Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 23, 2010
Good USMLE step 1 anatomy books are really tuff to come by, and, unfortunately, this book is one of the best on the market. Lets face it, it is a low yeild topic that is really tough to review, and if you take this book at face value, you are going to be wasting a lot of time reading about minute details that don't matter. Each chapter is really bogged down in picky details about the orientation and placement of structures within the body, which means that you are going to need to spend some time to go through this book in its entirety. The good news is that there is a much easier way to study for USMLE step 1 anatomy using this book. Each chapter has boxes that gives clinical scenarios about how an anatomic problem might present. I had no anatomy question on step 1 that wasn't covered in these boxes! Know them well, and you will do well on step 1's anatomy! I also recommend looking at the radiographic pictures in this book. I found this book to be a little light on images, but it covered everything that was on the test. In summary, if you choose this book, don't get booged down in remembering every detail after reading each chapter, but make sure that you know the clinical presentations and the images really well!
on August 1, 2015
Purchased this review book at the suggestion of a roommate in preparation for the NBME anatomy subject exam. At my school, we do a week of tests for the final block of school, followed by another week of subject exams, so having time to do concentrated review studying of any one subject is pretty hard to come by. That said, I found Road Map for anatomy to be the perfect option for my needs; it's concise and sums up the important points of a year's worth of a gross anatomy course in a relatively short book. Would definitely recommend it. (And yes, I passed my exam :)
on June 8, 2011
This book would have been too simple to study alone for our anatomy course during the first year of medical school, but I think they feed us more detail than many other schools. It's more than sufficient for Step 1 and the clinical correlates highlight very pertinent facts that are good to know first year AND for step 1. I needed a companion anatomy atlas, though, because the pictures are limited.
on June 7, 2010
Not a perfect book, but organized the best way to facilitate learning Gross in med school. BRS has a lot more info, but the extra stuff is low to no yield. Personally, I found the muscle tables for the UL & LL to be awkwardly arranged, but I suppose everyone has their own preferred way of charting out muscles. The clinical correlations in this book are money, & this was the only source I found that could make autonomics (especially in the abdominal & pelvic regions) make sense. Great book, worth the money. It obviously won't help you for the lab practical, but for the written portions of your exams this is a lifesaver. For the incoming freshmen med students (or newly christened freshmen) who haven't figured this out yet - you're more than likely not going to have time to read through whatever monster of a textbook your professors recommend. Maybe go through your campus bookstore's stock first to compare this to other guides out there, but I imagine this book's format benefits you most for this particular course. Use this & your dissector, & I guarantee you'll blow Gross out of the water.
on October 14, 2010
I'm a first-year medical student, so I didn't buy this book to study for the boards (at least not yet...) I was told that it would be a helpful supplement for my anatomy course, and it really is! It spends a lot of time describing the pathological states associated with all the anatomy that we're learning, which helps me put things in perspective - and also helps me with exam questions that involve injuries, e.g. "What muscle actions would be affected by a mid-shaft fracture of the humerus?" It's something that I could maybe figure out on my own if I had a really functional knowledge of the anatomy of the arm, but it helps to have that knowledge spelled out for me.

I also like that the book focuses on anatomy instead of going on lengthy excursions to explain related concepts from histology or biochemistry. For instance, the section about kidneys mentions the context of nephrons and loops of Henle in the gross anatomy of the kidney but doesn't spend a few pages explaining how nephrons work. For that reason this would make a lousy textbook, but I think it makes a really useful study aid for anatomy specifically.

I wish the diagrams in the book were a little more descriptive or more labeled, though - when I study with this, I usually have to keep an anatomy atlas next to me to see a picture of what this book is describing.
on August 11, 2010
The good thing about this book in comparison w/ a lot of other review books like bRS and HY i that it manages to give a good introduction and understanding of the material without being too long (like BRS) or being so broad that it requires a separate source for understanding (like HY).
The guy who wrote this is the same guy in the video lectures for Kaplan USMLE Step 1 in many ways this is a summary of the Kaplan Step 1 Anatomy book, which is THE primary resource for anatomy boards review.
I'm currently using this for coursework and it provides a good background on some facts I have missed, as well as helping fill in gaps in my understanding.
I haven't taken Step1 yet but when I do I don't think I'll even read the Kaplan anatomy book and will go straight to this instead. Memorizing the whole book is too much for boards review, but one would do just fine learning the clinical correlates and the images I think.
on November 18, 2012
This book is EXTREMELY helpful and well put together. Dr. White really knows what he's talking about. The book will get you through Gross Anatomy.
on July 11, 2014
Succinct and concise. Great study tool in addition to netters and thieme
on October 25, 2015
Great study aid for anatomy
on December 27, 2010
I'm a first year med student and I bought this book when we had our anatomy course. I didn't really use it much during the class because our school doesn't really emphasize clinically relevant anatomy and it was not detailed enough. However, I decided to review anatomy over winter break and it's proving to be very useful for that. I'm learning lots of clinical information and it's presented in a simple way, allowing me to fly through pages fairly quickly. The review of anatomy is thorough but not invested in detail which I love. I'm reading the review book in combination with looking at Netter's (since the images in the book are not great), and it's working wonderfully. Not sure how this book prepares you for boards but I'll probably read through it a few more times before my dedicated study period.