Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on DOTD

on January 4, 2008
Really needed to address this product, especially based on the one previous review. This is a wonderful product for those of us who are allergic to any of the other sunscreens. I've searched for years for a sunscreen that I could use, as we spend a good portion of our winters in Florida. I even had severe reactions to the formulations that my dermatologist suggested, but could wear this product.
Yes, it does "stick with you", but that's even going in and out of the Gulf (and I don't usually re-apply, even though I should).
Put on a thin coat. Then just use good old soap and a washcloth in the shower when you get home.
on August 13, 2009
I've tried a few "natural" sunscreens-- all claiming to avoid the burning irritation and toxic chemicals of mainstream brands. Though I've liked the ingredients or texture of some better than UV Natural, this is the best compromise of all worlds, I think. At least, its the best I've found so far. A little goes a long way and during a scuba diving trip in Nicaragua, I would find that one early morning application would keep me from burning the entire day. While it does feel very greasy and sticky going on, after minutes, my normally dry skin felt only nicely moisturized. Two friends with oily and normal skin agreed that they preferred it to the others I had.

I love this product because:
It performs well- I've never had a burn using it.
It lasts long- with good judgement, I usually only need to apply once.
My skin feels well moisturized all day.
Not tested on animals.
Recyclable bottle.
One bottle has been lasting me all summer (so far.)
The bottle is small and concurs with airline regulations for carry-ons.
I don't get irritation, even around the eyes.
Reef friendly- I don't feel guilty polluting the water while protecting myself.

I don't like that:
If my hair touches my face, it can get greasy.
The ingredients aren't quite as simple/pure as those in the Badger sunscreen I have.
It takes a while to apply (sticky.)
It does take some attention to get remove in the shower, but I'd hardly call it a hassle.
on June 7, 2008
LOVE this for my kids. First I feel that it is "no junk" just all natural ingredients that are only good for them. Second, the coverage can't be beat. My kids have NEVER burned and we are out in the poolr 3-4 times a week in the summer. I didn't love the smell at first, it doesn't smell like much, maybe art clay or something, but we got used to it. It is very thick and messy going on, but you don't have to reapply hardly ever. Its amazing. And, it is true, a little goes a very long way, especially on little bodies. Love this stuff. Only stuff for us.
on March 1, 2011
The new product is not the same as the old product.
I found UV Natural back in 2007 at a health food store. It wasn't cheap but I needed a good product that would last all day and not burn my eyes. I was so happy with this product! I work outdoors all day and I am also very active swimming, diving. This product did not burn my eyes at all! Even when swimming in the ocean. I even liked the oilyness of it as it kept my skin moist and went on so smooth and easy. You did not need very much. What I liked MOST OF ALL was that it did not turn my skin white! Like most sunscreens do. I told everyone about this sunscreen, it WAS that good. After not being able to find it in any store this past winter - I was going to Hawaii, so needed a good sunscreen, I ordered it from Amazon.
UV Natural changed the formulation! No longer is it oily, nor does it go on with ease. It leaves your face WHITE. It is not the same product and I am very disappointed that it is not labeled as "NEW" . Neither my mother nor myself is happy with it now. It still does not burn your eyes, and some folks will like it that it is not oily. But not this woman, Sorry UV Natural, you lost a big fan.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 17, 2012
1. This sunscreen does work. That's obvious because when I miss a spot, that spot burns, and the rest of me doesn't.
2. Doesn't contain chemical sunscreens.

1. It's so sticky that it turns me into a walking flytrap. After a bike ride my skin is carpeted with little flies and dust, and I can't wipe it off; it just smears in. I wouldn't use it at the beach because then I'd be walking sandpaper.
2. I can't touch anything while wearing this sunblock. It leaves white marks on leather furniture, stains my clothes and bags, stains the armrests in the car.
3. It takes some scrubbing to get it off in the shower.

My conclusion is that it's more comfortable and convenient to sweat it out in a hat and long sleeves than use this sunscreen. Maybe all the 'natural' sunscreens are like this, but I'll keep looking for something better.
on May 26, 2010
I have multiple chemical sensitivity and any sort of cosmetic fume can make me very ill - whether it be from preservatives, fragrances, etc. I cannot use any of the chemical sunblocking agents, they all off-gas a great deal. This product was my lifesaver the last two years. However, it is heavy and it takes a few moments for the oil to soak in. That is the trade of for using only the zinc as a sun block - they can only make its particles so small, so it creates a thicker product. But it does not leave a white film. One neds to apply very little - I will squeeze some into my palm and then pat it on with my finger tips, to spread it lightly.
Alas, as of this year even this product has a small fume that irritates my respiratory system. But I am overly sensitive to things, so I still recommend it to everyone else. The sun protection is great and lasts many hours.
be sure to go to the website for the Environmental Working Group - they ar the folks who conducted the independent study of over 1000 sunscreens, only to find that over 80% on the market do not supply the UV protection that their label claims. They also rate the chemical toxicity level of each product. [...] This product has one of the best overall ratings - low toxicity and high UV blockage.
on July 15, 2008
Im out in the sun a lot, and I've been using conventional sunscreen (banana boat etc.) but after reading about the various harmful chemicals in these, I did some research and decided on this all natural sunscreen. Expensive, but worth it for safe protection right? After my first day of using this all I can say is WOW. I got absolutely FRIED by the sun after just a few hours (including a re-application of this stuff). I know I applied enough because I could feel and see it on my skin, the stuff is really sticky. It just did nothing to block the sun, and I mean nothing. It honestly seems as if this stuff enhanced my burn. So I get home and take a shower, after literally laughing about how bad my burn looked, and the stuff is so sticky it won't wash off! So not only did it not work, you can't get rid of it! I feel deceived (this stuff was expensive!), but at the same time I can't help but laugh at how abominably awful this product is. I'm hoping I can return it. They should sell this stuff in practical joke shops.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 3, 2009
I followed the directions on this product (basically "don't apply too much"), and it performed beautifully for me. I find it far less waxy than similar products, so it's far more comfortable in humid weather. I do find it hard to remove, though that's true for all sunscreens in my experience. (I'd rather have it linger at the surface anyway!) But I find that Desert Essences Tea Tree face wash works beautifully to remove it. It's a gentle soap; I put it on with a loofa, wait 1 min, and rinse it off. Voila--my skin is back to normal!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 21, 2013
I am an elementary school PE instructor in California so I must use sunscreen every day. With frequent use, regular sunscreens left my skin dry and flaky and caused breakouts on my face. And after reading reviews on the Skin Deep cosmetic safety database I wondered if I was doing my skin more harm than good, so I decided to switch to a more natural product.

UV Natural is like no other sunscreen I have used and it took a little getting used to. It is thick and greasy/oily and contains zinc (an active ingredient that is actually safe) so it gives skin a white hue. But it provides great, long lasting protection and leaves my skin feeling moisturized and healthy even after use for days and weeks on end. It can be hard to wash off with regular soap but I my shampoo takes it right off. No one else in my family likes it, but they don't have to wear sunscreen on a daily basis and suffer the harsh effects of regular use. For me, I love the stuff and don't think I could to my job without it.
on June 12, 2010
I have been using only this sunscream for years and have never gotten sunburned. I had repeated Mohs surgeries for skin cancer before I began using this cream. It protects my skin. My Dermatologist recommended it and I love it. I love that it is Zinc oxide, which is the white cream that lifeguards put on their nose. Zinc is good for me. I do put on a thick layer, every day in the sun, but it evens out my complexion and it lasts all day. I am clearing brush on my parents' land and even in the hot Sacramento sun do not get burned. It love that it is all natural- grapeseed oil. I did not use the UV Sport Natural, which is sticky indeed and has Sandalwood which I do not care for. Folks might like to try just this plain UV Natural instead. I love this product. It is expensive but one tube lasts all season. I keep some in a smaller container for trips.