Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on January 15, 2014
Love this switch. Let me count the ways:

(1) Very well constructed.
(2) 8 gig ports WITH POE.
(3) Solid performance.
(4) Very nice web interface.
(5) Runs Linux!
(6) You can ssh in and control the ports (mostly undocumented, so you'll need to Google a bit)
(7) Has ~64MB ram, and ~50MB of that is not in use on my switch
(8) Persistent storage in /etc/persistent/ (to persist, run: cfgmtd -w -p /etc/)

5-8 are really great. For example, I was able to match the running Linux version with OpenWRT kamikaze[1] and simply downloaded the dnsmasq package, extracted the dnsmasq binary from the package and scp'ed it over to the switch. With a bit of config, I now have a powerful DNS and DHCP server running on the switch.

[1] [...]
33 comments12 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 27, 2013
VLAN management is a snap! 48v and 24v PoE supported and can be changed port by port! The interface is stupid simple, makes n00bs look like seasoned geeks! The only two reasons for 4 stars: 1. No port trunking (assigning two ports to act as one to support devices with multiple NICs in high availability configuration) 2. Price is high for an 8 port switch.
55 comments16 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 14, 2014
Ubiquiti TS-8-PRO ToughSwitch 8 Port Advanced Power Ethernet Controller

It was a time to retire old noisy 10/100MB Netgear switch that was in service for at least 6-7 years. I did my search for available solutions from different vendors and this one was both highly rated by other owners and affordable so I went ahead and ordered one.

So far, so good. No noise, no external power supply, Web managed and stable.

Pros:
- compact design and high quality construction that is build to withstand abuse and hopefully will last
- gigabit ports
- supports both 24- and 48V independently so I can mix old 48V Cisco APs that with some UniFi's that require 24V
- Web interface is responsive and clean, it is not the awfully slow Java that Netgear uses for bunch of their products. Nice per-port and overall statistics, VLAN, STP, SNMP support, jumbo frames...what not to like!
- per port alerts
- power supply (as I said) is internal so no additional bricks around my network stuff.
- Ability to power cycle a single port if the particular device is not responding
- Wall mount bracket available from third party vendor

Cons:
- This switch is running hot, especially when there are multiple power hungry devices attached as there is no active cooling. I've added some rubber feet to elevate the switch and allow better air circulation.
- It looks like with current version of FW (SW 1.3) there is no support for port trunking/LAG (bonding), or at least I don't know how to set it up. It will be very useful, especially in the era of 802.11ac and network cameras that use 5MP sensors. I hope Ubiquiti will fix this soon.

I have Polycom 550 SIP, 501 IP phones, Cisco 1142 AP for my wireless devices, one UniFi for wireless cameras and couple PoE cameras that I am going to upgrade soon to something with 3-5MP resolution. I do my routing with L3 switches and partially through my ZyWALL 110. EdgeRouter wasn't as good when I checked it and it is very limited for what I am doing.

July 2014 update:
Switch is still running strong but still no 802.3ad LACP/LAG support. I am now looking at something like Cisco SG300-10MPP, HP 2915-8G-POE or Juniper EX2200-C-12P-2G that in addition to 802.3ad support PoE+ and are L3 switches for future deployments that require more power and LAG. TS-8-PRO ToughSwitch is still a very good device and I still hope it will get 802.3ad support.

Nov. 2014 update:
Still no new version of firmware for almost 1.5 years so no new functionality. I am placing order for Cisco SG 300-10P (SRW2008P-K9-NA) to do some testing.
on February 25, 2014
We use a lot of these and usually drop them in dry-boxes. We are often using unusual power sources, working in cold or very hot conditions. They are a little weird and make some interesting design decisions, but ultimately the product has been rock-solid in extreme conditions.

We had 5 of our units in dryboxes, but subject to a flooding situation where they were completely submerged. We did give them ample time to dry out. Just this week I powered them up and tested them and they are working just fine. The only challenge is getting the dirt and grass out of the ports.

I am using the POE for my home network and love the fact I can configure it based on which port. I still don't know everything these switches can do, but everything they've done so far has far exceeded anything that I have worked with in the last 20 years when it comes to standing up to extreme weather and unusual environments.
on February 25, 2013
Been set up for a couple months. No issues. Super easy to select the voltage and power your stuff. Runs a little warm since it is fanless but in my wide-open server room, it's a non-issue. In a dense rack I might consider a solution with a fan.
on February 28, 2014
This device was easy to setup and has great visibility into the traffic that is flowing on the network. It has easy to read counters and charts. The device makes no noise and does not put off much heat. It is slightly warm, but nowhere near hot inside of my house. This replaced a Cisco 3750G switch that would heat up quickly and was loud.

I have used the POE with a couple of devices and it is simple to setup as you click a checkbox and indicate the voltage that you need sent to the device. The device itself has substantial weight to it because of the POE components needed to use POE are included in the device. Because there are no fans the whole unit acts as a heat sink.

The only drawback is that there is only 8 ports. I use this device off of my firewall so I also have to use one of the ports as a uplink. This is not a router so almost any setup will require dedicating one port as the uplink so you realistically only have 7 usable ports. For a small home network that is typically more than enough. That was my only small hangup is that I wish there were more ports or at least a model that offered the POE and no fan option. (Example a 16 port model.)

- Damon1974
on June 26, 2015
I have to revise my review after a couple month of using these junk switches

These things have a design flaw related to not enough buffer for 1 gig connections which will cause slowdowns into the kilobit range (yes not megabit)

Ubiquiti knows about this problem since years but does not do anything about it

Do not buy this junk if you running a production network and customers depend on it it will not work

just google toughswitch pro 8 slow throughput and you will see it on the ubnt forums
11 comment7 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 10, 2013
I bought this to provide LAN hub for my new cat 6 wiring and to power a unifi pro AP also from Ubiquiti

This is a great product, good browser setup, very fast transfer speeds on the LAN for home

If I had an issue it would be that this product can not provide the management interface for the wifi APs, would be great to have it all in one URL
on September 10, 2014
No mounting bracket or mounting holes?!!?!? Total Fail. The cheaper 5 port at least has the mounting holes. I don't care how good this is, it gets a big fat "0" in my book. (It is a good cheap POE switch but not when you have to find a shelf to sit it on)
review image review image review image
22 comments20 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 28, 2013
This switch rocks. FYI you have to turn on POE function per port all ports are off by default . You can select from 24 or 48 volt on each port. Its not plug an play with POE devices. It will illuminate the led on the switch port regardless if a device is plunged in or not indicating the voltage of that port. A nice feature if you don't want to blow up your device by plugging in to the wrong port. the power is a straight 110 power plug, No external power adapter.