5.0 out of 5 stars A Can-Do little generator!
Published on June 13, 2009 by John Culp

1.0 out of 5 stars Very noisy - poor warranty
I recently purchased a UST model GG1200, 1200w generator. After unpacking the unit it was examined for damage and none was found. I noticed that the generator now includes a hour meter which is good for keeping track of run time and when to do maintenance.

Published on June 10, 2011 by Wayne A. Hergert

1.0 out of 5 stars Very noisy - poor warranty, June 10, 2011
This review is from: UST GG1200 1,200 Watt 2.4 HP 79.5cc 4-Stroke OHV Portable Gas Powered Generator (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Lawn & Patio)

The generator was filled with oil and ˝ gallon of Marathon ethanol free gasoline premixed with STA-BIL fuel stabilizer. The generator started on the third pull and was allowed to run with a 100w lamp as a load. After a few minutes, the engine began to become noisy and sounded like it had marbles bouncing around in it.

The generator was stopped and examined to find the source of the noise. When slowly rotating the crankshaft, I noted that when each valve passed through its maximum opening point, a click was heard. Also, when the exhaust valve passed the compression release nipple on the camshaft, it made a much louder click as the valve closed on the compression stroke. As the engine reaches operating temperature, the valve clearance increases resulting in the valve train becoming excessively noisy. At 7 meters, the noise level was measured at 72 dBa, and the valve train noise was louder than the exhaust noise. Also noted was the voltage output would fluctuate up and down about 6 volts as noted on the voltmeter, and the 100w lamp could be seen flickering. Evidently it has some problems that need to be repaired.

I called IMS and explained the problems with the generator. I was told to return it to where I purchased it. The fuel and oil was drained, the fuel system hot air purged for 2 hours, and returned to the store.

This is an important note about the warranty on this generator. It is a limited parts only,no labor, warranty valid for a period of 1 year or 60 hours, whichever comes first. Most advertisements for this generator only mention the 1 year warranty, but not the 60 hours as stated in the manual.

3.0 out of 5 stars good little generator, June 11, 2009
The only problem with generator was in shipping it arrived with a broken on off switch the box was in great shape may be it was broken before shipping. Other wise it seems to be a great running machine starts easy always by second pull my other generator was a 2 cycle and it was a pain to get started and was broken beyond repair after a couple years.Also I don't think that it will run as long as stated maybe 4 hours at half throttle. But 4 hours on a gallon of gas is not bad. I replaced the on off switch with a keyed switch that I had laying around it was a easy fix.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Can-Do little generator!, June 13, 2009
John Culp (Bristol, TN USA) - See all my reviews
When I unpacked it, I just put oil and fuel in the engine, followed the simple directions and it started right up. I quickly opened the choke and it "hunted" for a minute before settling down as it warmed up; that wouldn't have happened if I'd gradually opened the choke as it warmed up. No problem, I could've plugged in an electrical load right away and it would've settled down. I found it will continuously power a 1500W heater without complaint, though obviously that's not recommended. It's got plenty of reserve, though, at its rated 1000W capacity. The whole thing's made in China, including the engine that looks to me like a copy of an OHV Tecumseh. With it running outside under load I can hear it all through the house, sounding about like a push mower. It would be a bit loud for running at night in a quiet campground. My intended use for it is for an emergency heat source for a pet in case of a winter power outage, so noise isn't an issue for me. I think this is a dandy little generator for light duty, at a very good price.

1.0 out of 5 stars do not buy get a honda, December 15, 2013
only used 2 time one hr run time and it runs bad now
very loud can to run unless you have no one this in a mile of your home

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent for what you pay. Good for a last resort., August 29, 2014
It's not as bad as people say. Pretty good generator for someone who doesn't use it often. It gets the job done for what it is. I got 45 hours out of mine. It worked great. But when I put it away I forgot to drain the fuel and ended up with a clogged carb. After cleaning it up the governor broke as I was putting it back together. VERY hard to get replacement parts for these, and there aren't any shops around that specialize in the generators.

These aren't Hondas or Yamahas. They will not tolerate HD use. My first 1200W UST was shot at 20 hours. Picked up another one because I didn't need a $1500 Honda or one that last for decades. Since I've been getting some power outages recently, I decided to get a 4000W generator. It's not branded as a UST but from what I hear, these generators are all made in the same factory but are then sold under 20+ different names.

Overall I highly recommend these cheaper generators as backups(ones you don't completely depend on). They work fine if they're maintained right and don't get heavy use.

2.0 out of 5 stars buy a name brand, July 26, 2012
J. Frazier (TX United States) - See all my reviews
Used the 5500W or gg model for hurricane Ike in Texas and worked fine at the house but after 6 months went to pull the rope and the plastic broke on the starter assembly housing and the rope pulled through the plastic. They should have used a metal housing or reinforced the area where the rope comes through. Also electricity fluttered with this on my RV when using at deer lease as engine goes up and down when a load kicks in such as with an air conditioner. It burned up my air conditioner and cost me 800 bucks on my travel trailer to replace. Would not use this on air conditioner or anything sensitive to requiring a constant flow of sustained electricity. Junk parts, hard to find replacements, poor customer service. Listen to your inner voice and wise father, spend the extra 200 bucks and buy a name brand, save yourself the hassle.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great generator for the price!, August 30, 2013
Eric Wadsworth (Moorpark, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this about four years ago, as a "just in case" measure. I only started it once or twice during that time... until last night. My power went out at 5:00 PM, and didn't return until after midnight. In the meantime, this little generator kept power to my two large fridges, a light, and my laptop. It's noisy, but it works, and it was cheap.

I'm giving it three stars instead of five, because one time when I tried to start it last year, it didn't want to start. I had to remove the cover from the air intake, and squirt some starter fluid in there. Also, the diagram next to the fuel valve doesn't match the actual positions of the fuel valve, so you don't really know how to turn the flow on or off properly.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love mine, looking for another about twice the size, April 9, 2009
While looking for a 2800 - 3600 watt unit, I ran across a bad review on the 1200 watt UST. I bought the exact unit (although from a competitor) right after hurrican Ike to charge the batteries on my boat every couple of weeks or so. It's a great unit, very small, fairly quiet (I put it on the other side of my car at the slip and can't hear it run. It looks like it gets about 8 or more hours per tank (I never have run it until it's out) It's so much quieter than the 4000 watt unit of my slip neighbor and it only holds about 1.4 gallons (by the way, it's a 2.4 hp not the 2.5 listed, look really good at the picture and you'll see what I mean) I have about 30 hours on it over maybe 10 total runs. It won't run the boat's a/c (too small) so I'm looking for a 3000 watt unit and will buy this brand if the price is right....I only have about $180 in it. It starts 1st or 2nd pull each time. I can probably sell it for what I have in it. It looks like a miniture 5kw unit. I like the fact that it's a 4-stroke. I put it in my car's trunk, no drips, no strains...

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your life or someone elses, February 28, 2013
I have several generators and due to proper maintenance they have performed many hours of usage. I saw this one locally at Wallyworld cheap and took a chance. After powering up it barely ran an electric drill rated at one half the capacity of the generator. The generator labored, the drill actually ran but at reduced power and speed. After a few minutes fuel started spewing from the cap area and could not be stopped, yet as that was no matter because the bowl in the carburator started leaking and could not be stopped. The generator was shut down. All local repair shops refused to work on such junk. (Their words, not mine). I had planned on mounting this on a field vehicle for lightweight work, however first the safety hazard and second the poor performance negates this as being considered for anything of use.

Pros: Cheap
Cons: Can only power a fraction of its rating, fire hazard

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my home and my neighbor as well, November 10, 2012
I bought this generator 3 years ago when our power went out, I never had to use it because the power was back on when I got delivery. When we lost power on october 29th 2012 I put this little wonder to use, my poor neighbor would have lost all of his food and would have remained in the dark for the 7 days we were without power if not for this little gem. This little generator worked like a charm for 7 days straight non stop it may be a little noisier than you would like it to be but believe me it was a sound I came to love. I hooked up a 100 ft extension and plugged in my neighbors refridgerator and I had my refridgerator and a small chest freezer hooked up..not to mention the tv's and the cable boxes and lights. This little giant trully saved us. I would buy another one if I had to in a minute...but it is still in brand new condition and resting comfortably in the garage in a place of honor.