4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Expansion Until AC III
Published on January 24, 2012 by Lethe

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Short, Not Sweet enough.
I mean, it is sweet, its Assassin's Creed. The characters, the story, all top notch. Istanbul/Constantinople is a beautiful city...which looks to be about half the size of Rome from AC:B. Graphics and Story get 9/10, and that's with the "we all knew it was coming" fact that this won't be the last AC and it doesn't reveal much.

This game was much more...
Published on December 2, 2011 by C. Carter Holland

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Short, Not Sweet enough., December 2, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars

This game was much more cinematic than the others, and it doesn't fail in this since its well done. Where it does fail is that the game is waaaaay to short. Each Memory Sequence is made of 2 story quests and 2 book quests. The book quests take the place of the requisite Assassin relic missions. I logged a total of 27 hours, and while that sounds like a long time, that was me abusing the money system by leaving it running. I should have seen it as a warning sign of shortness when it turns out practically the entire map is open to you from the beginning. take that 27 hours and knock 16 off (2 8 hour shifts I left the game on to fill up all my banks) leaves you with 11 hours, which maybe a third of were quests. Most of that was running around. Tunnels are back, but with a map this small, and the necessity of keeping a low profile half the fun is ruined by using them.

Its sad because they made the world breath much more than the other games before it. In this I mean that while you are much more effective in combat, combat is harder. Taking control of a zone doesn't mean you won't lose it. You have to maintain a low profile or the Templars come looking for you. Stalkers (Templar Assassins that randomly spawn and try to assassinate you) might add a bit of suspense, if it wasn't practically impossible to be killed by one even when they get the drop on you.

A minor complaint about the face change: Desmond looks like a douchy cousin of Nicholas Cage now. Ubi said it was from a better facial recognition software, but I'm pretty sure they changed actors as well, because the new Desmond looks nothing like his earlier incarnations. Bad move, I hate the new Desmond, don't care about him at all. Is it a shallow complaint? Maybe, but it definitely ruined the immersion not only for them to change him but to change him into someone who looks so bland and uncaring you want to punch them to see if they even react. Strangely enough, they use the same (New) actor for Ezio, but it works better, guess the beard and grey really make that much difference. Altair also gets a new face and voice, but they didn't totally screw him up the way they did Desmond.

So the Irony is that sure, its a great game, and if you love AC then you will love this one. It just feels like an addon-pack more than a full game. As much as I'm sure multiplayer is fun, its not the reason we play AC games and I resent the fact that Ubisoft wasted time that could have added more story to the game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Expansion Until AC III, January 24, 2012
This review is from: Assassin's Creed Revelations [Download] (Software Download)
ACR is more like a 3.5 than a 4. AC is my favorite video game franchise and this title only suffers by comparison to the previous ones, not on its own. Like others have mentioned, ACR is not the best introduction to the franchise, play AC II first and then either Brotherhood --> Revelations or the original if you enjoy AC II. I played ACR on a decent gaming machine with an xbox controller (if you buy any of the AC games on PC, get a controller). I only encountered bugs replaying some of the missions for full sync and in the multiplayer but your mileage may vary. This review may contain some spoilers.

The Good:
- Most beautiful AC game: That's saying a lot. The great design is why I love these games. Constantinople is absolutely gorgeous and a joy to explore. Some of the cinematic sequences like the boat chase were particularly memorable. My minor gripe is that Constantinople felt so small compared to the previous cities, and you could tell the developers didn't spend nearly as much time on Cappadocia. More effective use of interiors of landmarks and landmarks in general would've also been appreciated (like the basilica Ezio scales top down in Brotherhood).
- Platforming dungeons: The improved graphics and integrated use of the hookblade really enhanced my platforming experience from the previous games. However, I wish they were more challenging. I remember spending an hour trying to figure out the pathing for one of the AC II dungeons, but I was able to achieve full sync in almost all the dungeons on my first try (approx. 5 min time limit). I hope they bring back the difficulty level of the AC II tombs in the next title.
- Improved assassin recruitment: I loved this aspect of Brotherhood and really welcomed the side missions for training master assassins. This was my favorite addition over the previous games.
- Sofia: Great character and I really enjoyed the development of her relationship with Ezio, even if it felt rushed like every other plot point.
- MINSTREL MISSION! My favorite in all of AC, this was so clever, hilarious and well-executed.
- Altair memories: Sad but fitting end to the assassin that started it all.

The Average:
- Hookblade: Fun addition but I was rarely given the incentive to use it outside of the platforming levels, especially with all the rooftop guards. New kill animations and extra inches on jumps is nice though.
- Bomb crafting: I appreciated the bomb side missions and general crafting interface, but limiting chest loot to bomb materials ruined the chest side objective for me. Additionally, since Ubi chose to highlight this as a "game changer", I would've liked main missions that really integrate this new feature.
- All new non-Sofia characters: Yusuf and Suleiman were really promising but fell tragically short of achieving much resonance. It felt like they didn't even try with Piri Reis.
- "Boss fight": Short of the original game, this has never really been the strong or selling point of AC, but the end fight for this game was less memorable than some of the DiVinci machine missions in AC Brotherhood.
- Desmond's levels: Novel is good, but I didn't even play any of them beyond the first level because it was so jarring and shoddily executed.
- Multiplayer: Great PvP concept that kept my interest for a few days, but the perk system really made it unbalanced to new players. Rooftops ruined it for me. Multiplayer could be awesome though with the right group of friends.

The Bad:
- Rushed story: I spent over 20 hours working through the AC II main campaign, with some welcome distractions along the way. Could've probably finished the main storyline for this in less than seven hours. More importantly, other than the assassin recruitment missions, I didn't want to be distracted by the side objectives.
- Tower defense and notoriety system: These elements felt like they were added to force you to waste time and to gloss over the rushed plot.
- Lack of side missions: The endless assassination contracts were one of my favorite aspects of previous games, where did they go? Likewise with races and beat up events. I guess the game expects you to sink the majority of your time into the Mediterranean defense mini-game, but it's a pretty pointless time dump beyond leveling up master assassins. Only challenge is knowing how to add and waiting 3-20 mins.
- Carriages: Despise them even if they're different from the general gameplay.

I hope they release a single player DLC soon to tide us over until AC III. Multiplayer is novel but Ubi shouldn't prioritize it over single player.

2.0 out of 5 stars SINGLE PLAYER ONLY: "de"powering the player, December 3, 2011
The game is good at points. You can move around the city much smoother, thanks to the excellent addition of the "hook blade." Missions anywhere outside the main city is very exciting, beautiful, and cinematic; I myself love the canyon view of the first "finding the key" mission. And the addition of bombs turn out really nicely. For AC Fans, this game also wraps up the stories of Altair and Ezio; although the main focus is on Ezio, you get to see how Altair continues his life after AC1, grows old, and dies.

But the game's main fighting system seriously depowers the player. Here's why: AC:R makes guns a major component of enemy weapons. It is the only attack in the game that is unblockable, undodgable, and does tremendous damage. Any rooftop guard and Janissary (super guards that patrol the city in groups) possess guns. But your ability to focus (or select who to attack) is not modified to "fit in."

For example, the focus ability has a very short range compared to enemy sights. So when a roof guard spots you and begin aiming, you may want to take him out before he does the same to you, but your focus ability, the only way to aim, does not allow you to do so. A more in-game translation is that your master assassin, the best fighter in the whole world, cannot see as far as the guard does. This results in lots of unnecessary attacks by rooftop guards.

Another example is that Janissaries will try to aim and shoot you in close combat. When he begins aiming at you with his gun, you will want to hit him within a second or so to disrupt the shot. But because he always backs up as he aims, your focus system will likely direct your attacks toward other guards (whose attacks you can block or even counter-kill or counter-steal). This results in lots of unnecessary hits and deaths in combat.

Overall, the game does have some exciting moments, a good navigating system, and an excellent finishing touch to the previous games. But these are not nearly enough to make up for the bad combat system, which kills skilled players because the aiming system compromises every skill the player possesses. For the first time in the AC series, I no longer feel comfortable picking fights.

(I'm a pretty good AC player; I've finished AC1 5 times, AC2 2 times, ACB 2 times, and now ACR 1 time. In AC1, I can play full offense (using counter-kill whenever enemies attack, but otherwise pressing no defense, and landing all the combo kills) and full defense with the sword or the dagger; and full hidden blade without jumping out of attacks, all without getting hit. Spoiler for AC1: did you know you can finish Al Mualim's 3rd stage in one blow if you perform a hidden blade counter kill?).

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy world to explore, December 5, 2011
J. Ghione (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This is my second AC title having just finished ACB several months ago. I cannot speak to the length of the single player story as I am still in the early stages. However, like all AC titles, there are a ton of side quests and personally I plan to do as much of that as possible before I complete the main quest line.

The graphics are simply stunning. I do not know if there was an upgrade to the graphics engine or if it's just the new city it takes place in. It's one of those rare games where I am happy just to exist and explore. So no hurry for me to get thru it all. As with past titles you can interact with every person in town, even if that's an accidental pick pocket which results in a woman in a burka chasing you down swearing your very existence.

Gone is the investment system, which I say good riddance.

Added is a quirky tower defense game. Whenever your Templar Awareness (think AC B notoriety) gets too high the Templars will attempt to take one of your dens. This triggers the tower defense mini-game. If you lose your den you also lose control of the area and have to re-take it by killing a captain and setting a tower on fire. Although I enjoy the tower defense mini-game I hate how I have to constantly monitor my Templar awareness level. It's sort of a pain to bring it down because gone are the posters you can rip down and the officials and heralds are few and far between. This new system seems like an arbitrary way to slow down the player. For example if you buy a shop your Templar Awareness shoots up. You can only buy two shops before it triggers a Templar attack on a den. So you have to wait and/or do something else while the awareness dissipates.

There is a bit more cinema in this title and it is very well done. Unlike most games I really feel like I am part of the story and that my quests are relevant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brotherhood in a new location, February 13, 2012
I'll start this review by saying that I have not yet completed the game. I have put several hours into it, and I believe I am at about 50% completion of the story. While I am not done, the % synchronization rises pretty fast, even though I haven't gotten 100% on every mission. While this game is pretty short, it is really, really fun. It basically matches AC: Brotherhood, but comes with bombs and a new weapon, the hookblade. Bomb ingredients take the place of the random junk you would find in Brotherhood, which I like. I have not yet had a chance to play online, but if it is anything like Brotherhood's, I know it will be fun.

This game is NOT Steam redeemable, but instead uses the Uplay launcher. I like this though, because it allows you to unlock Uplay points to spend on ingame items. One is three weapons from Brotherhood for use in single-player, and another is The Knight character for online play.

For game mechanics, it seems like Revelations kept with most of Brotherhood's. Unconscious NPCs will lie with no ragdoll physics, and dead ones will. The ragdoll effect is a bit glitchy, and the occasional body will squirm around, but it's nothing that would deduct a star. The bombs are quite fun, and the bomb crafting table lets you test them out in a blank world with a couple groups of guards and a circle of citizens. These bombs are pretty fun, and make your assassin life interesting. There is also the new hookblade, which takes the place of your second hidden blade. The two are fun when fighting with them, and it lets you grab onto things while falling with ease. As for combat, that stuck with Brotherhood's kill streaking sort of thing, but including a slow motion effect on the final kill. This makes everything move together much better, and makes the fighting look cool.

Overall, if you enjoyed Brotherhood, you will enjoy Revelations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb Conclusion to the Ezio Trilogy., September 9, 2014
Abedsbrother (Vancouver, WA, USA) - See all my reviews
If you've played Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, don't expect much new in the way of game mechanics. If you're looking for a great conclusion to the Ezio story, then you will love this game. If you haven't played Assassin's Creed before and are looking to get into the game, don't go for this one first. You'll be wondering what is going on for much of it. Try the original Assassin's Creed or Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag.

Story:
Ezio - spends most of his time in Constantinople, looking for the keys to the Masiyaf library. Along the way he'll tangle in local politics, romance a charming woman, and of course climb and sneak around looking for all those hidden loot caches.
Desmond - he is put into the Animus by a certain someone (no spoilers) to prevent the onset of madness after the events at the conclusion of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. He needs to untangle the strands of his mind (reaching a "sync nexus") to be certain of his sanity before returning to the real world.

Setting: Constantinople (Istanbul). The city looks glorious. Ubisoft clearly spent a lot of time on the look and feel of the city, and this is arguably one of the greatest successes of Revelations. There are also numerous caves to climb / explore, as well as a wonderfully atmospheric excursion to an underground settlement.

Gameplay: If you've played Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, you know what to expect. Combat is nearly unchanged: attack and counter are your primary moves. Store renovations are everywhere. Recruiting new Assassins is unchanged. There is a new "tower defense" mini-game. Seize Templar towers (a la the Borgia towers from Brotherhood); but if you acquire enough notoriety, the Templars can take them back. Sounds good on paper, but unless you are just completely careless (or don't care about notoriety), you'll rarely see this mini-game after the tutorial. For moving about the city, the "hook blade" has been added, basically allowing you to zip-line all over the city. It works well (and is required for the completion of several timed missions), but the zip-lines only work in one direction, limiting their usefulness. The hook-blade does allow for a few new moves when attempting to run through a hostile area. There's bomb crafting, which is useful in some situations, but isn't required. And - that's about it.

Assassin's Creed: Revelations is the perfect conclusion to the Ezio trilogy, but it would be a mistake to think of it only in terms of Ezio. To get the full impact, you need to not only have played the first (original) Assassin's Creed, but have also engaged with it on an emotional level. Then, having played through Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood, you start Revelations with a return to Masiyaf. This is a great moment that had a lot of impact for me. Also memorable were several flashback scenes where you play as Altair once again. Even if these sequences weren't tied into the narrative, they would still be fun. But they are. The story of AC: Revelations is arguably the strongest of the entire series, as it effortlessly weaves three narratives - Desmond, Ezio and Altair - into a complicated tapestry that makes absolute and complete sense. And the final conclusion - which I won't spoil - truly contains revelations of the highest order. I could not imagine a more satisfying ending to the Ezio Auditore trilogy, who IMO is one of the best characters ever created in any media.

Multiplayer is pretty much dead, making The Ancestors Character Pack and the Mediterranean Traveler Map Pack moot and near-pointless DLC. The Lost Archive DLC, however, is essential. Maybe the game-play time is short (2-4 hours), but story-wise it focuses entirely on Subject 16 and his story of betrayal and madness.

1.0 out of 5 stars one of the worste assassin's creed games yet, April 2, 2013
ubisoft seems to be going backwards in the gameplay as they have not fixed any of the problems I have seen yet. walk up to a guard to assassinate and what does he do? just stands there and extends his knife and sheathes it. really? is that what the assassin's guild is training their members to do? hmmmmm to many bombs and guns. fighting isn't much fun anymore. doesn't seem like stealth is even a factor anymore. the templar captains will notice you from 3 blocks away when all your doing is walking on rooftops. trying to attack specific enemies is very difficult. I constantly get switched to enemies I don't want to attack. my vision is forced in directions I don't want it during battle even if I press LT(xbox 360 controller) to disable target lock which annoyingly locks automatically whether you want it to or not if an enemy attacks you which makes running and climbing very difficult which is what made this series in the first place.
there are a few new things I've liked so far which is the blade hook. helps you to climb faster and you can slide down ropes. counter steal and grab which is pretty cool in a fight. helps to get medicine if you're all out and about to die. timing on the counters seems to be a little off on this game though. I will play through the game for the story and thats about it. may just youtube the story for the next few. not sure I want to give ubisoft any more money. Oh and if you don't already know this game binds itself to your uplay account and can't be used to on any other account ever. so don't buy used copy of the game. it's worthless. I myself made up an account just for the game so I can sell later. will only play once.

UPDATE

wow I have been trying out the multiplayer for this game the last week or so and OMG this game is horribly made. there is no fighting which I figured would be a big part of the game. so it's only assassination kills. sometimes you can't even kill you can only stun. wtf? guess your sword only works sometimes. you can be half way through a jump trying to outrun someone and the game will pull you back onto the roof or ledge and give the other player the kill unless you are the one trying to kill then they get away. really? half the time the contested kills and stuns don't even work. the climbing is way different than in the regular game so playing story mode isn't even practice. this game is horrible. it just gets me pissed off and I regret buying it more than ever now. I can't play it anymore. I can't sell it cuz ubisoft makes you register it so that it's worthless. horrible company and horrible game. won't be buying anymore more products from ubisoft ever again.

UPDATE

just changed my password for Uplay and couldn't sign in for hours and ended up changing my password like 5 times till it finally let me sign in on one. this company keeps getting worse and worse. avoid Ubisoft at all costs. will never buy another Ubisoft product again.

5.0 out of 5 stars AC revelations, February 10, 2013
recommended, very good game, good graphics, story and characters, last of the saga of Ezio, excellent game, the story gets me every time I play one of the best games I played so far and

5.0 out of 5 stars sons loves game, December 11, 2012
my son loves this game plays for hours, i would tell others it is a must get game. the download is so easy and cost is cheap.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ezio's finale, October 12, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Having played all previous Assassin's Creed games multiple times, this game seemed to end quite fast. It was a great game to play and I especially enjoyed the reality of "aging" Ezio as well. I recommend every fan play it (mostly to finish the storyline).

Assassin's Creed Revelations [Download]