Published 10 months ago by Daniel R. Challis

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Hardware, Firmware Needs Updates Badly
*Update 08-19-2014*
Published 13 months ago by D. M. Kruse

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Hardware, Firmware Needs Updates Badly, January 31, 2014
D. M. Kruse (Fresno, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ubiquiti UniFI AP Outdoor+ WiFi system with form factor built ( 2.4 GHz speed, speed upto 300 Mbps) (Electronics)
*Update 08-19-2014*
Ubiquiti had a firmware release, 3.2.1, on 06-18-2014 which modestly improved the situation. It appears Ubiquiti has given up on fixing the Outdoor+ issues. We RMA'd only two units and have kept five in service as their load is under 4 devices each. The units even on the new public firmware 3.2.1 still experience severe stability problems when more than 4 devices are connected. Bandwidth looks fine in a speedtest (sometimes), however, YouTube videos will fail to buffer from constant packet loss, and pages will stop mid-load (for about 10-20 seconds there is no traffic for that device, enough to be a problem). UBNT staff have moved onto other projects with newer, more marketable features. Our company is continuing to use the Outdoor (non-plus) model with great results, due to its reliably handling huge amounts of traffic and users, but with a real throughput maximum of 45Mbps (5.6MBps) per device. Have hit a maximum of 60 users (It can likely handle more) with over 400GB of download throughput over the last three months without needing a reboot. Strongly recommend Outdoor (non-plus) units over the Outdoor+.

*Update 05-28-2014*
Review changed from one of great praise to one of dismay, dropping to two stars. The units are very unstable. Speaking with other users at the Ubiquiti forums and talking with UBNT Developers has yielded no results. For five of our Ourdoor+ WAPs we have extremely intermittent connections. With one cell phone running a speedtest we get a full 60Mbps. When four devices jump on, all devices drop to 0.2Mbps download -- unusable. Updating the controller and firmware to 3.1.13RC made no difference, neither did adjusting minimum RSSI values (kickoff for weak devices). We will be RMAing all seven units and finding an alternative product. Unfortunate, I really like Ubiquiti, their hardware is great but these devices have kicked the bucket.

Our business has been greatly pleased with the UBNT UniFi Outdoor+ units. The "Outdoor+ [Plus]" is simply the newer model, running at 2.4GHz, the alternative to the "Outdoor" 5GHz model. Both models contain the same guts, are reliable, very competitively priced, and practical to setup.

Though outdoor rated (temperature & moisiture), we have installed five units for a sports arena, keeping the UAPs in indoor utility boxes, and running 25' TRENDNet TW-l208 WiFi cables to externally mounted EnGenius EAG-2408 2.4GHz antennas.

The Outdoor+ has standard WiFi SMA Male Connectors. To use an external antenna you will likely want a reverse SMA (female) to N-Type adapter or cable. I strongly recommend using low-loss cables to get optimal signal strength. The Outdoor+ did a good job automatically adjusting power settings for the loss in the wire and the antenna gain.

Upgrading device firmware and management (channel, bands, SSID/PSK) is a very simple and fast setup. Rather than individually managing the units, due to Ubiquiti's design choices, we use the UniFi Controller application on a standalone workstation to manage all the WAPs from a single location. Any UniFi provisioned WAPs are locked to that controller, unless reset to factory defaults.

The price is right, the reliability impressive, and performance is exactly what we were expecting. We will be continue to purchase and setup these units as long as Ubiquiti makes them.

5.0 out of 5 stars "You send one of mine to the hospital, I send one of your's to the morgue", April 12, 2014
For a while now, we've been having problems with our Wi-Fi from linksys it's been a little slow, a little flakey etc. Personally I think it's our neighbor causing interference. Well you don't mess with a network engineer, so yesterday I Amazoned (is that a new verb) one of these puppies.......and today I plugged it in, these things kick some serious ass. Now I have the first wi-fi enabled well and that's at the property line at least 600' from the Access Point close up I get 100% on my wi-fi signal strength meter. It's the Cadillac Escalade of wi-fi. It's awesome!

Me 1 - Neighbors 0 :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Managed AP, February 8, 2014
This unit deserves more than 5 stars.
I had several Cisco APs without controller , and the management was nightmare either installation or changing some parameter later. installed Ubiquiti UniFI AP Outdoor+ 2x2 ( as an outdoor AP ) and and configured the AP with three SSIDs by defining three VLANs on my Cisco switches , Also I installed the UniFi Controller on Windows 2008 server.
The only difficulty is in adding AP to the controller , but once you get done else is FUN.
it has many features:
1- Guest Control
2- Host Spot
3- Vouchers Management
4- Bandwidth Control per SSID
5- Blocking Client with MAC address .
6- Power Transmission Control
7- Great WiFi coverage
8- POE
Finally, for the price and free UniFi Controller software , I like it more than Cisco costly APs.
Note: you will need some networking basics to configure it, because it's very hard to get support for the UBNT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extends indoor network to outdoors, April 23, 2014
I purchased one of these to extend my indoor network of three UniFi AP-Pro's to my patio and the area around my pool. After I installed it I configured it with the controller software and it "adopted" into my existing network with no problems. Provides 100 % coverage of my back yard and pool area. Wi-Fi travels much farther outdoors where there are no walls to block the signal....covers my neighbor's back yard also!

I am running the Beta controller software and using the Zero Handoff feature with my network, and this device works fine with ZH to and from my AP-Pro's. For me ZH is a "deal-breaker" on getting Wi-Fi to really work well. Now iPhones and iPads do not "stick" to the AP they were on when moving around the house....they switch to the AP that has the best signal at their location as they are moved around.

For more information see my review of the Ubiquiti UniFi AP-Pro.

When I ordered this unit I was wondering if it came with the antennae because the photo shows it without any antennae, but YES, it did come with two 5 dBi external antennae. You can also use other external antennae with higher gain if you need to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent product from Ubiquiti, July 12, 2014
Andy O (Philadelphia, PA USA) - See all my reviews
I've owned quite a number of Ubiquiti products, and I keep coming back for more of their high quality goods. It does take some network knowledge to set them up, but this UniFI series really takes away most of the complexity. This product stands out as a winner with it's range and performance. I have it mounted about 15 feet above ground level on the outside of my house, and I get full bars on my phone and iPad for almost a block in my neighborhood. Plus, their build quality and firmware has never failed - I had PicoStation models installed outside for 2 years at my last house, and never had to reboot them or even think about the fact that they were there. They just work. And they don't seem to age at all in the sun - the plastic looks as good as day one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mine was a little funny. I'll be RMAing it soon here, November 15, 2014
Brandon (Denver, CO USA) - See all my reviews
Mine was a little funny. I'll be RMAing it soon here. Happy with all my other Ubiquiti stuff, this one unit just behaved a little funny; see below for details.

From perusing the Ubiquiti community (community.ubnt.com), there appear to be two things:
1. The firmware originally shipped with these units was flawed. For the plurality of cases, updating the firmware fixes the funny behavior, and you're good to go.
2. For a smaller minority (and I think I'm in it) they would work, but just work funny (sometimes slowly, sometimes low connect rates still, etc.). Ubiquiti recommends to RMA these initial units if you've confirmed that it is actually the problem (and not an install problem, interfence, all the stuff that can be done wrong installing WiFi professionally).

The unit never would let me down. It would just slow me down. And it wasn't up to snuff with the other APs and products I've gotten from Ubiquiti (which - as you can tell from my reviews - I've utterly loved).

After perusing the Ubiquiti community more, it looks like I got one of the few initial units with some sort of hardware defect that causes this and Ubiquiti recommends RMAing the unit if you experience these symptoms - after - having updated the firmware/software and making sure it's not something with the install/setup.

So, I'm going to take mine down (it's still being used to write this review) to RMA it soon.

I'm hoping that like what happened with the first batches of EdgeRouter Lite-3's, that that this was just an early-on manufacturing hiccup, and the replacement unit will be better (like the rest of my other Ubiquiti APs).

I'll post an updated review once I get the new unit back from Ubiquiti.

5.0 out of 5 stars love these for the money!, September 15, 2014
Jason P. Loveless (Cleveland,Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
works great just like all the rest of there products... I'm a true believer now, I've installed 14 so far and each one works a just like the last, there up time is remarkable and they just work! Setup takes mins, install on a local pc or mac, drop it into place and power it up , software is really easy to work with and you can troubleshoot them if needed but I haven't had to yet because they just work

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product!, May 13, 2014
If you're needing an enterprise / medium business outdoor rated WiFi A/P that doesn't carry the price tag and level of expertise to setup -- This is one for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars The power-over-ethernet capability allowed me to easily put the WAPs in places only reached by CAT5 ..., January 6, 2015
(reposting my review for the UBiQUiTi UniFi AP as this purchase is part of the same infrastructure)

I work in tech and decided it was time to upgrade my wireless access point. I am not a big fan of the all-in-one router / switch / wireless access point devices. I keep all that kit separate.

This system allowed me to set up an enterprise level wireless system at my home. Much more features than the typical all-in-one widget provides. The management component resides on a separate PC and has no special system requirements. I can control all the WAPs from a central location. And no, the management machine does not need to stay powered on for the wireless to work. The power-over-ethernet capability allowed me to easily put the WAPs in places only reached by CAT5 cable and away from wall outlets.

Best part was I am able to set up an appropriate guest network called 'openwireless.org'. I initially thought I would need to set up a bunch of VLANs and switch configuration to keep the guests off my wired network. Not so, these WAPs will automatically restrict guest users from all my network and only allow them access to the gateway. I am finally part of the open wireless movement, check out openwireless.org for more information.

The range of this system is much better than the old Cisco all-in-one wonder. I literally have coverage for my entire 4 1/2 acre wooded property, and can pass traffic as far away as my neighbor's horse barn. Fair disclosure though, I also purchased UBiQUiTi's Outdoor+ WAP as well.

Yes, this is probably complete overkill for what my needs are, but the price point & feature set really drove it home for me. Highly recommended, especially for someone who is technically minded.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very easy setup using their software, September 13, 2014
Very easy setup using their software. Do not have to pay yearly license fees. POE. Good range in a hotel setting through concrete floors/ceilings.