problem (so in their minds, it was the repeater's issue).

Since getting the UPVEL router/modem, I've had no such issues. Connectivity has been solid for all my devices, and range/bandwidth what I'd expected. Setup was fairly painless, using the built in wizard. One oddity: by default, wireless isn't set up for DHCP. To enable DHCP for wireless, you need to go to the LAN tab in the admin page (NOT WLAN), go to the DHCP section, and click the WLAN1 checkbox.

Two minor dings:

- the claim of 4 LAN ports is misleading: in reality, LAN port 1 is for broadband input (e.g., from a cable/modem) so there's really only 3 wired ports available.

- the unit comes with a single DSL/phone splitter, so depending on your setup you might need to spring for additional DSL filters.

I have not used the 3G capability or the USB storage capability.

Overall, great bang for the buck.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 30, 2013
I am using the adsl for 3+ weeks now. Set-up was fairly easy, I am not an expert, but have set-up routers before. Wireless connection is good, Netflix HD streaming is without any lags.
I contacted support for connecting a ATT 4G Beam adapter as a back-up. After some back and forth, apparently the units is only compatible with ATT Sierra LTE adapters. Tough luck, but not a deal breaker in this case. For that I give it 4 starts out of 5.

Recommend for anybody who needs a stable replacement ADSL router. Double-check for if you intend to use LTE or 3G modems.
on August 30, 2013
I have Verizon DSL and was using an 8 year old Westell 327W router which started to become unreliable - it would just seem to hang periodically.

Within 10 minutes out of the box I had this running and working great. Connections to my Windows laptop and my Nexus 4 are once again solid. I also was able to connect to my employer VPN without any additional setup. There are a few laser-printed US-specific sheets of paper in the box with instructions for set up for what look to be all US DSL providers. A small negative is that the configuration software is provided on CD and I could not find a download on the company's website (I don't have a disc drive any more) but it did not prevent me from setting up the DSL.

I also enjoy that the unit is smaller, runs cooler, and has a much smaller power brick than my old router.

All of this, and it's one of (possibly the?) cheapest combo DSL modem / routers on Amazon. Great buy.
on August 30, 2013
I have tried different Wireless Modem Routers from Amazon to replace my aged AT&T 2-Wire. By far this is the best one. Others either had installation problems or dropped internect connections. This one has lasted almost a week without dropping connection once.
on December 3, 2014
Received the UPVEL router/modem today. I started setting it up and it connected to my DSL provider right away, but couldn't get it to connect to the Internet. I called customer support an talked to Mark who was very helpful, but still wouldn't connect to the Internet. He told me to call my local DSL provider and get some numbers. I called them and they told me to bring it in and they would set it up. I did that and they set it up for me. I still had a problem with my computer connecting, but everything else connected fine. Turns out, I just had to reboot my computer and then it connected. Around 6:30 this evening, Mark from customer service called me back to make sure I had it running and said there's a problem with some computers running windows 7. To me, this is really great customer service that you don't normally find. Also, this modem/router has the best signal strength and seems to be faster than any others have tried. For those reasons I give it 5 stars and highly recommend it.

Update: After using for a day, we started watching a streaming movie. It started dropping connection about an hour into the movie. I had to turn it off and reset it and it went for about 15 minutes and dropped connection. It kept dropping out and I had to keep resetting it. It seemed to be quite hot on the bottom of the unit. The next day, I called customer service and they said they would send me a new unit. I got it in a couple days. I hooked it up today and so far, it seems to be working fine. I will try it to stream another movie in the next couple days and will see if it holds. Their customer service is really good, but will see if it keeps working. I will update again later. I dropped my rating down to 4 stars because of the problems.

Yet another update: the second unit that UPVEL sent to me also started dropping connection with the Internet after a day of use. I didn't want the hassle of going through UPVEL customer service again, so I'm returning it to Amazon for a refund. I will try some other make unit and hope for better luck. I have dropped my rating down to 2 stars. The customer service is very good, but can't fix a bad product. I really believe UPVEL has a serious overheating problem with these units. After heavy video streaming, the unit gets quite hot and starts dropping out. Hopefully they will fix this problem as the unit performs really good when it's working and has good range.
on April 9, 2015
I bought this modem/router in November of 2013 and was really pleased. Speed and wifi range was very good. Then after a few months it failed. I contacted Upvel and they were great and shipped me a new one. I've been using that one for a few months (had a Netgear that I used in between) and now this one has failed.

When it's working, I think it's superior than the others I've tried, and I've tried quite a few. But the failure rate is unacceptable.