Customer Discussions > Dark Souls - Xbox 360 forum

USPS in trouble why is it not a shipping option?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 8, 2011 12:00:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 8, 2011 12:01:49 AM PDT
RPT111 says:
OK, I have been buying games off of Amazon for years now. I also care about America's post office system, and their troubles. So (as kind of an open letter) why can I not have USPS as an option for shipping. I would pick them every time. I know many people would rather have a corporation like FedEx or UPS deliver their stuff, but I rather support the men and women that work for our government and not another run of the mill corporation. If my shipment takes a few more days I don't care. Let's try to prevent a bail out of our post office and give them the business they deserve. btw sorry i wanted this in the main forum, not the dark souls topics.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 4:17:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 8, 2011 4:18:03 PM PDT
Vylsith says:
First off, the men and women who work for USPS do not work for the government. It is just another run of the mill corporation that just happens to be strongly tied to the government due to the fact that it's basically given a virtual monopoly over the mail system (very similar to AT&T with the phone system until recent years). Now UPS and FedEx do small parcel delivery and are MUCH more efficient at doing so. They have a much larger network of resources in that field (in fact UPS has one of the largest fleets in the world) and USPS simply can't compete price wise with them and still maintain any semblance of a profit. Also, if UPS and FedEx suddenly caved there is no way that the USPS could possibly move all of the packages that need to be moved. They simply don't have the manpower and the resources to do so. Even FedEx, which is considerably larger than the USPS in that faculty, has a UPS shipper number which it uses during the holiday season when it can't meet the demands of their customers (I used to work for UPS doing tech support for their software).

Now on to the second point. If the USPS shows signs of going under the US government basically has two options. First, they could let the USPS collapse and give the business of mail delivery over to private organizations which you would then most likely pay some form of utility payment per month based on mail usage. Not a very good option honestly since there would be no unification between the businesses and it would become much more difficult to get letters where they need to go quickly and efficiently without a considerable increase in cost. The second option would be for the government to simply take over USPS funding (which is much more likely). I seriously doubt the government is about to let the USPS go under anytime soon. Here's something you should realize though. UPS has a MUCH larger employee base just in the US alone than the USPS. If it goes under the economic effects would be huge for the US. UPS has something like 600,000 employees worldwide. It's ginormous. They're also MUCH better at delivering small parcels than the USPS (which is why they're used much more often than the USPS).

In answer to your question about why Amazon doesn't offer USPS as a shipping option, probably because they're much more expensive than UPS and FedEx. Amazon gets a huge discount on bulk shipping through UPS and FedEx. They don't through USPS which to my knowledge doesn't make deals to lower shipping costs for corporations. That's why you don't get A USPS option. If the USPS decides to broaden their small parcel shipping and offer the same incentives to large businesses as FedEx and UPS then you'll start to see it as an option. It's not overly likely that that will ever happen. The USPS simply isn't outfitted to do the same kind of bulk small parcel shipping as UPS and FedEx. There's no room in their little carts and they don't have the same technology set up for parcel tracking as UPS and FedEx. Anyway, I've rambled long enough.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Oct 8, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 8, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dark Souls - Xbox 360
Dark Souls - Xbox 360 by Namco (Xbox 360)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (417)