5.0 out of 5 stars The best 2.4Ghz 802.11n Access Point Money Can Buy
Published on May 16, 2012 by M. Anderson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product on the surface, non-existent support
Published 17 months ago by Tech Guy

5.0 out of 5 stars The best 2.4Ghz 802.11n Access Point Money Can Buy, May 16, 2012
M. Anderson (Santa Ana, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Ubiquiti Networks UniFi AP Enterprise WiFi System (Personal Computers)
This is a 802.11n Wireless Access Point. It is used to provide Wifi in a home or office. The unit is aesthetically beautiful, and could easily pass for a high end smoke detector. It includes a single LED Ring light that shows whether the unit is offline or online, and can be mounted on the wall or on the ceiling. The LED can be disabled if you need to. Power is delivered to the unit using the Ethernet cable, and a Power Over Ethernet Injector is included in the box.

I've tested a number of Wifi access points and routers over the years from Linksys and Netgear, and this is, by far, my favorite. Here's why:

1. Range: The range on these things is incredible. With Linksys and Netgear APs, I'd have trouble covering my whole house. This covers my entire house on LOW POWER.

2. Adjustable Power: You can adjust the power level from 1db through 20db. A Long Range version is available that can go up to 27db.

Note: A bug in the firmware allows you to set the power output at 0 db, but this appears to cause it to default to 20db.

3. Linking: You can buy and link as many of these devices as you want. There's no limit to the number of AP's that can be linked via Ethernet cable. On top of that, each Unifi that is plugged into Ethernet can be extended by FOUR Unifis that are not plugged into an Ethernet cable, by wirelessly repeating the signal.

4. More Linking: In addition, a Unifi that is linked wirelessly can also have its ethernet port be used to extend your network via wires. Theoretically, you could plug in another Unifi to the Wired port, add it to your network and then link up to four more to that new Unifi wirelessly, and carry on the chain forever.

5. Easy to configure: The Unifi includes a disk with software, but you're better off downloading the latest version off Ubiquiti's website. That way, you'll get the latest firmware. When you run the software, it starts a web-server on your computer, and you then use your internet browser to access the configuration screen. The server will detect every Unifi that is plugged into your network and automatically configure them to operate using the same SSID and security settings, and to select the best channel for their location. You can then manually override any settings if you like on a system-wide basis or a per unit basis.

If you want to configure a Unifi for wireless linking, you have to plug it in via ethernet first and adopt it, and then unplug it from the ethernet connection and wait until it goes into Isolated Mode, and then you can link wirelessly it to one of the units that are plugged in to your ethernet connection. There's a video on Ubiquiti's web-site that explains everything. Just Google "Unifi FAQ" and you'll find the page that links to it.

6. Support for advanced features: Among other things, the Unifi software allows you to configure a Guest Network that is isolated from your own network. It can use its own network name (SSID) and its own security settings/password. Users who connect to it won't be able to connect to any of your internal devices. There is also a whole host of tools to allow you to monitor who is using your network, for how long, with how much data, etc., and you can block specific users as well.

Once you configure the above features, you can shut down the server software, and the units will continue operating without the need for a server.

You can also create a captive portal for guests, so that they have to enter a password or accept terms and conditions. However, for this to work, you have to leave the Unifi server software running on a Windows Computer 24/7.

7. Remote management: Using a special tool that comes with the server software (called the inform tool), you can set a Unifi to get its configuration information from a remote Unifi server. This will allow you to manage a fleet of Unifi units over the internet.

8. Long Range and Outdoor units available: Ubiquiti also has a Long Range version available for about $15 more, and an outdoor unit that is weatherproof for about $15 more than that. Like all other Unifi products, they can all be configured from the same User Interface, and each wired Unifi can support four Wireless Unifi's that repeat the signal.

---

The only trouble that I had setting up the unit related to Windows Firewall. The current version of the software fails to properly configure the Windows Firewall to allow the server to access the Unifi units residing on a network which you have labelled as "Private" in Windows Firewall. You can resolve this problem by going to the control panel in Window, selecting "Windows Firewall," clicking on "Allow a Program or feature through Windows Firewall," and then finding the entry for the Ubiquiti software and enabling it on a Private and Public Network. You might also need to do the same for Java.

Or you can disable Windows Firewall while you're configuring and then enable it later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great hardware, non-intuitive software..., December 7, 2012
Barring future issues (e.g., see my EnGenius EAP9550 review), I LOVE this access point (AP)!

The hardware so far appears to be solid and then some. Coverage is insane; if you're considering the long range model instead of this one, I'd recommend that you start here first.

The software is unbelievably powerful and is clearly designed to control dozens or even hundreds of these APs - but as noted by most of the other posters, getting the software to work and then initially communicate with a new AP is challenging.

A couple notes, because some product points aren't necessarily clear from the product description:

First, this IS a standard stand-alone access point; you don't need to purchase any other hardware or software to make this thing work on your network. This is ONLY an access point; it doesn't provide routing, DNS, or DHCP functionality. This AP is for adding wireless coverage to your existing wired network.

In the box is the AP, a ceiling-mount bracket, a wall-mount bracket, a POE adapter, a power cord, a bag of screws, a quick-start guide, and a CD. It includes no user manual or network cable (bear in mind that it's intended to be installed on a wall or on a ceiling at a point to which you will presumably need to run long cable).

This AP will ONLY accept power over Ethernet (and as noted in several other reviews, is not standards-compliant); the AP presents ONLY a single RJ45 port (no power port, no USB port, ONLY a single network port). The package includes a 2-port POE adapter and a power cord; to power AND network this thing, you (A) insert a cable between the AP and the adapter, (B) insert a cable between the adapter and your network, and (C) run the power cord from the adapter to a power source (UPS, power strip, wall socket, what-have-you). I installed this thing in my living room where I have run CAT-5, but I put together the adapter and misc cabling in the basement. That is, the fact that it's not standards-compliant wasn't a huge deal for me, and it probably won't be for you either.

Next, the AP *must* initially pull its IP address via DHCP, so don't just run the network cable into your laptop or workstation and expect to be able to talk to the device.

Along those same lines, you *must* manage the AP with the UniFi Java server software; don't just launch your browser and expect to be able to talk to some magic interface on the AP.

For reasons that aren't clear to me, for the initial setup, if my laptop was pulling an IP via DHCP, it couldn't see the factory-configured AP; to get things working, I had to plug the AP into my network, let it pull its IP, and then set my laptop to a static IP on the same network. Once I did that, the configuration "just worked", even after changing my laptop adapter back to DHCP.

To configure a new AP after the initial software setup (during which I absolutely could not detect the AP), you need to start two pieces of software: the management software AND a discovery tool. The discovery tool tells the management software that there's AP it needs to configure.

After switching to the management software, and before clicking the "Adopt" button, be sure that you click the configuration tab on the right side of the dialogue and set your network configuration correctly. The system will default to 192.168.0/24, and my first go around left me with an AP that I couldn't reach from my 192.168.3/24 network.

If the ring light is flashing, the AP is busy doing something like rebooting or reconfiguring; if it's solid orange, you *should* be able to talk to it with the management software. Once the AP is fully configured (even with the wrong network parameters), the ring light will turn green.

In summary, given the price and what this hardware is, and the flexibility of the software once it's working correctly, this is an exceptional value. Unfortunately, not everybody will have the time or the ability to work through the initial setup.

2013/01/06: Updated to clarify a couple points. I would also add - as noted in the dialogue in the comments - that as of this writing, this AP has been functioning flawlessly for me for over a month. If you have the fortitude to slog through the setup, I really can't recommend this hardware highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive and highly recommended but could be difficult for non-technical beginners., July 26, 2013
I'm going to break this review down in segments so bear with me.

~Beginners/Non Techies beware: This is an IT Professional product. I'm not sure this would be easy for someone who isn't "Techy" to setup. You must install the UniFi software on a computer to "provision" the Access Point. Once you setup the software with which SSID's Pass codes, etc.. etc.. you bring the AP into the fold by adopting it. It is a very different concept from just logging into the AP and setting it up directly like mass consumer APs. Once adopted you can make all the changes necessary. There is no easy mode wizard like most consumer grade APs.

~Price: I have installed hundreds of Access Points for the home as well as office environment. The real benefit of this product is the price. Considering what you get (the UniFi software, PoE Adapter, Power (range), and Aesthetics) its a great buy. They actually describe it as "disruptive pricing" compared to similar AP's for IT Professionals. Similar functioning AP's for the IT Industry usually run $250 to $400 dollars (think Ruckus or high end Cisco) but do benefit from dedicated hardware controlling (this is software controlled).

~Aesthetics: This thing looks great, it comes with a mounting bracket and you can install it on a ceiling or wall. At my home I decided to install it on the ceiling. You can turn off the green ring of light using the software, but my wife and I decided to leave it on because of how attractive it looks. It will be flush with the wall/ceiling if you mount it and there will be no unattractive wires if you run the network cable through the wall/ceiling. Using the PoE brick, you can install that near your switch/router and simply run 1 network cable to this thing. It will power it and provide data simplifying placement (no required electrical outlet).

~Range: This particular model is rated for about 400ft. You always have to keep in mind the surroundings of where it will be placed. Wireless signals degrade quickly through a lot of walls, insulation, brick, especially metal buildings. I have found that the best way to get the most range is mount it high and in clear view of your most important areas. Our house is 1500 sq ft and I have WiFi inside and outside of my house both front and back yard. Using the software and the schematics of my home I mounted it directly in the center of the house. If you are looking for more range, consider buying the UAP-LR (LR for Long Range) which has a higher power amplifier and is rated for 600ft.

~Software: The UniFi Controller software is definitely the secret weapon Ubiquiti has for making these so inexpensive. It comes with a CD and the software is very small in terms of footprint. It is Non-Dedicated which means you only need to use it to setup the AP then the access point will operate autonomously. This means the computer running the software does not have to be on all the time for the AP to work. If you are like me and enjoy statistics the software will track the devices connected, how much data they are using UP/DOWN and allows you to see Pie Charts/Graphs. The list goes on and on for what it all does but here are some key things I like about it: Block Devices (with a click), Force devices to reconnect, Guest Network, Up to 4 SSID's per AP, One SSID for Several AP's with device hand off.

~Closing: This is an IT / Office WiFi grade device not made for average home users. If you are confident you can set it up without much grief or are technical I couldn't recommend this enough. It really is the ultimate Access Point. Also if you might need more than one Access Point, adding more and provisioning them is a snap. You can build out a massive Wireless network with one WiFi SSID and travel from one area to another around the office or home without reconnecting every time. Need more WiFi on the other side of the house or across the office? Plug a new one in let it grab an IP from DHCP then using the UniFi controller provision it into your network. Thanks for reading my review!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product on the surface, non-existent support, April 20, 2013
I've purchased a number of these unit for use at a few different office locations. I was very excited because the Access Point had features I wasn't even interested in at first, such as a Guest Portal, support for multiple SSID's on different VLANS, etc. Everything was awesome at first, in the simple environments we setup (ie, single network, no vlans, most AP's were wired) but then some Long Range versions started over heating. So I swapped them out with standard models, which resovled the issue. But as we created more complex environments and used more of the listed features, we started running into more issues. There are issues when using VLAN's (despite being a listed feature), where it will work for a few hours and then crash. The version #3 of the software does resolve some of this (we are using their beta program), but the beta also breaks other functionality such as wireless uplinks. I'm also confused at how they have been advertising this awesome new version 3 for months as if it's publicly available and it is not. Nevermind available, it's not functional.

My biggest issue was that no matter how many times I've submitted support requests, emailed support, customer service, called and left voicemails, etc - NO ONE has EVER gotten back to me. I get the automated responses from their ticketing system - and NOTHING else. I've purchased some other equipment from them which also works well on the surface (Airvision cameras) - but the same thing. There are features listed on the actual box that don't all work. They keep coming out with betas, but it's been over a year and still missing support for advertised features. They've obviously made some awesome products and financing must have dried up because they can only keep people working on new products and seem to never complete the current models. Very disappointing experience for a product that has so much potential.

Oh, and I still have a 3 pack of defective Long Range models that I'm waiting to exchange if they ever find the time to help their customers.

5.0 out of 5 stars The solution for a robust wifi network, August 18, 2011
VSOP (Pelotas, Brazil) - See all my reviews
We are a small research group and have been trying for a few years to have a robust and stable wifi coverage in our building. We've tried D-Link, Cisco, 3Com - each model expensive and problematic. Ubiquiti was an unknown name to us, but strongly recommended by a supplier. We decided to give it a try. My IT people is enthusiastic - it works! Simply like that. No losses of connection, no variability in signal. And the free software that comes with the units is beautiful, functional, effective. Need say no more. Go for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Perfect, November 12, 2012
I live in a 3 bedroom apartment with a few roommates, all of us big time technology addicts. We generally have 10 to 15 devices on the wireless network at any given time. I was routinely disappointed in the wireless performance of my router's wifi, and I at least partially chalked that up to the poor positioning (we've got fiber, but the ONT is in a poorly located closet, as is all the networking stuff). I work in business IT, and one of our big clients uses SonicWall access points and switches, which got me researching. After all, if consumer grade gear isn't good enough, why not go "enterprise" grade? After a lot of Googling, I found that Ubiquity has products that can directly compete with SonicWall in most classes, but at a fraction of the cost. A lot of guys on the Spiceworks forums spoke favorably about Uniquity, and Amazon (still) has the UniFi unit at an incredible price, so I pulled the trigger.

This device shipped to me with "everything you need" in the box. The mounting plate was actually snapped onto the WAP itself, so I initially thought I didn't receive one, but its simple to remove. This unit is very light, so I ended up doing a really shoddy mounting job, just 2 screws going into drywall. Thanks to the PoE adapter that's included in the box, you run only an ethernet cable to the device, as the power is "injected" from the other end of the cable. The unit's design is tasteful and understated, so its very easy to forget its there.

With the access point mounted on the ceiling in roughly the center of the entire apartment, I am getting fantastic speed and signal everywhere in the apartment. I was actually able to stream HD trailers on YouTube pretty much anywhere outside my apartment as long as it was in the immediate vicinity. Obviously, signal strength dropped considerably with the signal passing through like 3 interior and 1 exterior walls, but it was still usable.

On the software side, I currently don't even have the controller software installed anywhere. It was trivially easy to install the management software and my stuff configured as desired. This is a home network so we only use WPA2, no crazy RADIUS stuff for us. As a result, deployment was very quick and easy.

I am extremely impressed with the software, which allows you to load in an image of your site's floorplan / blueprint, to help figure out the optimum positioning if you're deploying multiple WAPs to the same site. Obviously, this is over-kill for my use-case, but its also just awesome to see, especially at such an incredible price-point.
So far, We've had the device installed and working for about 5 months, and haven't experienced any issues.
I highly recommend this device to anyone needing a low-cost high-quality WAP. I'm fairly certain one or two of these could cover a good-sized house with ease.
Also note, they sell 3-packs!

5.0 out of 5 stars A near-perfect WiFi Solution, March 11, 2013
Kevin Greene (Suffolk, Virginia) - See all my reviews
I work for an IT company servicing a variety of small, medium, and large businesses. These are our go-to product for wireless connectivity. In the past we've tried other vendors' wireless offerings, but we found them lacking. Poor wireless coverage and disconnects were the norm. Not so with the UniFi.

Here's how it works: You need to have a computer to install the UniFi controller software. The controller software is officially supported on PC or Mac, and some enterprising folks have gotten it working on Linux. Once the software is installed, you can configure all of the normal WLAN options like SSID, encryption type, password, etc. It automatically recognizes any access points which are connected to the same LAN, which you then adopt into the network. There is an option to set up a guest network which is segregated from your private computers, and you can even set up a splash page for users to log into.

The strength of these units is wireless uplink. One UniFi can wirelessly uplink four other devices, creating a chain to extend wireless coverage in areas without existing network infrastructure. This is done by connecting the AP to the LAN, adopting it, and then disconnecting it from the LAN. It will go into isolation, and from there you can set it to wireless uplink to the closest AP.

I had an issue with a couple APs not uplinking recently- if you run into that problem I suggest resetting them to default (either through the software, or using the tiny reset hole in the back of the unit), readopting, setting static IPs and identical channels.

Pros:
Aesthetics. The UniFi is a beautiful piece of hardware, and looks especially good mounted on ceiling tiles. The color changing led displays the status of the unit.

Scalability. If one UniFI is enough for your home or office, great. If it's not, its a cinch to add another one.

Range: The range is exceptional on these, and you even have the ability to dial up the transmit power if needed.

Stability: These things are rock solid. One client had over 50 users connected to one AP with minimal complaint. They were saturating the network bandwidth, but the UniFi wasn't dropping people either.

Ease of Management: The Unifi software makes it easy to monitor your network. You can upload a blueprint or map of your environment and place the access points on it. It offers a wide variety of information about network traffic and users on each access point.

Cons:
The configuration software takes about 3-4gb of space. You can uninstall it after you're done setting up the network though.

Requires a special power over ethernet injector (included).

5.0 out of 5 stars UBNT has excellent hardware, March 13, 2012
I've been using Ubiquiti hardware for the past two years and this is an excellent product. $80 PoE adapter included in-box allowed me to upgrade my network and have it be pleasing to the wifes eyes. The LED is controllable in the software and the unit is only slightly larger than a smoke detector. This is not a consumer product, but something nice to replace my Aironet 1121G hardware I was previously using. (Another review commented on the complex setup process, keep in mind it is not hardware for your average user).

5.0 out of 5 stars The best AP, December 11, 2012
Let me start by saying unless you have some networking background don't bother. This is also just an access point, so don't expect routing features or anything else. Performance wise it will never slow down, never need a reboot, and has a powerful web management interface that can control multiple access points at once. I have this located in a closet on the second floor of my house and still can get full signal outside in all areas of the yard. If you're tired of all the bad wireless devices out there then get this, you won't regret it.

Update 1/5/13: Stress tested the Unifi with 10 devices all streaming YouTube videos, not even a hiccup or buffering issue. Truly a great product.

I also installed a few of these "Long Range" editions for a small business recently. They commented how their wireless printers and devices have been 100% stable over their Linksys Wireless N AP when they had to reboot once or twice a week.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great access point for the money, August 23, 2012
I bought this access point for home WiFi because I was tired of dead spots using Linksys and Dlink equipment. This is definitely a step up from those with sophisticated management capabilities and far better range.

I ran into a couple of installation pitfalls (on Windows XP) that I'll note for other's benefit.

1. Before installing the Controller software verify that port 8080 is not in use on your system. Mine was being used by a DirecTV app. The installation process didn't warn me there was a conflict, but just installed normally and then wouldn't start, leaving me to Google up what the problem was. It took me a while to figure it out. Uninstalling the DirecTV app and a reboot took care of it, but not until I had created another problem...

2. Since the controller app needs Java I thought upgrading from version 6 to version 7 might solve my first problem. Don't do that unless you want to run the beta version of the controller. The version of the controller app that came in the box was 2.2.5, which requires Java 6, and won't run on Java 7. Again, the software provides no warning for this conflict. It just hangs on start up an leaves you wondering.

Fortunately there is a handy user forum [...] where I posted my problem and received a prompt reply setting me straight. Rather than downgrading Java, I installed the beta/rapid version 2.3.5 of the controller app (which you can download here: [...] ). It installed like a snap and is working fine so far.

So, long story short, if it weren't for that DirecTV app using port 8080 I wouldn't have had any problems. You can check to see if anything is using port 8080 on your system by typing "netstat -a" (without the quotes) in a Command Prompt window, and if you don't see anything like "localhost:8080" in the output you're probably good to go. If you do see 8080 then you'll need to figure out what is using that port. There's a free command line tool called Fport that you can download from McAfee that is similar to netstat but also shows you the program that is using the port. You can download it here: [...]

Other than that my only complaint is that there was supposed to be a wall mounting plate in the box, and there wasn't one. Despite all that, I'm still giving it 5 stars because it's just that cool, and is a fantastic value for the price.

Ubiquiti Networks UniFi AP Enterprise WiFi System