4.0 out of 5 stars Good study tool, July 1, 2001
Umber76 (Brookline, MA, USA) - See all my reviews
I begin by saying that there is no perfect practice set of questions for the USMLE Step 2 exam (not a single book that deserves 5 stars). This book highlighted several key points that actually came on my exam. However the format of the questions did not accurately represent the exam (but I have not found *any* set of questions that does). Good points: 1/3 of the questions have lots of lab values that you must sift through. In the actual exam you must be very comfortable with lab values. There are excellent quality images in the book. And the explantions are concise yet informative. Bad points: 2/3 of the questions are either "all are true EXCEPT" (which do not appear on the exam) or are quick recall (when the actual exam is more conceptual). All in all, I am glad I used this book and would recommend it as a study tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Had to write this!, April 6, 2003
I'm not much for writing reviews, but this book helped me so much on the step 2 exam that I felt compelled to sing its praises. Absolutely superb, "on the money" questions and answers that are very high-yield and well-written. One of the things that I really liked also was the author's conversational style and sense of humor. He doesn't make you feel retarded every time you read the explanation to a question you got wrong. Best investment I made as far as step 2 review goes (believe me, I wasted a lot of money on review books, some of which I never even got a chance to open). Also liked the NMS Step 2 question book, but this one was better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have revew source for MCQ, March 31, 2003
"juliewo" (Cleveland, OH) - See all my reviews
These MCQs are the best around and of the same difficulty as the actual exam (took test 3/2003). Great explanations of answers that are written in a friendly format so you don't feel [dumb] for missing questions. Mimics current exam format with individual blocks of questions and limited number of questions with figures (which you often don't need to get the question right). Highly recommend this book for anyone who likes to use MCQs to prepare.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets it Right, June 24, 2002
I'm an IMG whose grades really matter to him when it comes to applying for a residency program in the US. I just did my Step 2 Exam hoping that I was prepared for it. MY way for doing just that is to answer as many MCQs as you can, read the answer discussions and write notes on anything that you may deem interesting. In my preparation for the exam there weretwo sources of questions that I used. Kapla's online QBank and Brochert's Mock Exam. Both of which helped me achieve a score that I'm happy with. Brochert's questions, although at times not displayin the clinical vignette format of the exam as that in Kaplan's the areas that it covers appear EXACTLY as they do in the exam. While doing the exam, I was equally surprised and content that I went through Brochert to be prepared.
The best thing about the way the Qs and their discussions are structured is the fact that you actually can imagine the author telling what is right and wrong and how to prepare to be better. There are some books out there that make you feel down when you don't know an answer to a Q, but Brochert eases your mind when it comes to difficult Qs. The author was a student before and knows how sensitive we can get when it comes to such matters.
All in all, an excellent. I cannot recommend it enough. in fact the publishers should state behind the book that you should prepare using this book and you will pass or your money back!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars a MUST have book for step 2 review, May 3, 2001
I cannot say enough good things about this book. Great coverage of a wide range of topics with questions that make sure you understand the concepts, as the boards do. Great explanations for the answers written in an easy-to-read format. Test questions broken up into blocks to help you simulate and practice the test format. Several of the questions have associated photos, 2 of which actually appeared on my exam!

4.0 out of 5 stars A question vignette format of his Secrets Book, September 1, 2004
This review is from: USMLE Step 2 Mock Exam, 2e (Paperback)
If you read Brochert's Step 2 Secrets book, then you will have no problems navigating through the Mock Exam. The book is good in that it reinforces some key ideas from his Secrets book, and it's another source of questions for your Step 2 prep. As far as teaching you something different from his Secrets or Crush books, you won't get that in this book.

The book is most helpful not with its clinical vignette questions, but with its "most common" questions, which showed up a lot on my exam. In short, there are better question books and banks out there, so think twice before buying this book IF you haven't already read Secrets or Crush Step 2.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good MCQ tool to accompany crush the boards, January 5, 2003
By A Customer
This book is very good to use with crush the board. The questions seemed easier than the actual test but they cover the topics from Crush The Boards 2 well, and have clear answers. I found NMS to more closly mirror the difficulty level of the actual test. Differential Dx is the key for the exam.

5.0 out of 5 stars great way to review, April 14, 2002
Quality questions with superb answer explanations. Mimics current exam question style (took the exam last month). Up-to-date and comprehensive, covering all topics. Strongly recommend!

4.0 out of 5 stars More Questions, November 24, 2004
Well, I must say that the best way to place high on Step II is to really build your foundational knowledge of the application of medicine during your 3rd year. That said, I feel that the importance of doing practice questions for several months before the actual exam cannot be overstated.

But there is really an art to "doing practice questions." One part of that art is to have a huge bank of questions available. Basically, each question in the entire bank adds one (or sometimes a few) little fact(s) to your fund of knowledge.

If you have a limited bank of questions, and that is your primary "test prep" source, then you run the risk of not being adequately prepared for the actual exam. Unfortunately, as we all know, USMLE can be rather nitpicky. So simply knowing a broader base of detailed facts can play in greatly to your advantage on the real exam.

I found "USMLE Step 2 Mock Exam" to present a very good variety of facts that were not as well covered in other sources (Kaplan, NMS, other minor sources). Thus, it added to my overall knowledge base in a complimentary way, which is exactly what I hoped for when I purchased the book.

I recommend this book as an additional resource while preparing for Step II. If you have the time, it can help to go through this book and your other resources more than one time each. I found that the questions I had seen more than once bought facts to my recall much faster during the exam. Many facts I learned in this book were directly applicable to helping me understand questions on the actual exam.

5.0 out of 5 stars highly recommended!, May 3, 2001
Break-up into timed sections, question length and content and subjects covered pretty closely matched my exam, which I took 2 weeks ago. Answers to questions explain why one answer is correct and why the others are wrong. Also gives helpful test-taking tips and advice. Highly recommend it!

USMLE Step 2 Mock Exam, 2e
USMLE Step 2 Mock Exam, 2e by Adam Brochert (Paperback - August 3, 2004)
Used & New from: $1.32