5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile router for programmers and networking experts
This is the awaited follow-on of the EdgeRouter Lite (which I reviewed earlier). As of this writing, Ubiquiti hasn't packaged the POE router with a 48V power supply (necessary for "standard" 48V POE), but Ubiquiti forum comments suggest that the Meanwell GS60A48-P1J does the job (available on amazon.com, as well as elsewhere at somewhat less cost).

The same day...
Published 12 months ago by ChrisF

3.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive router for CLI enthusiasts
TWC surprised me for the first time in 11 years since I have service from them and gave my solid bump in speed for the same price - I went from 30/5 to 200/10Mbit. Since my old venerable ASA5505 has 100Mbit ports only (and it is really not a router but rather security appliance with some routing), it was time to start looking for something faster.

I did some...
Published 3 months ago by S.M.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile router for programmers and networking experts, September 26, 2013
ChrisF (Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ubiquiti Networks - ERPOE-5 - EdgeRouter POE 24VDC 2.5A Power Adapter (Electronics)

The same day it arrived, I configured and installed the EdgeRouter POE to replace my existing Cisco home gateway, but not the two external POE power supplies needed for an IP telephone and a wireless Access Point. Today, I received the Meanwell power supply and installed that, finally achieving the goal of eliminating a clutter of extra adapters and cables. Everything is working great.

Note that not all LAN ports on the EdgeRouter POE are created equal. Three of them (eth2-eth3-eth4) can be configured as a fast hardware switch. In principle, this switch could be grouped using a software bridge to allow all your LAN ports to reside on the same subnet. It turns out that the current version of EdgeMax, v1.2.0, has an issue that prevents that particular configuration from working. So I'm running with one WAN port, the three LAN ports as a switch on one local subnet, and the remaining LAN port on a different local subnet. Although this setup is not a handicap in my setup (the outlying LAN port just has the IP telephone), it might bother you, for example, if you were trying to run Windows Home Group clients on all four LAN ports. Ubiquiti reports that they are aware of, and working on this issue.

Another ongoing learning activity for me with this router will be setting up wide area IPV6 connectivity. Comcast requires support of Prefix Delegation, which is apparently still a work-in-progress for the firmware. It will be interesting following that work, and in the meantime, maybe getting my 6to4 Hurricane Electric tunnel back up and running.

*** UPDATE 12-Mar-2014 ***
Since my original review the unit has continued to perform trouble-free. There have been two operating software updates since then, the first of which corrected the software bridge issue mentioned. During this time, I learned a lot about the Vyatta-based software and it was straightforward to configure the 6to4 tunnel. More recently, I focused on getting the Comcast native IPv6 service running, since the router software includes the required dhcpv6 client package albeit not activated. Now, after some troubleshooting, Comcast native IPv6 is running here (details posted on the community.ubnt.com site).

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not easily impressed!, November 21, 2013
My first Ubiquiti product and arguably the best router I have ever owned. When Ubiquiti brought on a few Vyatta Engineers after Brocade's purchase of Vyatta I was intrigued. Software defined networking is the new rage and Vyatta was my go to network operating system. EdgeOS was born as a result, which at it's core is Vyatta re-branded and reinvented. When paired with the fantastic hardware that Ubiquiti is known for you have the EdgeRouter. With quality hardware and robust software this is a match made in heaven.

There are a host of features that you won't find in other options at this price range on the market. You'll find basic and advanced features ranging from IPv4/v6 addressing/routing, DHCP client and server, VLANs Static routes, OSPF, RIP, BGP, Firewall (ACL-based and zone-based), NAT, QoS, VPN: IPsec, L2TP, OpenVPN, PPTP client and server; PPPoE client and server, bridging, bonding, GRE, VRRP, Dynamic DNS, DNS forwarding, DHCP relay....blah blah blah. Although most of the features are not accessible at this time via the GUI, the most common ones that are manageable via the GUI are: DHCP, NAT, Firewall, OSFP, PPOPE, Routing, DNS, certain aspects of VPN and a few other things. I'll include a large list of the main features that are a part of EdgeOS at the end of this review, most of which are accessible through the command line.

The Ubiquiti community is alive and thriving. Their forums are buzzing with activity and people are ready to answer questions and help you. By default the system is not configured, but don't worry for those that aren't skilled with the command line there is a setup wizard that configures your device for a commonly used setup taht has a WAN port, LAN ports and basic firewall and NAT. Once you log in to your router it's literally three or four mouse clicks to get the basic config up and running. If you struggle with things don't panic, just ask for help in the forums.

As for the advanced features; they are definitely for the Command line savvy, although those without skill in this area can use community provided config files to add functionality. One of the newest feature they are adding in v1.4 of EdgeOS is a way for community members to create and share their own custom GUI features. Basically you'll be able to add GUI level access to features that would normally only be accessible via the command line. Once the community gets it's hands on this expect more accessibility for users that don't know their way around the command line.

As other reviewers have stated be sure you know what voltage your POE devices support. This does ship with a 24v adapter because that is what Ubiquiti hardware is spec'd for, although the industry standard is 48v. Don't damage your equipment by using the wrong power.

I'll update this review once I've tested more features and run it through it's paces.

Pros:

1. Outstanding hardware (build quality) and software (capabilities) which make for phenomenal performance all around.
2. Lots of features that you won't find even close to this price range when looking at other options.
3. Decent online documentation in forum and wiki/knowledge-base.
4. Basic setup wizard for those that want something quick to get them up and going, while they learn more.
5. Has a an active community behind it that is ready to help others find their way around the product.
6. Power over Ethernet at this price is a steal, especially with everything else you're getting.
7. Active software development, adding new features and enhancing existing ones.
8. Basic live port level monitoring in the GUI that shows outgoing and incoming traffic.
9. Huge list of features that most people won't use but are available if needed.

Cons:
1. Not yet very accessible for non CLI oriented people, (at the time of this review).
2. Doesn't come with stock configuration, most advanced users don't care, but for those learning this is an obstacle.
3. Currently has limited GUI access to advanced feature, but most users that will use these features know how to use CLI.
4. Doesn't come with a 48v power supply, so if you use non Ubiquiti hardware get a 48v power supply.
5. Just an FYI: UPnP support is a little buggy right now, as of v1.3 of EdgeOS. They will eventually fix this.

****The longer list of Feature is as follows****

Interface/Encapsulation Ethernet:
802.1q VLAN, PPPoE, GRE,IP in IP, Bridging, Bonding (802.3ad)

Addressing:
Static IPv4/IPv6 Addressing, DHCP/DHCPv6

Routing Static Routes:
OSPF/OSPFv3, RIP/RIPng, BGP (with IPv6 Support), IGMP Proxy

Security:
ACL-Based Firewall, Zone-Based Firewall, NAT

VPN:
IPSec Site-to-Site and Remote Access, OpenVPN Site to Site and Remote Access, PPTP Remote Access, L2TP Remote Access, PPTP Client

Services:
DHCP/DHCPv6 Server, DHCP/DHCPv6 Relay, Dynamic DNS, DNS Forwarding, VRRP, RADIUS Client, Web Caching, PPPoE Server

QoS:
FIFO, Stochastic Fairness Queueing, Random Early Detection, Token Bucket Filter, Deficit Round Robin, Hierarchical Token Bucket, Ingress Policing

Management:
Web UI, CLI (Console, SSH, Telnet), SNMP, NetFlow, LLDP, NTP, UBNT Discovery Protocol, Logging

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm just sayin...., March 9, 2014
runlevel6 (ALBUQUERQUE, NM, US) - See all my reviews
Let me preface by saying that I am a network administrator for an enterprise with offices in different states...and am no stranger to Cisco, but.... Years ago we began ditching Cisco routers (back when Vyatta was around v4.x to v5.0) after testing Vyatta. Our enterprise is now fully Vyatta based routing. The HQ runs Vyatta (now Brocade) on a 16 port Dell R710 server and other offices were outfitted with old reclaimed 1U servers running Vyatta (which was overkill...but free)...

Now that Ubiquiti has released these little gems, all remote sites are being outfitted with them...and they run flawlessly with our Core Vyatta (Brocade) router and OpenVPN.

The bottom line is that this router really fits a niche and you need to think of it in a business perspective:

It is completely true that the GUI is not going to do everything you need it to do (if you have complex configurations)...but this is Vyatta...in other words: The Command Line is not like looking at some Cisco-esque jibberrish which is meaningless to someone that has not been through Cisco Academy...It's Vyatta! The configurations are intuitive to read and programming is easy to learn...Furthermore, Vyatta has done an excellent job with documentation and examples, and the forums are helpful.

It has proven so easy to learn and reliable I had no issues moving away from Cisco...If you have any background in networking, subnetting, layer 3 protocols, tunneling, etc. you should not have any problem learning these things.

I'm just sayin...enterprise class functionality in a $175 box.

5.0 out of 5 stars First router for my home that I've never had to reboot, December 14, 2013
While this is overkill for many homes, in these days of everything having a network connection, it's probably not overkill for many homes. I paired this with a 3 pack of the Ubiquiti wifi units to replace my home wifi router which was needing to be rebooted at least once a week just as the ones before it needed. I gave up on the consumer grade units and went pro.

While this was not as easy to configure as a residential unit and did take some research, there was a great community of people available online to help and the basic wizard gets you online with a standard home configuration quite quickly. I'd recommend these to anybody willing to put the work into having a solid home network.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seriously good, if you seriously like command line interfaces, February 16, 2014
This things is amazing. The small, cheap, ER PoE-5 can do just about everything I ever wanted a home or small business router to do (probably even more). That said, the GUI is very limited. Even moderately complicated configurations require command line knowledge. Picking through Ubiquiti's site for documentation can be tedious. Fortunately, the operating system, EdgeOS, is a customized version of Vyatta and Brocade provides excellent documentation for that platform.

My only real concern is EdgeOS. It's based on an older branch of Vyatta and is falling behind somewhat in terms of feature support. My fear is that Ubiquiti will not be equal to the task of keeping the OS current. For example, Ubiquiti has yet to release an update that supports VTIs (virtual tunnel interfaces for IPSec VPNs). Vyatta on the other hand has provided this functionality for over a year.

One final issue is the 24V power adapter shipped with this unit. It turns out that the WiFi access points I wanted to use in conjunction with the ER PoE-5 require 48 volts for PoE. The unit supports both 24 and 48 volt power adapters, but finding a compatible 48 volt power adapter takes time and adds cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great router, but not for your average consumer., July 28, 2014
Excellent router. Extremely flexible setup compared to any other consumer priced router. Does everything that I needed it to do and more. This is probably as future proof a router as you can get at this price point. The one caveat is that this is NOT a router for your average consumer or even a tech savvy one. You almost need to be professional network engineer to set it up and anyone with a crippling fear of the command line should stay away since most of the advanced features require it. However if you're comfortable with command line there are plenty of guides online to help with the setup.

Bottom line, if you can identify yourself as a computer geek this is the router for you.

P.S. My favorite feature is the ability to setup the entire by editing and loading a simple text file.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't forget to update the firmware right after your first "log in" to the router. before you set anything up., August 4, 2014
Let me start by saying I am a very technical person. I have very basic networking knowledge though. I just spent 6 of the most frustrating hours trying to set this router up with my home network and a UniFi access point.

I then realized, I forgot to update the firmware. My router was running 1.2. The most up to date version of the firmware is 1.5. There are some huge changes in the 3 updates they have produced. The biggest one is the freaking setup wizard. Once I had the firmware up to date it only took me minutes to set up my router and AP and I was back to surfing youtube.

So far Excellent product, and after you update the firmware (which is stupidly simple) setup is a breeze. Just make sure you update the freaking firmware first. It will save you hours of frustration.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ubiquiti makes high quality for budget minded folks, December 11, 2013
I finally moved from Airports, D-Links and Netgears to something that actually has interfaces to configure. This isn't for the typical home user. However, I will say google SOHO EdgeMax Configurations and there are Ubiquity power users who put together configurations to get you up and running in less than 10 minutes.

I noticed my internal lan traffic to servers seemed to speed up and be much more responsive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very powerful, but maybe not for the casual techie, August 14, 2014
I've recently moved to a more rural area where having dual WAN is a necessity. As a full-time remote worker, I can't afford downtime. I've been through a lot of consumer-grade routers and almost all of them are crap. This is the first time I've had a router that just works.

Pros:
- Insanely powerful. I'm beginning to think there's little this box can't do. It's also never hiccuped at any load I've tossed at it.
- Great support community. Ubiquiti's forums and KB are a wealth of information and their employees will regularly build config files for users.
- Easy setup for a basic dual WAN configuration. The wizard included in the 1.5 firmware makes setup a 20-second affair.

Cons:
- This baby runs hot. Give it some breathing room and ventilation and don't plan to stack anything on or under it.
- High learning curve for anyone who doesn't have some network familiarity and is comfortable with the command line. The GUI can accomplish most of what a casual dual WAN user would want to do, but most of the more advanced features require SSH access for now.

To be frank, I don't think there's a product that can touch this at this price range. Network pros will feel right at home, but so will more casual users who need a basic setup.

4.0 out of 5 stars Setup is challenging, but the product is fantastic., May 28, 2014
Rhy Mednick "Rhy" (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
About my network -
I am using this at home. I have a wired network with about 6 computers or devices (Xbox, etc.) attached. Additionally, I have two UniFi AP Enterprise wireless adapters that use the PoE functionality of the router. At any point in time, I have 2-8 wireless devices connected as well. I have a gigabit connection to the Internet. I installed this router because the consumer routers I have been using struggle with the gigabit Internet connection, even when they explicitly claim to work with it. The previous routers had the tendency to crash or overheat and die. I found one that works, but it throttled the link to the Internet at 100 Mbps when using NAT (which is always, in my case).

My networking background -
I've been setting up complicated home networks for myself and family for more than 10 years but I don't have any formal networking experience and don't always understand what I'm doing. Still, I'm a pretty technical guy.

The experience I had setting this router up -
I went through the quick setup guide to install the hardware and there were no issues. I logged on to the admin page for the router, expecting to see what I usually saw when I used other routers. What I saw was almost completely incomprehensible to me and I was completely lost. I had no idea how to set it up or configure it. That's how it is with this router, you start with an empty slate and you need to tell it how you want it to function. You specify things like routing for each of the ports, subnets, DHCP servers (yes, you can define multiple), etc.
I found tutorials on the web but when I tried to follow them I kept setting something wrong and (I suspect) reassigning the management port to another function. This had the effect of preventing me from managing the router so I kept having to perform a hard-reset on it just to get back in. After starting over a few times, I noticed that there was an upgrade available to the router software. I downloaded and installed it. This upgraded the software from v1.2 to v1.41. This made all the difference. In the new software they have a "wizard" tab that will allow you to configure the router for use as most consumer routers are used (as a DHCP server and gateway to the Internet for the computers on that network) and completely hid the complexity of what it was doing behind the scenes. Activating PoE for the ports that were connected to the UniFi adapters was an extra step, but by then I'd already figured out how to do that and the software was starting to feel more intuitive because of time I was spending fiddling around with it.

Living with it -
This router is fast and stable. I've been using it for several days and haven't had any problems. Sure, it's still early, but everything on the network is working better. The connections are reliable and even with my heavy usage I never notice any load-related issues. I'm looking forward to setting up guest networks with limited permissions. Holiday weekend project, perhaps.

The big lesson from this adventure - ** UPGRADE THE FIRMWARE IMMEDIATELY **

If this had shipped with the "wizard" functionality, I'd happily give this a 5-star review. Without that functionality, this router is not useful to most home users (not the intended audience, but the lines between home and office are blurring) and that's why I only gave it 4. So far, I'm really impressed with Ubiquiti products.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›