Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

Format: DVD|Change

on December 9, 2013
I was extremely disappointed with this DVD. Obvious from the cover, it was a "highlight" of the US Festival. A TRUE music fan would have been exstatic to have a boxed set of this....showcasing EVERY band's FULL length performance over the three day festival. I would have PAID to have this for sure. This DVD is only a "cliff notes" version and a poor one at that. I was extremely disappointed over the fact that Berlin's song wasn't even a full song....maybe 30 seconds of coverage/music of their performance while the rest was listening to Mark Goodman talk and watching a bunch of people dance. I was even more upset that Mark Goodman once again talked over U2's performance. Why couldn't the interview portion be at the beginning or the end....NOT DURING!!!!

This DVD could have been really something amazing had it been full performance. Maybe they will get wise and release it in full format. If you are set on having just a glimpse this is your DVD.
on January 14, 2014
The Us Festival was one of the landmark festivals of the 1980s. Several artists have capitalized on their appearance in recent years, including Quiet Riot, Triumph, Waylon Jennings, and Willie Nelson. There is a 3-disc set available of Metal Day with Ozzy Osbourne, Van Halen, and more. But there is not much out there for fans of the pop side of the Us Festival.

MVDvisual fills a bit of that void with ’83 Us Festival Days 1-3, available on DVD. The disc features live performances by Divinyls, Men At Work, Judas Priest, Missing Persons, and Stevie Nicks, as well as interviews with organizer Steve Wozniak and MTV veejay Mark Goodman. The interviews overlap some of the music, and that is a bit disappointing, but that’s a minor complaint considering the importance of the documentary. The best performances on the DVD come from U2 (“Sunday Bloody Sunday”), Triumph (“Lay It On The Line”), and The Clash (“Should I Stay Or Should I Go”). In fact, The Clash’s performance was their last with Mick Jones, making the song choice even more poignant.

Tracklist
Day 1 (Saturday, May 28th)
“The Boy In Town” Divinyls

“Magic Power” Triumph
“Stand Back” Stevie Nicks
“Outside The Rain” Stevie Nicks
on December 3, 2013
I went to this festival . (BOTH Years it was held) For ALL 3 days, and it was BAD ASS!!! it is BS they barely have a few hours on this video. I'm holding out until they put together a complete package. If they can do it with Live-Aid, they can do it with US!
33 comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERon December 5, 2013
I’ve already read the previous reviews posted here and hope I can add a bit of clarity to the situation – as I seem to be one of the few reviewers who wasn’t at the California concert in 1983. (With an estimated 670,000 people there, I can now see why so many reviewers commented on that.). But I’m on the East Coast and not a fan of huge festivals where you can’t hear the performers, let alone see them.
As another person pointed out, many of the performers who were at the Festival (which Steve Wozniak dished out $22 million to mount as a free event) had contracts that limited whether their performance could be recorded and, if so, how many songs were allowed. This was, of course, before iPhones, though there were camcorders and I’m guessing that there is some private video out there of the performances not on this DVD. If your favorite act is not here, I understand, but if it is, then you MIGHT consider it, but know what you are getting.

The DVD has 3 days of programs. Each one fills 44 minutes so it is obvious that this was originally meant for commercial TV or – most probably MTV. I say that because the performances are separated by comments from “Woz” as well as MTV DJ Mark Goodman. These interviews are more recent. At the end of each day’s program there are two sets of credits. The credits from 2003 are given but also a set from 2009, which may be when Goodman and Woz added their commentary. And now it is being released in 2013 by MVD.

The images are standard 4:3 resolution – not wide screen – which again gives the impression that this was for television viewing. And don’t expect Hi-def or hi-fi sound . For a guy who invented one of the first PCs, I was surprised at the low video resolution on this DVD. The bands vary in style and name. Berlin is here but since their hit from the “Top Gun” soundtrack went off the charts, there’s been little heard from them. And here is U2 EARLY in their career with Bono having a blonde streak in his hair. Maybe it’s me, but Stevie Nicks sounded way off-key in her two numbers.
No it’s not Woodstock or Live Aid or Monterey Pop but a few of these performances by lesser known bands are entertaining. And it’s not a $60. Box set. It’s 135 minutes of rock footage – with some commentary to put it in perspective – and I certainly enjoyed watching it once.

Don't wait - expecting a better version of this Festival. It took 30 years for this to come out so you either settle for this version or not. That's really the bottom line.

I hope you found this review both informative and helpful.

Steve Ramm
“Anything Phonographic”
88 comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 21, 2013
If they can put a couple of songs on here......why can't entire sets be released? You only get a couple of songs from each group. Triumph has 4 or 5 songs....WHY? They have already released their entire concert on DVD/CD a couple of years ago. Same with Priest......they released their entire video concert on 30th anniv of the Screaming for Vengeance CD reissue. Come on Scorps.....Ozzy......VanHalen......get with the program and bury the hatchets.......put your entire set on DVD.
on June 17, 2014
Does it make me biased if I was there? I hope not, but maybe it does. I should have bought this DVD a long time ago. I nearly teared up as it took me back to what would turn out to be one of the best days of my life. The commentary didn't bother me, it did make it more like a documentary. I enjoyed watching the crowd shots as it helped take me back to that fabulous little misty memory. Am I the only one who kept pausing while trying to find myself in the audience?! Mark Goodman said it best when he mentioned the vibe of the audience, it was all about fun (except for the little skirmish in the parking lot/campground between day 1 and 2 haha!) I wasn't making much money in 1983 and was only able to attend day 1 but really wanted to see day 2 also. I didn't know how to pull that off, so this DVD helped fill a bit of that void. Too bad they didn't include the space ship and Jumbo-Tron alien commentary, I thought it was a great fluff piece on the eve of day 1. Also the bit of drama when The Clash was late taking stage due to an argument over money, but I can see why they wouldn't want to mention that in the DVD. Perhaps that was Joe's way of fighting back against being labeled a sell out, RIP JS. If a lack of full band sets will bother you then this is likely not the product for you. There are a few bands who have released full set list DVD versions, I highly recommend The English Beat one as it does not disappoint at all. I think this product is more of a must have for anyone who was there. I thank those involved in delivering this to us.
on January 14, 2014
While the video is interrupted with commentary and they are missing most the bands performances, it still brought back good memories. I was there on rock day and it was just like I remembered, packed to the gills. I was hoping to see David Lee forget all the words to his songs again...too bad. If you were there, its worth the watch cause if your memory is like mine most of it was a blur. If not, it'll be a waste of your time.
on January 28, 2014
Bummer, the dvd is only about 1 1/2 hours long for 3 days, half the groups never made it to the dvd. I wanted the entire festival not a few pieces of it.
on January 20, 2014
Just a cursory showing of some of the bands that played the festival with poor audio to boot. The music sounds OK but the narration is very quiet in level. Speaking of narration, it sucks and they duck the music right out to put that crap in. Really awful. This event deserves a multi DVD set with all performances intact.
on January 4, 2014
Bands not on video that played US festival:
Oingo Boingo, Flock of Seagulls, Quiet Riot, Motley Crüe, Ozzy, Van Halen, Los Lobos, the Pretenders, Joe Walsh, and David Bowie. Much of the crowd footage was just looped file footage throughout video and many bands that were included only played 1 or 2 songs.