Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on April 12, 2014
For a while now, we've been having problems with our Wi-Fi from linksys it's been a little slow, a little flakey etc. Personally I think it's our neighbor causing interference. Well you don't mess with a network engineer, so yesterday I Amazoned (is that a new verb) one of these puppies.......and today I plugged it in, these things kick some serious ass. Now I have the first wi-fi enabled well and that's at the property line at least 600' from the Access Point close up I get 100% on my wi-fi signal strength meter. It's the Cadillac Escalade of wi-fi. It's awesome!

Me 1 - Neighbors 0 :-)
on January 31, 2014
*Update 06-18-2015*
This will be the final update for all of these posts. After more in-depth testing, the units are still defective, even at firmware 3.2.10. Performance will be very good for 30 seconds, then terrible for 10s, ping times of 1-3ms internally, then jump to 2000ms with random time-outs and then network-disconnects. Adjusting power-output had some benefit, but upon applying more load (5 devices) the behavior becomes severe. Repeat this pattern infinitely and it becomes unusable. Around 20% packet loss, with 40% transmission-retries.My guess for the problem is the units have a high noise floor (meaning the ability of the unit to pick our signal from surrounding noise, it starts "noisy" without other devices to interfere). I did more testing using a spectrum analyzer, this time accounting for interference. I went to an unused locale (rural house), with zero competing APs, mounted a spare Outdoor+ 10' up, and even at a line-of-sight range of 30' with a laptop and cell-phone, continue to experience the same erratic behavior.

My company is now swearing off on the Outdoor+ design, though we still love the UAP-Pro (Blue Circle) units and will continue to deploy the on-mass. Unfortunately, the Outdoor (Non-Plus) units are no longer available, manufacturing having ceased in early 2014. Really a disappointment, I gave these units so many chances over a year of testing, and in the end, they are unusable. More returns to go through, we will proceed to testing other Ubiquiti units as we trust the company in general, but not the Outdoor+ line. We may branch out into MikroTik WAPs. Good luck in whatever you research, and test, test, test!

*Update 06-08-2015*
I deployed two Outdoor+ units mounted to poles at 16 feet with water-sealed CAT6 wiring. The units continue to work well, but only if you work around interference and fine-tune power settings. Due to how crowded the 802.11 radio-range is becoming, we are having to pick non-standard channels (standard are: 1,6,11) in noisy environments, and pick whatever is empty (channels 4,8,13), and only with HT20. The units work fine, but you must use the Config > Performance tab to track your loss/retry/success packet transfers to fine-tune the channel and intensity (high, medium, low). To test, get a laptop or two and setup a "ping 8.8.8.8 -t" and connect over wireless. If you see erratic numbers (40ms, 800ms, 700ms, 40ms etc), you need to adjust your channel/power. Configure until under moderate load (10 devices, web-browsing/YouTube) and you get under 15% loss over a 2-minute window. If the antenna is broadcasting too high strength (e.g., 30+dB), transmissions can be very 'shouty', meaning Tx (send to device) works fine and shows full bars, but Rx (receive from device) isn't heard over the noise. Using medium or low power can have much better results (which are still very strong compared to other WAPs). Once they are configured right they work well. A helpful tool to find a clear channel is InSSIDer, use it to look for spiking interferences that may not be visible, and use WiFi Analyzer for cell-phones to identify available channels. Between -40dB -> -75dB is ideal. Have fun!

*Update 05-01-2015*
I upgraded all of our WAPs to 3.10.0, the erratic packet loss under load has disappeared, range is usable from at least 400' radius @ -60dB (limit of usable signal at about -85dB), and speeds are dramatically better under load, reaching 38Mbps on 2.4GHz. This product is now viable for business use with the updated firmware. My company is going to deploy a few units for further testing. For now, the product appears to match the rest of Ubiquitis excellent lineup. Please perform testing under load with minimum 10+ connected devices before making a full deployment. You won't find enterprise-grade gear this capable at prices even close (aside from maybe MikroTik, but their interface is brutal due to deploy mass-scale). If your deployment is over 6 WAPs, look into setting up a cloud controller. Product review raised from 2 to 4 stars pending further testing.

*Update 08-19-2014*
Ubiquiti had a firmware release, 3.2.1, on 06-18-2014 which modestly improved the situation. It appears Ubiquiti has given up on fixing the Outdoor+ issues. We RMA'd only two units and have kept five in service as their load is under 4 devices each. The units even on the new public firmware 3.2.1 still experience severe stability problems when more than 4 devices are connected. Bandwidth looks fine in a speedtest (sometimes), however, YouTube videos will fail to buffer from constant packet loss, and pages will stop mid-load (for about 10-20 seconds there is no traffic for that device, enough to be a problem). UBNT staff have moved onto other projects with newer, more marketable features. Our company is continuing to use the Outdoor (non-plus) model with great results, due to its reliably handling huge amounts of traffic and users, but with a real throughput maximum of 45Mbps (5.6MBps) per device. Have hit a maximum of 60 users (It can likely handle more) with over 400GB of download throughput over the last three months without needing a reboot. Strongly recommend Outdoor (non-plus) units over the Outdoor+.

*Update 05-28-2014*
Review changed from one of great praise to one of dismay, dropping to two stars. The units are very unstable. Speaking with other users at the Ubiquiti forums and talking with UBNT Developers has yielded no results. For five of our Ourdoor+ WAPs we have extremely intermittent connections. With one cell phone running a speedtest we get a full 60Mbps. When four devices jump on, all devices drop to 0.2Mbps download -- unusable. Updating the controller and firmware to 3.1.13RC made no difference, neither did adjusting minimum RSSI values (kickoff for weak devices). We will be RMAing all seven units and finding an alternative product. Unfortunate, I really like Ubiquiti, their hardware is great but these devices have kicked the bucket.

Our business has been greatly pleased with the UBNT UniFi Outdoor+ units. The "Outdoor+ [Plus]" is simply the newer model, running at 2.4GHz, the alternative to the "Outdoor" 5GHz model. Both models contain the same guts, are reliable, very competitively priced, and practical to setup.

Though outdoor rated (temperature & moisiture), we have installed five units for a sports arena, keeping the UAPs in indoor utility boxes, and running 25' TRENDNet TW-l208 WiFi cables to externally mounted EnGenius EAG-2408 2.4GHz antennas.

The Outdoor+ has standard WiFi SMA Male Connectors. To use an external antenna you will likely want a reverse SMA (female) to N-Type adapter or cable. I strongly recommend using low-loss cables to get optimal signal strength. The Outdoor+ did a good job automatically adjusting power settings for the loss in the wire and the antenna gain.

Upgrading device firmware and management (channel, bands, SSID/PSK) is a very simple and fast setup. Rather than individually managing the units, due to Ubiquiti's design choices, we use the UniFi Controller application on a standalone workstation to manage all the WAPs from a single location. Any UniFi provisioned WAPs are locked to that controller, unless reset to factory defaults.

The price is right, the reliability impressive, and performance is exactly what we were expecting. We will be continue to purchase and setup these units as long as Ubiquiti makes them.
review image review image review image
1616 comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 8, 2014
This unit deserves more than 5 stars.
I had several Cisco APs without controller , and the management was nightmare either installation or changing some parameter later. installed Ubiquiti UniFI AP Outdoor+ 2x2 ( as an outdoor AP ) and and configured the AP with three SSIDs by defining three VLANs on my Cisco switches , Also I installed the UniFi Controller on Windows 2008 server.
The only difficulty is in adding AP to the controller , but once you get done else is FUN.
it has many features:
1- Guest Control
2- Host Spot
3- Vouchers Management
4- Bandwidth Control per SSID
5- Blocking Client with MAC address .
6- Power Transmission Control
7- Great WiFi coverage
8- POE
Finally, for the price and free UniFi Controller software , I like it more than Cisco costly APs.
Note: you will need some networking basics to configure it, because it's very hard to get support for the UBNT.
on April 23, 2014
I purchased one of these to extend my indoor network of three UniFi AP-Pro's to my patio and the area around my pool. After I installed it I configured it with the controller software and it "adopted" into my existing network with no problems. Provides 100 % coverage of my back yard and pool area. Wi-Fi travels much farther outdoors where there are no walls to block the signal....covers my neighbor's back yard also!

I am running the Beta controller software and using the Zero Handoff feature with my network, and this device works fine with ZH to and from my AP-Pro's. For me ZH is a "deal-breaker" on getting Wi-Fi to really work well. Now iPhones and iPads do not "stick" to the AP they were on when moving around the house....they switch to the AP that has the best signal at their location as they are moved around.

For more information see my review of the Ubiquiti UniFi AP-Pro.

When I ordered this unit I was wondering if it came with the antennae because the photo shows it without any antennae, but YES, it did come with two 5 dBi external antennae. You can also use other external antennae with higher gain if you need to.
55 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 6, 2015
(reposting my review for the UBiQUiTi UniFi AP as this purchase is part of the same infrastructure)

I work in tech and decided it was time to upgrade my wireless access point. I am not a big fan of the all-in-one router / switch / wireless access point devices. I keep all that kit separate.

This system allowed me to set up an enterprise level wireless system at my home. Much more features than the typical all-in-one widget provides. The management component resides on a separate PC and has no special system requirements. I can control all the WAPs from a central location. And no, the management machine does not need to stay powered on for the wireless to work. The power-over-ethernet capability allowed me to easily put the WAPs in places only reached by CAT5 cable and away from wall outlets.

Best part was I am able to set up an appropriate guest network called 'openwireless.org'. I initially thought I would need to set up a bunch of VLANs and switch configuration to keep the guests off my wired network. Not so, these WAPs will automatically restrict guest users from all my network and only allow them access to the gateway. I am finally part of the open wireless movement, check out openwireless.org for more information.

The range of this system is much better than the old Cisco all-in-one wonder. I literally have coverage for my entire 4 1/2 acre wooded property, and can pass traffic as far away as my neighbor's horse barn. Fair disclosure though, I also purchased UBiQUiTi's Outdoor+ WAP as well.

Yes, this is probably complete overkill for what my needs are, but the price point & feature set really drove it home for me. Highly recommended, especially for someone who is technically minded.
on November 24, 2015
There are several models of the UniFi line of wireless access points (WAP or AP). The Amazon descriptions don't tell you everything so this review is intended to give an overview of the product line. These devices are made by Ubiquiti, a company most known for supplying wireless gear to the networking professional. Because of remarkable pricing, high reliability, and marketing via consumer outlets such as Amazon, more and more folks are getting turned onto Ubiquiti gear. Although Ubiquiti has a track record of promising, and even advertising, features that materialize either late or never, UniFi still gives you great bang for the buck. :>

Be advised that you need to be tech savvy to configure Ubiquiti products. They don't have push-button setup and there is no telephone support. Most configuration questions are handled through the community forums. I'm going to tell you right now though that if you don't have some networking background the forums may put you off. It's frequented by folks who install UniFi for a living and they speak in techno-talk. No real hand-holding but rather, practical advice from people who do UniFi every day and speak the lingo of WiFi and RF (Radio Frequency). Having said that, if you are the learning/researching type that's good at reading documentation you may well not even need the forum.

Let's move on and point out the main features of UniFi. UniFi access points are often deployed as part of a "managed WiFi system", i.e. hotspot software (although a UniFi system can be a single access point). UniFi is often used in the hospitality industry where something more than a WiFi password scratched on a piece of paper is required. With UniFi you can set up a customized guest portal, place speed and/or data caps on each client's internet usage, track who is connected to your system, cut off usage hogs, and even charge a fee for access. UniFi even lets you print out uniquely numbered guest vouchers as opposed to handing out a single password for everyone. These features are all OPTIONAL. If you wish to use them you must have a computer running the UniFi "controller" software 24/7. The computer does NOT need to be dedicated to this one task however. On the other hand if you simply want a basic system with no bells & whistles you still must install the controller software (on a PC, MAC, or Linux box), but the controller only needs to be running when you first “adopt” each new UniFi AP added to the system. There is also an option for a cloud based controller that eliminates the need to run the Unifi software locally. Gadget freaks will love the controller for all its graphs and readouts.

Regarding the various UniFi models, they come in indoor or outdoor versions, 2.4GHz or 5GHz versions, and there is a model (both indoor and outdoor) that incorporates both 2.4 & 5GHz radios. UniFi devices operate as access points only, meaning they deliver internet to connected client devices such as laptops and smartphones. If you are instead setting up a system to connect to an existing access point, or to make a point-to-point link, you should check out a cousin to the UniFi outdoor models designated as "Rocket" (Ubiquiti ROCKETM2 2.4GHz Hi Power 2x2 MIMO AirMax TDMA BaseStation), which has upgradeable antennas, or the Rocket’s [somewhat] equivalent with a fixed directional antenna, the NanoStation series (Ubiquiti NanoStation locoM2 2.4GHz Indoor/Outdoor airMax 8dBi CPE).

OUTDOOR UNIFI MODELS
UniFi AP Outdoor 2.4GHz (Ubiquiti UniFI AP Outdoor 2x2 MIMO Access Point 802.11bgn).
It's 2.4GHz only, but that will be most compatible with an array of wireless devices. 2x2 MIMO means up to 300Mb/s throughput.

UniFi AP Outdoor 5GHz (Ubiquiti Networks Unifi AP Outdoor 5GHz (UAP-OUTDOOR-5)).
Also 2x2 MIMO. Great in areas densely populated with 2.4GHz signals, but you must insure that all devices wanting to connect have 5GHz capability.

NOTE: Unique to the above models are detachable antennas. The provided omni-directional antennas give these radios good range in all directions. However, if you need even more distance, or coverage only in specific areas, Ubiquiti has an amazing line of high gain directional antennas designed specifically for these Outdoor APs. For example, I have an installation where the client devices are over 500 ft. from the UniFi Outdoor 2.4GHz AP (it's a motel) and my customer never gets complaints about weak WiFi signals. We are running an airMAX 120 degree Sector Antenna (Ubiquiti Airmax 2.4GHz 15dBi 120 degree Sector Antenna). A well designed antenna like this makes the AP a very good *listener*, allowing it to receive the relatively weak signals generated by most consumer handheld devices. Without a proper antenna the AP can put out all the power in the world, but users won't get a good connection at such distances because their [relatively weak] signal has trouble making it back to the AP. By the way, the Outdoor UniFi AP is designed to fit snugly into the airMAX antenna, providing a clean and attractive installation.

UniFi AP AC Outdoor (Ubiquiti Networks UniFi UAP-AC Outdoor Enterprise WiFi System).
Incorporates both 2.4 and 5GHz radios. Best of both worlds, but cost is substantially higher and the omni antennas are fixed. This "AC" model is 3x3 MIMO with throughput up to 450Mb/s. Fixed antennas.

Indoor UniFi models come in several flavors, but they tend to match the specs of the outdoor models. Most come in an attractive round “smoke detector” form factor with fixed antennas. The best way to see the lineup is to go to the Ubiquiti product page here: ubnt dot com /products/#all/wireless. I tend to skip any versions with “LR” (long range) in the model number. Experience indicates that it is preferable to have a greater number of medium range APs indoors as opposed to a smaller number of high-powered APs. Again, the AP must be able to receive a signal from lower powered client devices.

Hope this helps!
on August 6, 2015
This is one heck of an access point! The signal is VERY strong and the configuration software is top notch as well. Works great as a stand-alone AP and plays nicely with other ubiquity AP's. The power over Ethernet with the included power supply is just icing on the cake and makes installation a one wire affair.

I own a big old house with thick plaster and tin ceilings on over 2 acres of land. Over the years, I have used several consumer grade wireless routers and AP's from a wide variety manufacturers. The ubiquity AP's I have, (I only have two) are the only ones that provide a strong seamless network both inside and out.

They are not the cheapest solution, but you get what you pay for. I wish I used them years ago.

In one of the attached photos in the back of my property I have full reception. Can you find the access point mounted in plain sight?
review image review image
on July 12, 2014
I've owned quite a number of Ubiquiti products, and I keep coming back for more of their high quality goods. It does take some network knowledge to set them up, but this UniFI series really takes away most of the complexity. This product stands out as a winner with it's range and performance. I have it mounted about 15 feet above ground level on the outside of my house, and I get full bars on my phone and iPad for almost a block in my neighborhood. Plus, their build quality and firmware has never failed - I had PicoStation models installed outside for 2 years at my last house, and never had to reboot them or even think about the fact that they were there. They just work. And they don't seem to age at all in the sun - the plastic looks as good as day one.
on September 15, 2014
works great just like all the rest of there products... I'm a true believer now, I've installed 14 so far and each one works a just like the last, there up time is remarkable and they just work! Setup takes mins, install on a local pc or mac, drop it into place and power it up , software is really easy to work with and you can troubleshoot them if needed but I haven't had to yet because they just work
on February 24, 2014
I expect that this device is just what the doctor ordered - so long as associated clients are likewise UniFI devices. Had to dumb down the UniFI-associated options in order to provide an AP that will work with an assortment of existing G and N clients. I ended up setting this device aside, in favor or replacement airMAX Rocket M2 device for primary AP.