Ubiquiti UniFI AP Outdoor 2x2 MIMO Access Point 802.11bgn
Price:$189.00 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

TOP 500 REVIEWERon July 16, 2013
We have a wireless network based around the CISCO 5500 series controller at work. There was no way I could afford this for home.

After reading the reviews I opted for this AP.

I have one of these in a large open pasture on my ranch.
All tied together with 3 Ubiquiti UniFi AP Enterprise WiFi System Long Range, 4 Ubiiquiti NanoStation M5s, two Ubuiqiti NanoStation2 Locos, and this Ubiquiti UniFI AP. The system links 19 security cameras, multiple servers, gate control systems, and a wide array of desktops, servers and handheld WiFi devices, on our small ranch.

The Ubiiquiti solutions work flawlessly. Never skip a beat. Just perfect. They are not really aimed at novice home users, as they require some good networking skills. I just updated the firmware on an AP, and noticed its uptime was 284 days! You just don't get that with your NetGear or other consumer grade APs. These are priced consumer grade, but 100% Enterprise class in stability, features, and design.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 24, 2012
Verified Purchase
This is a great product and only gets better when you are using multiple indoor and outdoor devices. Think of this for large areas like campgrounds, hotel grounds, marinias, and other large areas. When you configure multiple units you can either make the links between the devices physical ethernet or wireless. The setup I used for a client actually has tweleve units (nine indoors, and three outdoors) with two sets of two access points 400 feet apart wirelessly and they work great. They also have a great interface "UNFI" that can be setup on most PCs and laptops to tell you about the clients, status of the access points, and give a overlay so you can look at placement. I have looked around a long time and not found similar units with a graphical interface anywhere close in the price range. Don't get me wrong one unit is good but in large scale deployments this device is great.
on August 8, 2012
Verified Purchase
Nothing else I've tried comes even close to UniFi AP's. Just don't try installing the software and restoring the AP's on different computers, or you'll have to manually reset the AP each time. To use the management software from a different PC (or tablet) just type the IP address of your AP at port :8443 into any browser (on the same network) and login. I am currently managing 4 UniFi Ap's on our site, without issue, via various PC's and devices. I have more on the way. I love them!
on August 3, 2013
Verified Purchase
I have a 1/3 acre yard and wireless coverage was spotty out back. I could barely use my phone in around 1/2 of the yard and had no connectivity in the rest. Introduce the Unifi Outdoor AP. Now I have great service all over. I haven't tested much beyond my yard yet but my phone has full bars everywhere in my yard and I still get service inside the brick school building behind my house. I imagine this thing could probably fry eggs.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 20, 2014
Verified Purchase
Be aware that in order to set this device up you need to install the AP controller software, the idea is you would have a few dozen of these reporting to the AP controller to provide a single location for provisioning and statistics. This is more a business/commercial product but can be used in homes.
on May 29, 2012
Verified Purchase
The UniFI Outdoor AP is awesome! I have it sitting next to a Belkin and it out performs it in every way. I have worked with a lot of wireless routers & access points trying to find one that works in our environment. Our facility is part manufacturing part retail, so we have a lot of heavy machinery and a lot of concrete, plus our build is a sprawl over a couple block radius.

The UniFI AP gets very good range, the setup is amazingly easy, and the PoE is a boon.

The range is about twice that of our Belkin and Linksys WRT54, and the range does not seem to change like our other routers.

The setup, I should say the management software, is amazing. The setup took less than 5 minutes and was very easy. Though I did have some Java trouble on my Win7 computer, but I attribute that to me. The management software has a couple flaws but overall it is better than anything I have come across from any other router/AP vendors. Being able to manage multiple APs across our entire factory/buildings is so helpful that I am surprised others have not started doing this. Viewing who is connected is also most helpful, the UI lets you know who is connected and what AP they are connected to. It gives a lot of details about the connection if you need to troubleshoot any issue. The map is another helpful tool, this allows you to upload a map and place the APs and see a estimated signal strength. Finaly, the voucher, guest, and hotspot features are very nice. I would expect to see this on a high-end AP but you get the ability to allow and monitor guest access from this unit without paying the enterprise tax.

PoE is nice, allows us to easily mount it without running extra power.

PROS:
- Enterprise grade without the price tag!
- The UI is intuitive
- So many cool features (Unified management, vouchers, hotspot, redirection, easy install, AP coverage map, nice unit design, and so many more!)
- Excellent range

CONS:
- Feels a little cheap, though time will tell
- Google maps integration was not working
- The firmware update is not well documented and is harder to figure out than it should be
- Since I only have 1 unit this may be a moot point once I receive my next one but the way the UI works is a little confusing, every time I want to connect to my management console on a different computer I have to download the setup and restore it on the new computer. The overall feel seems strange and a little different but since it works and I only have 1, I will say this is only a minor flaw so far.

Overall this is a great product, I can't wait to buy more and UniFI my whole factory, this is an enterprise grade product at a fraction of the cost. I hope this makes other vendors stand up and take note.

*** Update: 6/25/12 ***
After testing this product for a month or so I found the Outside AP seems to disconnect from the Unifi Controller, it still allows people to access the WiFi but you can't manage it unless you physically reset the device. This is not so nice if you have to mount this on a hard to get to area. I can not use this product for what it was intended, and will update this review when an update fixes this issue but until then I have a useless piece of junk hanging around my office.

*** Update: 8/15/12 ***
As a commenter pointed out, keeping it on a single computer has improved the reliability but if making serious changes I still would be leery if you have them mounted in hard to reach places.

I also noted some issues with the voucher system, while it worked perfectly on my iPhone and 2 or my laptops I have a handful of customers have issues. The portal wants to use SSL and since the device does not have a cert this seems to cause issues. Ubiquity has a fix but it is rather involved and requires some technical finesse. The devices I noted where mainly iPhones, but I did have a Macbook Pro and an Android phone not able to process the voucher page.

I have raised my rating but until all advertised features work reliably I can't give them the 5 stars they should have!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 2, 2014
Verified Purchase
Spectacular performance. It struggles if you put it in a very high density 2.4GHz RF environment but they all do. In any sort of normal neighborhood, you can expect rock solid 100 yard performance. I wish Ubiquiti would setup their own cloud based controller so I didn't have to go to a third party for a cloud controller but other than that, there is nothing I could ask for. It is reliable and easy to control remotely over the internet. If you don't need or want remote control, it operates just fine on its own with no PC connected. Great range. Great speed.
on February 20, 2013
Verified Purchase
The signal strength off this device exceeds the manufacturers stated abilities, at least in my situation. Very impressed with ease of setup and use. Was up and running in short order, in fact it took longer for me to find a couple patch cables to connect the device, than it did to use the software for it.

I did not use the included CD, I went straight to their website and downloaded the installation software. Also incase your wondering, this device can run in standalone, with out the software, so long as you don't have the "guest" virtual AP running.

They really nailed it with this one.
on April 17, 2014
Verified Purchase
it shipped real fast thank you, However when i opened the box it appears to be a different model.
On this ad it says 2x2 mimo and upto 750mbs. The one i received does not say mimo technology on the box or manual. nor does it mention any speeds of 750mbs. it does however state upto 300mbs in the included manual.
Feel a bit ticked off about the misleading ad but all in all it seems to be a quiality ap.
I did power it up and it does have a really nice set of features. very impressed so far .
I plan on keeping this anyway and buying more in the coming months but may find a different seller due to the misleading ad.
Will update this when test distance.
on February 28, 2014
Verified Purchase
I set this AP on channel 11 next to my D-Link AP on channel 1, and used Wifi Analyzer on my phone to measure received signal strength around my property. This unit consistently showed up 15-20dB over the D-link. Terrific AP with very high speeds.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations