Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Sweepstakes in Prime Music Shop Now HTL

on July 24, 2011
I was updating my aging Windows XP computer system which had a 56K PCI Faxmodem USR5660A which cannot run under Windows 7. That modem always connected at 45.2Kbps or 44Kbps. So I decided to throw in a new modem which can run under Windows 7.

I first ordered the TRENDnet 56K Internal PCI Data/Fax/TAM Modem TFM-PCIV92A based on user reviews. I immediately returned the TRENDnet modem because it would not connect above 33.6Kbps, didn't have an on board speaker to monitor dialtone and dialup, and would not output dialtone and dialup to my default soundcard and desktop speaker. Amazon promptly authorized the return and refunded my payment including return shipping cost.

I next decided to stick with U.S Robotics and ordered the U.S. Robotics V.92 PCI Software Faxmodem USR5670 which looks virtually identical to the USR5560A. The USR5670, however, has drivers for all Windows operating systems after Windows 95 and runs under Windows 7 using the Microsoft drivers included with Windows 7. The USR5670 installed and worked fine in my old computer under Windows XP, but would not connect above 44Kbps. I could not connect at 45.2Kbs as I could with the USR5560A software modem. Though I kept the USR5670, this irked me enough to try still one more modem.

I then looked at the U.S. Robotics 56K V.92 Performance pro Modem USR5610C, a hardware modem. It works with every Windows operating system from MS-DOS through Windows 7 plus Linux. The modem is a bit pricey, but I quicky found a factory refurbished USR5610C modem available online for only a dozen bucks plus change with free shipping, a real bargain! I ordered one and easily installed it, updating the flash memory with software downloaded from the U.S. Robotics support site. This modem allowed me to again connect at 45.2Kbps, but, as a bonus, it maintained a steadier and faster transfer rate downloading files than any of the previous software modems. In fact, with this modem I was finally able to successfully download a file I had been unable to download from one site after numerous attempts over many weeks.

If you need a low-profile PCI modem, the USR5670 includes both standard and low-profile brackets. The USR5610C is a standard size PCI modem and will not fit in a low profile computer case.

The bottom line, the USR5670 software modem works okay (4 stars), but if you see a bargain priced refurbished USR5610C Performance Pro hardware modem (5 stars), go for it instead! (Note: make sure you are getting a USR5610C modem, NOT a USR5610A modem. The USR5610A does not run under all Windows systems!)
on November 7, 2012
I ordered two of these for an important project. One stopped working after making a single call, requiring a replacement.

My problems didn't end there. Despite getting a replacement, neither of these modems worked reliably. Calls failed to connect half the time, and even when it did connect, it was extremely slow and prone to disconnects. After some testing, trying different drivers and configurations, using them in different computers, and trying other products, we determined the modems themselves were faulty. Using another model from a different company solved all these problems.

Three faulty modems. Hours of labor troubleshooting. Just stay away from this product.
on August 27, 2008
This modem after one week is holding the phone line "off hook". As soon as you plug in the phone line it is off the hook and cannot function at all. Tried hard reboot, driver reinstall, and uninstall reinstall. This appears to be a physical switch problem in the modem. I have just sent tech support an email and will update this review. For now I cannot recommend this product. FYI - Was working fine with VentaFax for one week.
on June 1, 2009
Didn't work at all with my computer. Drivers sent w/modem were old versions. Downloaded Vista software from USRobotics also doesn't work. Tech from USRobotic was helpful but even he said that there was no way to make it work. Sent modem back. I rated it one star but would have given it five IF it had worked.
on June 3, 2008
Bought this Modem to replace a Aopen modem that wasen't supported in Vista,
it was instantly recognized by vista and installation was a breeze.
I still need a modem for sending the odd fax, so the price was right and I can highly recommend this modem!
on February 20, 2011
I installed the modem in my HP PC running Windows 7 32 bit, closed up the case, turned on the PC, and Windows 7 found the modem.

It worked successfully the first time I used it.

Inexpensive, easy to install, and works as it should.
on August 20, 2011
Installation was very simple; just take off the computer's cover, remove the cover from one of the PCI slots and push this into the PCI slot. Tighten the screw and put the cover back on. It was easy to do!
Software installation was very quick. I had a problem with the computer recognizing the modem and called the help line. They were able to direct me (turns out I had another modem software that was controlling the modem's slot-I just turned it off and then this modem's software took over).
The package came with fax software that lets me receive and send faxes right from the computer. It's very easy to use and I can see the faxes right on the screen as they come in.
Recommended for home or small office.
on February 28, 2015
This modem is a real workhorse. It performs better than any other software modem I've tried. It is compatible with Microsoft operating systems from Windows 98 first edition through 8.1. They CAN be damaged and fried by lightning strikes and power surges, but they last a good while and are not very pricey. My brother & I both use these, and don't really consider anything else. I MIGHT try the USR 5610C Hardware modem some day just to see if the extra money is worth it, but we're way out in the country and I'm fairly sure that the poor quality of the phone lines is the reason for our slow 26 Kb speeds, NOT the modem.
on October 17, 2014
I have a medical office and receive about 15 faxes\day, and I send about 30 faxes\day (reports, prescriptions, etc.) on 2 Windows 8,
1 Win 7, 2 XP's, and 1 Win 98 machines. I'm out of business without fax modems. I use USR5670 modems exclusively.
I know that these modems are really manufactured by CONEXANT (Peel the USR label off the largest chip and you'll find a CONEXANT chip. I buy USR fax modems at a higher price than the identical CONEXANT modems feeling that their value to my
medical practice is ever so much greater than the cost of the modem itself.
on June 22, 2014
The USRobotics 5670 is an excellent modem! I plugged it into the PCI slot and Windows 7 found it right after I logged in. I tested it with my local dial-up provider and it works like a charm! Its on-board speaker also works very well (giving it another element of nostalgia). Although I have not used it in a low-profile computer, it comes with a low-profile bracket that you can attach to it, a very helpful option for those who need it. USRobotics makes great modems and I would certainly recommend this one to anyone who is searching for a good quality modem.