Ubiquiti Networks UniFi UAP-PRO Enterprise WiFi System
Price:$205.89 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on March 24, 2013
Verified Purchase
I replaced two consumer APs with one of these for my house and couldn't be happier. This AP went on the ceiling in the middle of my house and provides the same or better coverage than the two APs at opposite ends of my house. The multiple SSIDs allows me to run a guest wireless network separate from the network I use for my devices. The product looks nice on my ceiling, like a flat smoke detector, although the diameter is a little larger. The LED can be turned off to make it even less noticeable.

The product is really aimed at enterprise deployments where there are many APs installed at once (hotels, restaurants, schools, etc.) As such, it requires controller software installed on a separate computer to configure the AP instead of logging directly into the device to manage it. This wasn't a problem for me (I already had a Debian server I could use) but could be annoying to some. The controller does not need to run all the time unless you want to use the guest portal (e.g., if you want your guests to accept terms and conditions before using the network or want to charge them).

The 5 GHz radio is not as strong as the 2.4 GHz radio, so only a few devices in my house actually connect at 5 GHz. I get slightly better performance when connected to the 5 GHz radio, but not a huge difference. Those that are trying to save money and don't absolutely need 5 GHz might want to consider the non-PRO version of this product.

One last word of warning for home users considering this: this is just an access point. It just connects your wireless devices to your network. It does NOT provide other services like a typical consumer router does like DHCP, DNS, or a firewall. You will need a separate router on your network.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 4, 2012
Verified Purchase
At $250 vs $90 for the no Pro version, it has 5GHz and it also uses standard Power on Ethernet. The software is a big funky in the way it works but once you install it on your computer (I use the Mac version), it is decently easy to figure out. The nicest thing is that it has RANGE. The 2.4GHz signal is very strong and the 5GHz works decently well. Also, I got two, so the handoff between the upstairs and downstairs one works like a charm.

It has been very reliable serving Mac, PCs and iPhones. Performance has been very good as well. The biggest thing to figure out is the software configuration. This is designed for enterprise or professional Wifi network operation, so it took some time to figure out how to configure wide band (I'm getting 150Mbps from 2.4 GHz and 300Mbps from 5GHz!). But wandering through the various Ubiquiti sites is the answer.

It doesn't crash (like the various D-link and Linksys boxes I've uses in the past) at least so far. Main problem I've had is that after a power failure, the thing glowed correctly (a bright blue), but need to be restarted to work correctly.

Overall, for most applications, I'd say at the home the $90 or so regular EAP is a no brainer. No more dropouts and losses.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 22, 2014
Verified Purchase
I've installed this in on the ceiling of my 1st floor hallway, and it looks/works great. There is one issue that has caused me to lower the rating: it makes excessive noise for some reason. When the house is quiet, I can easily hear it from 15 feet away during heavy use. It sounds like a computer hard drive.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 13, 2015
Verified Purchase
Wow! These are great and affordable WiFi systems. I have extensive experience with everything from cheap $20 off-brand APs up to mid five-figure large scale "enterprise" Cisco systems and these UniFi's are the real deal. I've noticed better range on these than other APs including $1000 cisco APs with external antenna. Since output power is regulated, I'm assuming they just have better and more appropriate antenna designs. Whatever the case, these have replaced other APs that couldn't even cover all of a single floor and now they cover that whole floor plus most of adjoining floors. These are controller based like higher-end systems, but the controller is a free downloadable Java app you load on a workstation or server.

I had no issue getting that up and running and installing two APs when I tested this system at home (it stayed -- was so much better). I suggest you create a DNS A record for unifi.yourlocaldomain.local pointing to the IP of the machine running the Java controller. This makes the controller discover new APs instantly. Online info stated to use CNAME DNS records which didn't work as well for me for whatever reason (Windows environments).

There are some differences between the standard version which is around $80 and the pro version which is around $200. The Pro version gives you:
-802.11 a (in addition to b/g/n)
-dual band (5Ghz in addition to 2.4Ghz)
-gigabit wired ethernet port (standard is 10/100)
-PoE standard -- the regular version uses nonstandard 24V PoE so you have to use their (supplied) injector. The Pro uses standard 48V PoE (802.3af) so it'll work with most any PoE switch (48V injector also supplied)
-Gigabit pass-thru port -- very useful if using PoE switches in a place without dedicated runs for APs
on March 1, 2014
Verified Purchase
Quick comparison between the UAP and the UAP-PRO: The main difference between the UAP-PRO and the regular UAP (apart from the price) is that the PRO comes with a second radio (5Ghz band) and can handle more users per device when evenly distributed between the two radios. In addition to this the PRO works with standard 48v PoE and has two gigabit ethernet ports (instead of a single 100Mbit).

I've been reading everything I can about wireless access points and the various manufacturers over the past couple of months as I needed to upgrade our wireless network in the office.

Prior to this we were making do with a couple of residential wireless routers, which individually were top of their line (when purchased), but when trying to support a network of business users the residential routers really started to buckle under the pressure as more and more devices came online.

Generally with any wireless access point you can expect to cope with around 20-ish users before the quality of service drops below useable levels. The exact number depends on so many variables and concessions that it's not feasible to give hard and fast numbers. But be aware that even if a access point says it can handle 500 connections at once, it's very unlikely that those devices will get usable throughput if they're doing any more than idling.

With our residential routers it was difficult to do the following:

- Monitor quality of signal
- Monitor number of users using wifi
- Monitor number of users per access point
- Configure access points / upgrade software

All of the above have now been resolved for me by deploying a pair of UAP-PRO access points. The Ubiquiti free central control software allows me to have instant visibility into the state of my wireless network, how many users are connected, what their signal strength looks like, what their capabilities are, and to which access points they are connected.

In general I'm extremely happy with the quality of the network I've been able to assemble with the UAP-PRO devices for less than the price of a single true enterprise access point (not even considering the price that we'd need to spend on a controller, too).

I do have a few criticisms of the UAP-PRO / Ubiquiti Unifi networking product, however:

- The controller software, while great, can be a little funky to navigate and find the settings you want to change.

- Just about any change to do with the radios, SSIDs, and wireless network can immediately cause all access points to restart to reconfigure, without any sort of prompt to warn you it's about to happen. It makes fiddling with the controller software a little hazardous during the working day. Now, I know this should be configured in a lab environment ahead of time, but measuring the quality of the network when under load and tweaking the settings to experiment is difficult to simulate in a small office environment.

- The Zero-Handoff functionality (still in beta, using 3.1.9 here) worked ok for us, but at the cost of a much less reliable connection. I'm not going to 100% blame the hardware as we have a lot of interference in our office space, and when running zero-handoff all access points have to run on the same channel so were likely interfering with each other as well as the neighboring noise. ZH was nice to balance the load on the access points, as without it you're left to the devices picking an AP and roaming when the feel like it, which can leave more devices than desired connected to the first access point they see when entering the building.

Aside from the above I'm having a few issues with odd spikes of noise / loss of signal, but I'm going to blame this on interference within our environment and not on these devices.

Despite the problems mentioned above I'm happy with this product and think it provides great value for money. If you need more robust stats, more robust controls, and more enterprise management features, then you may want to look elsewhere, but you will pay a LOT more for those features.
on August 25, 2013
Verified Purchase
I have a large house and tired of WIFI routers in the market or their bridging solutions. After speaking with some of my customer's IT shops, they recommended this given its coverage, performance and simplicity. My total install time was less than 10 minutes and configuring the device was far less than than if I exclude having to install the software. I also have an AP upstairs and provides seemless transition as my family and guest move throughout the house with their devices. Worth every penny!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 3, 2013
Verified Purchase
The best access pointed I've ever used. It is a bit different than most devices, in that the management software runs on a computer, not on the device itself. You can run the management console on Windows, Mac or Linux and then access it with a browser. You only need to run the software when making changes. Setup of new APs is very simple. Firmware update is easy: update the management software and then one click per device.

The range and speed of this unit is by far the best I've ever seen. Over Thanksgiving, we had 10 or more wireless devices using it and it never even slowed down. Good coverage in every part of the house.

I was testing one of these for a customer. Am now saving up to buy one for my own use.
on November 4, 2014
I purchased this AP to increase the range of WiFi at my residence for all of my devices which are connected through to a pfSense server acting as my router and firewall. The AP was a little tricky to setup as it had its own Windows application to locate and configure the device. The software took a little getting used to, and many times it had difficulty locating my device, though this is likely due to the fact that I run different subnets (standard, guest, VPN, etc.) through a Cisco Smart switch using VLAN. Personally, I prefer that devices have their own HTTP configuration page (ala most consumer routers, small business switches), as I believe I would have had less connection-related trouble-shooting issues.

Regardless, the range this AP offers is excellent and covered my house very well. No issues there. The mounting hardware came included, so again, no issue in placing the device either. After installing the software and trouble-shooting the connection issues, I updated the firmware and was good to go. Unfortunately though, it was not to be. After about a week of usage the device began emitting an audible noise, something that I could only describe as sounding like a hard drive in the midst of mechanical failure, or that of a fan blade very slightly rubbing up against plastic at high RPM (not a high pitched noise though, but softer). This sound only appears to occur while the device is configured / connected and a wireless client is transmitting large amounts of data (something that I do quite often, even wirelessly). I originally thought it was my FreeNAS fileserver's HDD failing, but after standing approx. 3 feet from the AP, I found the sound was coming from the device itself. My online review research at the time did not uncover this issue but after searching specifically for this problem it appears to me that it had started showing up around 2012...perhaps my device is that of an older stock or release. I do not know if this issue has been addressed in future revisions. In either case, I decided to return the item. Due to the above audible issue and the Windows application being the only method of configuration available, I opted to proceed down a different route. I'm using an RT-N66U as my WiFi AP passed through to the pfSense box in the mean time, and it is working well...and it doesn't make a sound! :)

If you plan to deploy the device in an environment where this kind of noise would not be an issue (as it would not be heard over other devices), then you may be able to write this problem off as a non-issue. If you plan to place this AP in a library, hotel, etc. where the background noise level is low or virtually nill, then evaluate your purchase carefully. Do your own research and Google "unifi wifi ap noise" and decide for yourself.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 24, 2012
Verified Purchase
Easy to install and set up -- works super well under an 11,000 sq ft metal roof!
Can be set up for many variations of allowability including "hotel style" tracking,
allows custom coverage template for your own building/facility blueprint.
on May 17, 2014
Verified Purchase
I am super happy with robustness. After I upgraded my home network with Ubiquiti products (UniFi, EdgeMax, ToughSwitch) i never has to manage or reboot anything for the last six months (different story with Linksys E-4200 and net gearswitches). Everything works fast and smooth. But only 3 start for extreme noise from UniFi. During the night big file transfer in a quite home is very unpleasant. It is like loud electric static sound. You can google for this issue.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations