5.0 out of 5 stars Better than our Cisco solution
We have a wireless network based around the CISCO 5500 series controller at work. There was no way I could afford this for home.

Published 14 months ago by Tex

3.0 out of 5 stars Great once you get it working...
Published 21 months ago by Tommy O

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than our Cisco solution, July 16, 2013
This review is from: Ubiquiti UAP-LR-3 UniFi AP Enterprise Long Range WiFi System, 3 Pack (Camera)

After reading the reviews I opted for this kit. I have one in the house, one in a 3,000 sq foot detached workshop, and one at our horse stables. All tied together with 4 Ubiiquiti NanoStation M5s, two Ubuiqiti NanoStation2 Locos, and a Ubiquiti UniFI AP. The system links 19 security cameras, multiple servers, gate control systems, and a wide array of desktops, servers and handheld WiFi devices, on our small ranch.

The Ubiiquiti solutions work flawlessly. Never skip a beat. Just perfect. They are not really aimed at novice home users, as they require some good networking skills. I just updated the firmware on an AP, and noticed its uptime was 284 days! You just don't get that with your NetGear or other consumer grade APs. These are priced consumer grade, but 100% Enterprise class in stability, features, and design.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite enterprise class, but pretty close - and the price is right, May 27, 2013
I have a background in enterprise networking, including a wireless network for a hospital that had over 200 access points.

I don't consider this an enterprise-class product because it doesn't work well in a segmented network. The UniFi system is designed to operate on a flat network that isn't divided up into different zones with routers and firewalls, which is what you normally find in an enterprise network. Another black mark is the Power over Ethernet they use isn't compliant with the 802.3af standard found in enterprise switches, requiring an (affordable) adapter.

Unless I missed something, there's no way for the access points and the management software to talk to each other across a router or firewall. They need to all be on the same subnet. If you know what this means, then you know whether or not that's a deal breaker for you. For me, it's not a huge deal.

For the average home or small business user, this system will give you a lot of powerful features that are normally only found in much more expensive enterprise products. You can set up multiple SSIDs, with different security and access features. You can restrict the ability of each SSID to access specific network addresses within your network, giving you some of the benefits of a segmented network without needing the routers or firewalls you'd find in a big company. You can set up a "hotspot" network, where users can be forced to accept a user's agreement and even to pay for access.

The system is essentially auto-configuring. You plug the access points into your network, then fire up the software on a computer (Win, Mac, or Linux) that's on the same subnet. The software is actually a Java-based web service that's accessed from a web browser (on the same or remote network), and it's quite nice. It automatically detects the access points and arranges them in a list, ready for you to drag them into the onscreen map.

Speaking of the map: you can import your own map, or you can use Google Maps and use the aerial view of your site right from the software. Very slick and fast to get running.

The software gives you all sorts of statistics, like the user who's using the most bandwidth and the most popular access point. There's a log of alerts that can be emailed to you as they happen. There's charts for number of users and bandwidth used over time. There's a diagram of the estimated range of your signal, which is really handy when you're using the Google map feature. And it all looks very slick and professional.

One good feature is that you don't need to leave the software running. Once you've got everything configured, you can turn off the UniFi server and the WiFi network will continue to run. This is an advantage you don't usually find in an enterprise wireless system, which requires constant supervision by a server somewhere.

Another thing you don't often find in enterprise wireless - the server software is free of charge.

The hardware is well made, attractive, and easy to set up and install. You don't need to cut a huge hole in a ceiling tile - just a small hole for the Ethernet cable and four little holes for mounting screws. You can mount it on the ceiling or on a wall. The access points run a version of Linux called Busybox, which helps explain their power and affordability.

The wireless range is enormous. I thought I'd need three of the APs to cover our facility, but it turned out to only need two, leaving me with a spare in case of problems.

The UniFi system gave me the features I wanted, more range than I expected, and a stunningly low price. The problems were minor and easy to work around. I will be sure to consider other Ubiquiti products in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, Easy to Use and Install Product, September 15, 2013
Coverage is great too. I'd consider myself moderately tech-savvy and I installed the 3 AP's at our church in just a couple of hours. I'd recommend this system for sure. The monitoring software is pretty advanced, but also user friendly.

4.0 out of 5 stars WOW is the best way to describe this item, March 26, 2013
I have been trying to get enterprise results in my business with very little success until now. I received my order and within an hour had all of the access points installed and running. They are powerful, fast, easy to install and easy to manage. Guests and employees can now walk from room to room and building to building without having to log into another access point. One network SSID to remember and one password to remember. I no longer get complaints from guests about an inability to connect to the network. WOW! My search for an enterprise class system is over and I couldn't be more satisfied. I would gladly recommend Ubiwuiti UniFi to anyone wanting a powerful easy to manage and use wifi system.

Update: October 31, 2013. I ran an advertised update for this equipment. One of my six access points quit working immediately. Nothing I could do would get it to work. I had to request an RMA from the manufacturer and I had to pay shipping to return the product. I really didn't appreciate having to pay for the shipping because it was their update that seemed to cause the problem and it was still clearly under warranty!

Update: November 8, 2013. They sent me a brand new one in the box and just like the originals it was easy. I am still amazed that I had to pay shipping to return something under warranty! Still love the product just not the support.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great once you get it working..., December 25, 2012
Tommy O (Orlando, FL) - See all my reviews
Firmware/software that came with the 3 pack did not work correctly. Had to search numerous message boards to find the software I needed which happened to be a version of the software that was about 2 years old. Once i figured out that's what i needed and installed it the system has worked fine. Calling tech support only gets you an answering machine and emails pretty much go unanswered so make sure you are somewhat techy before purchasing this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe the quality for such a low price!, July 16, 2013
I just bought 9 of these for my company, and now have coverage over the entire plant and front offices. The management software is where this product really shines, not just distance and throughput. The whole process of getting a private and guest network up and running was very easy. I replaced our Cisco Aironets for these babies, and I haven't looked back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Out Performs any and all access points on market., May 4, 2014
I highly recommend this access point. It has a maximum range of 600". I used this product in an old plaster walled 4500 square foot two story home and it was able to transmit straight through the wire mesh used to plaster all walls. This is a great example of a great value and talk about bang for your buck. I highly recommend the use of Ubiquiti TS-5-POE TOUGHSwitch with this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars These things are awesome!, September 24, 2013
I never heard of this company before but took a chance and ordered a 3 pack. The idea of central administration really was appealing to me. Well, so far so good. Better range and connectivity than the Cisco WAP4410N's I have replaced. I liked them so much I bought a second 3 pack and 2 of the outdoor units.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ubiquiti is an amazing company, and these products really perform, August 6, 2014
Ubiquiti is an amazing company, and these products really perform. I've had this setup (3x UAP-LR) in a hotel for 10 months now with the EdgeRouter Lite, and my uptime has been 100% not including the day the power was out for 3 hours. users connect quickly, roaming works great, and I love that you only need the controller for initial setup (they do all of the rest on their own if you aren't concerned with historical use graphs). 10/10 would recommend. This is my new wireless solution for small businesses. It's really intuitive to use the controller, which is great too.

5.0 out of 5 stars These are outstanding A/Ps, April 28, 2014
David "David" (Porter, ME United States) - See all my reviews
I've been using these for all of my contract work and everything at my facility. I keep on finding new features that the units have (like hotel/guest logins) and the signal quality is great. They changed my work life.

Rate and Discover Movies