Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Gear Up for Football STEM Toys & Games

The USA release is 144 minutes!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 22, 2007 8:30:48 PM PDT
All that 119 minutes stuff is baloney. The Special Edition is the complete 144 minute film.

Posted on Nov 5, 2009 6:07:48 AM PST
I wish there was a way to see the first version that was released in the states that includes a scene in the hospital with Wendy, Danny and Ullman. I remember seeing the movie in the theaters with my dad, but we must have gone after Kubrick pulled the movie and cut that scene out.

Posted on May 5, 2010 6:47:31 PM PDT
I did manage to see that scene (because I saw the first showing of the movie here in Los Angeles at the Village Theater in Westwood!) and i can testify that the scene was short and very simple; it didn't add much to the movie. It was simply Ullman visiting Wendy in her hospital room and telling her that, aside from the two bodies at the Overlook (Jack and Dick Halloran's) the authorities didn't find anything else amiss at the hotel. That was it.

Interestingly, I once heard Barry Nelson in person talking about that hospital scene and how it had continued on with him leaving Wendy's room and stepping into the corridor. Danny was supposedly playing at the other end of the hall. Ullman takes a ball out of his pocket and rolls it down the hallway to Danny...

If memory serves, Nelson said that was shot but never cut into the movie. It was absolutely not in that first screening the morning the movie opened, just the brief sequence in Wendy's room.

Posted on Feb 26, 2012 3:50:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2012 3:51:58 PM PST
D. Parks says:
Why is one or more of the old DVD releases 142 minutes when the newest and blu-ray release are 144 minutes? What's missing from the older DVD version, or added to the newest releases? And what's the difference between the 144-minute version and the reported 146-minute original theatrical version?

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 5:40:35 AM PDT
hey a big surprise, i live in Zurich and we have the zurich film festival and they bring SHINING extended cut running time 168 mins.
i bought my ticket already.
i hope they gonna release a blu ray in a few months for this extended cut.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Oct 22, 2007
Latest post:  Sep 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Shining [VHS]
The Shining [VHS] by Jack Nicholson (VHS Tape - 1991)
4.4 out of 5 stars (2,239)