on April 16, 2012
I have both the Maxpedition bag and this UTG bag on the desk as I am writing this review. Both are very sturdy, with the Maxpedition bag feeling like slightly heavier canvas.

Notable differences:
The Maxpedition bag uses paracord zipper pulls that don't jingle, the UTP uses metal zipper pulls that "clack".
The Maxpedition Bag has a small carry handle at the top, rear, the UTG lacks this piece.
The Maxpedition shoulder strap is noticeably heavier/thicker (not wider, but thicker web material) than the UTG strap.
The UTG plastic quick-release buckles seem just as strong as the Maxpedition, but they are slightly different and won't connect to the Maxpedition accessories, like the strap extender.
Overall the Maxpedition bag uses a bit better hardware and heavier fabric and the craftmanship is a bit better. (I can see several seams that don't perfectly align on the UTG, but that is only a minor cosmetic issue which is noted only upon detailed inspection)

All of that being said, the UTG bag is quality product and a real bargain. It is not quite as stout as the Maxpedition bag, but it is well constructed and very sturdy. Many accessories will fit both bags and the overall layout is nearly identical. The Maxpedition bag is exceptional, the UTG bag is closer to "very good". but at a far lower price.

If you asked me the real difference, I'd say that I'll probably be willing the Maxpedition bag to my grandchildren, while it's possible the UTG bag might only last one lifetime. Like most Leapers products, this is a very good product at a very fair price.
on August 26, 2010
This bag is very well made and an excellent substitution for the more costly Jumbo Versipack by Maxpedition. Having compared both and owning the UTG I encourage anyone contemplating on buying a Versipack to save your money and purchase the UTG pack. This is a first rate pack in quality and craftsmanship.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 15, 2012
Outstanding quality, plenty of pockets and a very functional (with one caveat - later) design and good durability make it a super-value choice for an all-around manpurse/jump bag. The you-know-who bags are great - make no mistake, but the price is outrageous for tightwads like me. I buy components to build my rifles, do my own triggers and night sights, mount my own scopes, build my own computers, etc. to save a few bucks where and when I can without giving up any quality or functionality, and still know it was done RIGHT. This is very close to the bag I'd build if I could.

For camping/hunting/fishing this is the best gps/phone/maps/lights/radio/batteries/knife/first aid/survival/ammo/license/meds/optics/tool/camera organizer I've found that can still actually be carried comfortably and not be a bigger PITA than it's worth. For geocaching, it is an absolute necessity, and using it ONCE will ensure you never even think about going without it. Access, pockets, organization, security, comfort, flexibility and durability are all excellent, and all done in a way that carries OUT OF THE WAY but still at hand (unlike a backpack or fanny pack), and won't hang up or trip you up in rough conditions. With the exterior velcro and webbing, it's like a lego bag - you can adapt it to whatever you need it for.

I'm not sold on the weapon pouch - the closure, height and angle of draw is horrible - period. Holster your weapon on the right, carry this on the left and all is well. Getting to the pouch is OK - but unless you have ample time as in a very patient, understanding bear or bad guy, actually retrieving a weapon from it without losing the hide off the back of your hand in an acceptable amount of time is very tough, and needs both hands and both eyes - extremely dangerous requirements. For overnight or vehicle storage, it would be fine (where allowed), or if you're in an area with good visibility and no chance of surprises of the up-close and personal kind, you can make it work. Moving through any kind of cover, or in limited light, however, would make carrying in this bag foolhardy at best. With the webbing/velcro, it's possible (and far safer) to mount a holster on the exterior if there's any chance at all you'll need quick access. If you are a lefty, or if you don't carry, I believe it to be flawless.

The only other thing I can find fault with is the key clip - which is very handy for a number of things. There should be two, or at least put it on the other strap. It's on the wrong side for right-handers, and I'd prefer the multi-pocket part to be facing front as opposed to the water bottle pocket. Carrying the bag on the right side fixes both, but prevents weapon access (either in the bag OR from a right side holster) - again, an issue only if you're right handed and carry 24/7. It's really a personal preference issue - I live in cold, wet country so I need access to pockets much more often than access to a water bottle - YMMV.

Big enough to hold anything you NEED but small enough that some forethought is required - a good thing. Any bigger and it would accumulate too much, get too heavy, and likely be left at camp or on the truck seat, rendering it useless. It CAN be overloaded - an amazing amount of 'stuff' will fit in here, but discretion and a little experience go a long way to keep you from over packing (if not on the first outing, then surely after the second). Any smaller, and you'd have to make sacrifices that could seriously impact safety in a real 'situation'.

If finances allow, this would be an excellent SHTF bag to leave hung over the headrest or in the back seat of your rigs where it would always be close and ready if you didn't want to carry it with you all the time. I wouldn't venture out of my immediate mile without it now - it's just too handy, too well designed, and too adaptable not to keep it within reach. Even for tough climbing, it can be anchored to a belt to stop all movement and swing, stays out of the way, and has extremely high bacon saving potential. A must buy, must have, and must use on my short list for sure. For the price, skipping it would clearly not be justifiable. No reason it won't last forever, and as useful as it is, no reason not to have one - or two.
on December 14, 2013
I bought this bag with the intent of using it to hold my DSLR camera and a few lenses when I didn't need my whole big bag. It holds more than you think it will. I packed a full frame DSLR, three prime lenses and a flash no problem (flash stowed in the the drink holder wrapped in a ziplock bag). I bought a sleeve to pad the sides, the Ape Case ACQB35, if you're searching for one to use with this bag, it fits well, just a tiny bit too big, height is perfect though. Tons of pockets to pack lots of other small things, don't expect to fit anything of size into the random pockets though, they are pretty stiff. I didn't know this was a "cheaper" version of a different bag, it's very solid and I can't imagine what's better about the more expensive one.
review image
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 9, 2011
Bag is exactly as as advertised, no surprises.

No obnoxious smell. Smells like all new nylon packs with waterproofing (my old packs smell much worse. I live in tropics and bags always go "sour" a Simple Green soak fixes them for a while).

No sewing/thread problems.

I removed most of silly over use of Velcro.

I removed padded shoulder strap, don't see need.

Zipper pulls make no obnoxious noise (unless you are maybe a running ninja...only place I run is in airports).

Bonus: Found hidden pocket. just below mini carbiner on shoulder strap, behind all that silly attachment webbing is slot where cell phone slides very nicely. Can use some of silly removed velcro to make a little closure to hold it securely.

Surprise bonus: instead of wearing cross shoulder, if you wear same shoulder, bag barely touches your body (again, high humidity living....all day packs and fanny packs make you sweat big time), "no touch" bag is a joy.

Bag should last as long as any of my name brand packs.

Nice bag.

Scott out...
on September 18, 2010
This Bag Rocks. Unless your going on a serious MAX Pedition You have no reason to pay 3 times the price. I don't see a single thing to have an issue with the quality of this bag. This thing is extreamly durable. You could drag it behind your car for a week and still use it. Some reviewers had issues with loose threads and worries of fray. I belive all issues have been resolved. The only thing that would make it better is for it to come with the CCW Holster or at least come out with one that is UTG priced. For now bend over and pay the $12 for a piece of nylon and velcro. Like the others have said you could easly make it your self but it's not really worth your time. $3 more and you would. $3 less and it's a great deal. They got it on lock. All in all I could not be happier with the purchace. Thanks UTG.
on August 12, 2013
Ok, for those that want a Maxped, SO Tech, Eagle, LBT, or Tactical Tailor bag, this ain't that bag. What it is is an almost exact clone of the Maxpedition Jumbo at less than half the price. At least it's a near clone in form but not in quality. I had this bag for about 8 months using it as my hunting pack before the inside storm drawstring flap tore away from the rest of the bag. The nylon bag and zippers in general seem to be decent quality but when a crucial part of it falls apart, it's hard to give it more than 3 stars.

I am glad I got one if for no other reason than I was able to try out a Maxped design before I forked out the cash for the genuine product (and I DID replace it with a Jumbo). I found I liked the design and I got my money's worth from it. That said, it is not a high quality bag. Not bad for what it is--and probably little better than most Chinese stuff-- but for folks who say it's JUST like the Maxped, they haven't really put it through it's paces.

If you need a bag to carry around as a man bag or tactical diaper bag and don't intend to use it hard, go for it. It will probably give you a few years of service. If you want to see if the Jumbo is really your cup of tea (and it isn't for everyone) before dropping the coin, go for it.

But if you know you like the design and it will work for your intended purposes and you intend to use it hard--load it up with gear, throw it around in a truck, tow it through the underbrush, etc.--break down and fork out the money for a genuine Maxped. Or look for a good used one. You'll be money ahead in the end.

May be that I'm a gear snob, but I've spent too much on gear I've had to buy twice. While there might be a good reason to buy this bag (and I'm not sorry I did), quality only hurts once.
on March 30, 2012
I don't have nearly the amount of stuff to pack this bag with as other people I've seen in youtube videos, where in combination with reviews from Amazon lead me to purchase the bag.

Quality - This is rather good in my opinion, minus one thing and that one thing has taken away my 5 star possible rating. The fabric of the drawstring portion of the main compartment is incredibly weak. Just by the stitching along and pulling the drawstring stretches/tears the fabric from what I can guess. (I've included photos to explain what I am talking about) and I also have since returned it to Amazon for a new one but I think it's just a flaw. Although the new one hasn't tore like the previous one I have yet to really test it. It wouldn't matter much but that drawstring is what secures the contents of the main compartment.

I can't compare this bag to other bags of the same style, but I can say for the price I think this is a pretty good choice. It holds quite a bit and the concealed pocket is quite nice. I have a Walther P99AS Full size and I don't see a need for one of the velcro holsters as the weapon stays pretty secured in the pocket.
review image review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 23, 2011
I just got my UTG bag. I have had it for a few days. My main purpose for this bag is something to carry my XD9 pistol in. I am sick of putting on a holster and being self conscious of someone seeing my piece. A friend suggest a Versipack and after some searching I found this. I had no intentions of spending over 50 dollars for something I may not even like. I have never tried a Maxipedition but I had no intentions of paying 50+ dollars. I have been using it for a few days and here is what I have to say about it:

Pros:
- Well constructed. Thick material, appears to be quality stitching
- Rests well on my body. Sits nicely on my hip.
- Nice amount of room - fits my Mid sized frame pistol+book+camera+assortment of survival gear+water bottle with ease.
- Pockets are east to access. Zippers are high quality
- Adjustable straps
- Comfortable. so far nothing has rubbed me wrong even with only wearing a t-shirt
- Velcro to fit a variety of holsters inside the pistol pocket
- Water bottle pocket fits a variety of water bottles.
- Large pocket has waterproof ability.

Cons:
- Zippers can be noisy
- I wish there was a handle on top to carry bag when not on shoulder
- Some loose thread (I burned it off to prevent further issues)
- Large pocket has waterproof "bladder" with drawstring close that can be annoying.
- Made in China

Guys the bottom line is that this is a great bag for the price. For a 1/3 of the cost of a Maxpedition it is a steal. UTG has improved the quality of their products over the last 10 years and this bag is more proof. Comfortable, plenty of room and CC pocket!
review image review image review image
on July 2, 2013
This item looks sturdy and well made in the pictures, but as other reviewers point out it is poorly constructed of inferior materials. On mine the nylon backing behind the flap pocket has begun to rip after only a few months of VERY light use. Because of the rip anything in that pocket will now fall out. Under heavy field use I can't imagine it would last and I certainly wouldn't trust it to carry firearms or any other tactical gear for that matter. I'm going to return it if I can, otherwise it's going in the trash.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...