Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Disney Infinity 3.0 Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day
USB What file types does this support via the usb port? I have craploads of mkv files and want to make sure this will play them.
asked by Bobby on March 4, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 answers
A
The XD does not have usb.
R. Diamond answered on March 9, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I'm sure glad you straighten things out. You said exactly what I was thinking, except I took a short cut. Did it the simple way. It all boil's down to, yes it will play your .avi's
RE answered on March 13, 2012

A
that's not we he said at all... The Roku 2 will play mp4 and mkv if it is encoded correctly i.e. h.264 video and aac/ac3 audio. My Roku 2 will not even recognize an avi file, so OP don't bet that it will work.
Amazon Customer answered on March 13, 2012

A
Correct, R. Diamond. I meant to ask this about another model, not this one. My mistake.

Basically I just wanted to make sure the Roku 2 supported at least what the original Roku did, as it apparently does.

I think avi's are crap and don't really care whether it plays them or not.
Bobby answered on March 13, 2012

A
AVI and MKV are not the same at all. AVI and MKV are NOT media formats themselves, they are simply packages for containing the separate audio and video components necessary for playback. An AVI may contain, for example, a DivX video stream and an MP3 audio stream - the AVI container is responsible for holding all the data necessary for keeping them in sync as they both play back. The MKV format adds some things to the containers that AVI doesn't have - support for containing the h.264/AVC video format (best format for HD video right now, which is why you see it in relation to Blu-Ray), support for chapters, support for subtitles (if you have a subbed AVI, it's probably baked into the video stream), and playback menus.

That said, your MKV files should play on a Roku 2.
DuckPuppy answered on March 12, 2012
Comment | 1 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The extension .mkv is used on Blu-ray only. It is actually a .avi file. I don't know why they used mkv instead of avi. It would have been more simple, but we don't seem to want to do things the simple way.
RE answered on March 11, 2012
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product