Published on September 6, 2012 by Sam Caplan

Coverage - Excellent
Speed - Moderate
Features - Excellent*

Published 3 months ago by mcgman

5.0 out of 5 stars Impossibly Perfect.... Puts systems that cost 5x as much to shame, September 6, 2012
This review is from: Ubiquiti Networks UniFi AP Enterprise WiFi System UAP-3 (Pack of 3) (Electronics)
Took just minutes to blanket our motel with wifi from 8 of this magic gizmo's (after the physical installation of course). After a year of headaches with SonicWall Sonicpoints costing thousands we finally gave up and replaced them with Unifi AP's. Puts the sonicwall system to shame. Provides the same level of security and a FAR more useful feature set then the sonicwall sonicpoint system in a more intuitive interface that "just works". Somehow i can buy 4 of these far superior devices for the cost of one sonicpoint....

Pro's - Works perfectly. After using these and a few other Ubiquiti WiFi products i will not look back at any other brands. period.

Con's - almost made me cry over all the cruddy wifi garbage i have over-payed for through the years.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal solution for older buildings, September 22, 2012
Our installation is an historic church, with thick brick walls, plaster over metal lathe, and concrete on steel pan floors. In other words, a wireless nightmare. We replaced consumer-grade APs with three of these and were able to get rid of the wall-wart adapters and general ugliness of that solution. Power over Ethernet is a real win!

I also love the management system. After dealing with DD-WRT on the old setup, (which is not bad, just too tech-heavy for my users), the controller software is a dream: intuitive, powerful, and well, unified. You load it, it finds your APs, upgrades their software, and you are on your way. You can monitor usage, and even block problem users by MAC addresses (realize that this is not a complete security solution). Plus, the system has some nice features for site survey work and troubleshooting coverage problems.

Finally, the ability to set up a 'guest network' (as a separate virtual WLAN) is a huge win for us. We wanted a secure network for our staff, plus a completely open, (but bandwidth limited) network for church users and guests. Even a WPA password led to support problems as users show up with all manner of ancient laptops. The controller software offers many options should we need something more complicated and secure in the future.

If you want to know more, I'd suggest going to the Ubiquiti website and downloading the UniFi AP/AP-LR User Guide. Very impressive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes you get what you don't pay for, March 30, 2012
I have been in IT for over 15 years and I know that you usually get what you pay for so I was very skeptical, but I must say this is an amazing product. I installed a school with six AP's. The hard part was running the cable. I purchased two of the 3 packs and they just worked. I installed the controller on a desktop system saving $1200 just in the controller from other venders. The controller is completely user friendly and I can see everyone that is connected, the status of the AP's and the coverage. It has been a month and the school Wi-Fi is solid. I am installing another school with nine AP's and feel it will also be a success.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent option for multiple WAPs on a single SSID, January 28, 2013
Dave M (Alexandria, VA) - See all my reviews
I put these in place for a client about 3 weeks ago. The office is shaped like the letter L. I had a single access point at the center of the office, but the range was insufficient to hit the edges of the office. I replaced the single access point with these three access points with great results. I now have all three wireless access points (WAPs) running on the same SSID (wireless network name) and as users move around the office, they process of switching from one access point to another (as signal strength varies) works very well. I also purchased this item for centralized POE functionality, which is easier than powering each POE where it's located:

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with this package and will likely never buy another AP again - for a single WAP deployment and definitely never again for a multiple WAP deployment.

When researching options for this environment, Dell gave me a quote of $2600 for the same functionality that I can achieve with these Ubiquiti devices for $300 (the main functionality being multiple WAPs on a single SSID where clients can roam seemlessly between the WAPs). Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good enough for the price, February 11, 2013
I am an IT manager with a 100 user network. I installed 9 Unifi APs in my two level building.

After it is all done, it works. One star off because the software is picky about the machine OS and Java version. Because I read the other reviews and the forums, I was aware this might be a problem. I went through three computers before I got one to work. I did not uninstall-reinstall Java like some have said was necessary.

The rest of the install was easy (except for climbing the ladder to install the APs on the ceiling :-).

The controller interface is cool in that you can make a map of where your APs are located. "Controller" is not exactly right since the APs are completely independent once they are programmed, but if you leave your "controller" running 24/7, you can get statistics about usage. The statistics and graphs are also cool to show the boss :-)

Don't let the low price fool you. This is a good solution for a 2 story building and 100 users.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and Powerful, November 1, 2011
I've been using Ubiquiti radios for the past 5 years. Most of my installs are point to point bridges. I used the UNIFI system for wireless client access for a 55 acre, 7 building installation. We're at 15 access point now and are awaiting the outdoor radios. They were a breeze to install in drop ceilings and the wall mounts were ok too. I have the controller software running on a Debain Sid server. No real "gotchas" there; just check your TCP ports against existing services and adjust if needed. The range is quite far, especially compared to the Open Mesh radios we were using prior to the UBNT product. We ended up VLAN'ing the public SSID, so I have no experience with the guest portal functionality. We saved a ton of money not using Ruckus,Meru, Aruba, Cisco, or Juniper (Trapeze).

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for Enterprise, December 27, 2012
I have two access points in my house because one doesn't provide enough range (I know, first-world-problems). This means that I have to associate with one access point that is closest to where I am - but if I move my device, I then have to re-associate with the second access point. So say I'm watching YouTube or Netflix on myiPad on one side of the house and then I walk over to the other side - the movie will stop playing because the WiFi signal is too weak - Ithen have to re-associate my iPad and resume watching the movie.

You can get extended range WiFi devices or WiFi Extenders - but they just create another WiFi network.

At work, I can carry my laptop around into different rooms or floors of my building and always be connected to WiFi - this is because enterprises use WiFI APs that are connected to a smart switch that knows how/when to hand-off WiFi from one AP to another. These switches are not cheap and have therefore only been in the enterprise.

Ubiquiti brings enterprise performance at consumer prices. I hooked up three of these APs around my house - ran through the installation software (which runs on my home PC "server"). I have three AP's, but a single wireless network - I can roam around the house and watch a movie on the iPad without any glitches - the software running on the PC automatically hands off the WiFi signal between AP's depending on my location. Works flawlessly.

For not much more than a good high-end router, you can blanket your home in WiFi to guarantee a strong signal no matter where you are. I've tried Cisco and Buffalo routers that supposedly are "long range" but have found that they just don't work for me - Ubiquiti is a much better solution. It does however assume that you have wired ethernet in each of the rooms you plan on installing the AP (i.e. it doesn't do wireless bridging or WiFi extending) - if you happen to have a POE switch, you don't need to plug the AP into the wall outlet.

Web interface is very nice - I uploaded a jpg of my floor plan so I can visually see where I placed each AP and the range of each AP. The software lets me see which client is connected and usage details. You can assign aliases to clients and AP's so that you have more readable names (vs. MAC addresses).

Bottom line - if you need multiple APs in your house because one doesn't provide enough range - get Ubiquiti instead!

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome product, December 2, 2012
These units are perfect for setting up a campus/building-wide wireless network. Once you've worked with the Ubiquiti Unifi, you'll wonder why you ever bothered mucking around with individual dd-wrt access points, or similar. To add a new AP to the network? With Unifi, the hardest part of adding another access point to your network is running the wire to it. Just connect it using the included PoE injector, and then click "Adopt" in the (included) controller software.

The only thing that would make it better is switching to 802.3af PoE rather than passive PoE so I could just power it off a PoE switch.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be great... but, August 8, 2014
UBIQUITI - GET PHONE SUPPORT FOR A BETTER RATING

Coverage - Excellent
Speed - Moderate
Features - Excellent*

* Ubiquiti decided that it was not important to separate the guest and corporate networks. Everything uses the same IP Range and they mask the guest network. This is not acceptable for businesses as the guests use the same pool of limited IP Addresses.

The other major issue is that you cannot adjust the amount of bandwidth used by guests. If you have a guest streaming movies, they will be eating up your business bandwidth.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works way better than any other Wi-Fi ! true enterprise class, January 14, 2014
Ravindra Sunku (Union City, CA USA) - See all my reviews
It took a bit of You Tube tutorials to get upto speed to set it up, but is has been long time coming for such good wi-fi access points.

I have split level house and setting up a single access point did not work for me. I tried using range extenders but had too many dropped connections. I hard wired 3 of these access points across the house (a bit of a overkill :-)) and used the PoE to power them up.

I love the device and and are very elegant to look at with out antenna sticking out