Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Platform: PC Download|Edition: Standard|Change
Price:$9.99

on December 2, 2011
I mean, it is sweet, its Assassin's Creed. The characters, the story, all top notch. Istanbul/Constantinople is a beautiful city...which looks to be about half the size of Rome from AC:B. Graphics and Story get 9/10, and that's with the "we all knew it was coming" fact that this won't be the last AC and it doesn't reveal much.

This game was much more cinematic than the others, and it doesn't fail in this since its well done. Where it does fail is that the game is waaaaay to short. Each Memory Sequence is made of 2 story quests and 2 book quests. The book quests take the place of the requisite Assassin relic missions. I logged a total of 27 hours, and while that sounds like a long time, that was me abusing the money system by leaving it running. I should have seen it as a warning sign of shortness when it turns out practically the entire map is open to you from the beginning. take that 27 hours and knock 16 off (2 8 hour shifts I left the game on to fill up all my banks) leaves you with 11 hours, which maybe a third of were quests. Most of that was running around. Tunnels are back, but with a map this small, and the necessity of keeping a low profile half the fun is ruined by using them.

Its sad because they made the world breath much more than the other games before it. In this I mean that while you are much more effective in combat, combat is harder. Taking control of a zone doesn't mean you won't lose it. You have to maintain a low profile or the Templars come looking for you. Stalkers (Templar Assassins that randomly spawn and try to assassinate you) might add a bit of suspense, if it wasn't practically impossible to be killed by one even when they get the drop on you.

A minor complaint about the face change: Desmond looks like a douchy cousin of Nicholas Cage now. Ubi said it was from a better facial recognition software, but I'm pretty sure they changed actors as well, because the new Desmond looks nothing like his earlier incarnations. Bad move, I hate the new Desmond, don't care about him at all. Is it a shallow complaint? Maybe, but it definitely ruined the immersion not only for them to change him but to change him into someone who looks so bland and uncaring you want to punch them to see if they even react. Strangely enough, they use the same (New) actor for Ezio, but it works better, guess the beard and grey really make that much difference. Altair also gets a new face and voice, but they didn't totally screw him up the way they did Desmond.

So the Irony is that sure, its a great game, and if you love AC then you will love this one. It just feels like an addon-pack more than a full game. As much as I'm sure multiplayer is fun, its not the reason we play AC games and I resent the fact that Ubisoft wasted time that could have added more story to the game.
on January 24, 2012
ACR is more like a 3.5 than a 4. AC is my favorite video game franchise and this title only suffers by comparison to the previous ones, not on its own. Like others have mentioned, ACR is not the best introduction to the franchise, play AC II first and then either Brotherhood --> Revelations or the original if you enjoy AC II. I played ACR on a decent gaming machine with an xbox controller (if you buy any of the AC games on PC, get a controller). I only encountered bugs replaying some of the missions for full sync and in the multiplayer but your mileage may vary. This review may contain some spoilers.

The Good:
- Most beautiful AC game: That's saying a lot. The great design is why I love these games. Constantinople is absolutely gorgeous and a joy to explore. Some of the cinematic sequences like the boat chase were particularly memorable. My minor gripe is that Constantinople felt so small compared to the previous cities, and you could tell the developers didn't spend nearly as much time on Cappadocia. More effective use of interiors of landmarks and landmarks in general would've also been appreciated (like the basilica Ezio scales top down in Brotherhood).
- Platforming dungeons: The improved graphics and integrated use of the hookblade really enhanced my platforming experience from the previous games. However, I wish they were more challenging. I remember spending an hour trying to figure out the pathing for one of the AC II dungeons, but I was able to achieve full sync in almost all the dungeons on my first try (approx. 5 min time limit). I hope they bring back the difficulty level of the AC II tombs in the next title.
- Improved assassin recruitment: I loved this aspect of Brotherhood and really welcomed the side missions for training master assassins. This was my favorite addition over the previous games.
- Sofia: Great character and I really enjoyed the development of her relationship with Ezio, even if it felt rushed like every other plot point.
- MINSTREL MISSION! My favorite in all of AC, this was so clever, hilarious and well-executed.
- Altair memories: Sad but fitting end to the assassin that started it all.

The Average:
- Hookblade: Fun addition but I was rarely given the incentive to use it outside of the platforming levels, especially with all the rooftop guards. New kill animations and extra inches on jumps is nice though.
- Bomb crafting: I appreciated the bomb side missions and general crafting interface, but limiting chest loot to bomb materials ruined the chest side objective for me. Additionally, since Ubi chose to highlight this as a "game changer", I would've liked main missions that really integrate this new feature.
- All new non-Sofia characters: Yusuf and Suleiman were really promising but fell tragically short of achieving much resonance. It felt like they didn't even try with Piri Reis.
- "Boss fight": Short of the original game, this has never really been the strong or selling point of AC, but the end fight for this game was less memorable than some of the DiVinci machine missions in AC Brotherhood.
- Desmond's levels: Novel is good, but I didn't even play any of them beyond the first level because it was so jarring and shoddily executed.
- Multiplayer: Great PvP concept that kept my interest for a few days, but the perk system really made it unbalanced to new players. Rooftops ruined it for me. Multiplayer could be awesome though with the right group of friends.

The Bad:
- Rushed story: I spent over 20 hours working through the AC II main campaign, with some welcome distractions along the way. Could've probably finished the main storyline for this in less than seven hours. More importantly, other than the assassin recruitment missions, I didn't want to be distracted by the side objectives.
- Tower defense and notoriety system: These elements felt like they were added to force you to waste time and to gloss over the rushed plot.
- Lack of side missions: The endless assassination contracts were one of my favorite aspects of previous games, where did they go? Likewise with races and beat up events. I guess the game expects you to sink the majority of your time into the Mediterranean defense mini-game, but it's a pretty pointless time dump beyond leveling up master assassins. Only challenge is knowing how to add and waiting 3-20 mins.
- Carriages: Despise them even if they're different from the general gameplay.

I hope they release a single player DLC soon to tide us over until AC III. Multiplayer is novel but Ubi shouldn't prioritize it over single player.
on October 24, 2014
I bought Assassin's Creed and Assassin's Creed Revelations, both for Windows 7 (64-bit). Both install and work perfectly with my Xbox 360 wireless controller for Windows. You just have to remember to set it to the Xbox controller under Options. The updates are huge (over 1GB) even installing the 8GB from DVD. I sure wouldn't want to buy the online download version, that would be almost 10GB with updates!

The graphics quality is amazing on my HP laptop widescreen HD monitor at the highest resolution (1920 x something, can't remember exact number) with NVIDIA GeForce Experience. Sound quality through my Bose wi-fi speaker is fantastic. Control is seamless. This game was way ahead of its time, amazing even today in its resolution, realism, and game play.

UPDATE: If your Assassin's Creed Revelations will not install (as I've heard some say the Uplay installer crashes), then it's possible you need updated drivers on your computer to play this game, or your computer does not meet the minimum requirements. I can't advise you, and recommend you contact Uplay technical support (at Ubisoft) to help you troubleshoot the problem. I can say it installed seamlessly with Windows 7 64-bit and all the latest updates to the time of installation. Many people don't keep up with Windows updates because they're bandwidth and time consuming, but problems with installation of games is one consequence of lacking due diligence in updating Windows.
on March 14, 2015
this is the first game i purchased and the one that got me hooked. when I can find them under $5 or $10 for the PC I buy them. have I, II, III, REV, IV, and D/L content plus "extra content packages or whatever". the only one I paid $30 for was IV with all the (scam) DLC and expansion package (that's it) on steam for $30 which I thought was worth it until it took over 24 hours on frontier DSL to d/l from them. someday high speed will come to this area OF AMERICA!!

so far i like this the best out of all named in this review. although the new TR GOTY?! I stopped playing AC and played that until I beat it ENTIRELY. which took about 2 weeks plus at no special hurry. but sickeningly, HOURS work shift HOURS of playing. kind of like writing amazon reviews.
on December 3, 2011
The game is good at points. You can move around the city much smoother, thanks to the excellent addition of the "hook blade." Missions anywhere outside the main city is very exciting, beautiful, and cinematic; I myself love the canyon view of the first "finding the key" mission. And the addition of bombs turn out really nicely. For AC Fans, this game also wraps up the stories of Altair and Ezio; although the main focus is on Ezio, you get to see how Altair continues his life after AC1, grows old, and dies.

But the game's main fighting system seriously depowers the player. Here's why: AC:R makes guns a major component of enemy weapons. It is the only attack in the game that is unblockable, undodgable, and does tremendous damage. Any rooftop guard and Janissary (super guards that patrol the city in groups) possess guns. But your ability to focus (or select who to attack) is not modified to "fit in."

For example, the focus ability has a very short range compared to enemy sights. So when a roof guard spots you and begin aiming, you may want to take him out before he does the same to you, but your focus ability, the only way to aim, does not allow you to do so. A more in-game translation is that your master assassin, the best fighter in the whole world, cannot see as far as the guard does. This results in lots of unnecessary attacks by rooftop guards.

Another example is that Janissaries will try to aim and shoot you in close combat. When he begins aiming at you with his gun, you will want to hit him within a second or so to disrupt the shot. But because he always backs up as he aims, your focus system will likely direct your attacks toward other guards (whose attacks you can block or even counter-kill or counter-steal). This results in lots of unnecessary hits and deaths in combat.

Overall, the game does have some exciting moments, a good navigating system, and an excellent finishing touch to the previous games. But these are not nearly enough to make up for the bad combat system, which kills skilled players because the aiming system compromises every skill the player possesses. For the first time in the AC series, I no longer feel comfortable picking fights.

(I'm a pretty good AC player; I've finished AC1 5 times, AC2 2 times, ACB 2 times, and now ACR 1 time. In AC1, I can play full offense (using counter-kill whenever enemies attack, but otherwise pressing no defense, and landing all the combo kills) and full defense with the sword or the dagger; and full hidden blade without jumping out of attacks, all without getting hit. Spoiler for AC1: did you know you can finish Al Mualim's 3rd stage in one blow if you perform a hidden blade counter kill?).
77 comments|15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 8, 2014
I bought this game off amazon, got the key, and entered it into uplay. After downloading it i tried installing it, and it would crash every single time. Uplay is horrible, im never buying anything for it again.
on July 3, 2015
Game starts to install but then it goes all glitchy and the installer crashes.I tried running the setup as administrator, downloading patches.Nothing.One unsatisfied customer here.

Edit: After multiple obnoxious tries, the game finally installed properly and is patching.It looks like I can play this game after all.Suffice it to say that the less technically proficient, more impatient,gamer would have given up at this stage.The things you do when you're a fan...
on February 4, 2013
Wonderful, ubisoft really hit it with this series, I've got em all the way through assassins creed 3. Every game pushes the onvelope for storyline and new features, rich in history and architecture! My system is as follows:

i52500k processor
8 gigs memory
saphire radeon 6770 sound
win 7 64 bit
on March 31, 2015
Not much different from AC: Brotherhood, although the graphics keep getting better - wait 'til you see the Romani "eating fire". Altair missions were fun, Desmond segments weird, pointless, aggravating, completely disconnected from the rest of the game. HUGE world, interesting new weapons. Worth buying & playing, but glad I didn't spend $50 when it was first released.
on April 2, 2013
ubisoft seems to be going backwards in the gameplay as they have not fixed any of the problems I have seen yet. walk up to a guard to assassinate and what does he do? just stands there and extends his knife and sheathes it. really? is that what the assassin's guild is training their members to do? hmmmmm to many bombs and guns. fighting isn't much fun anymore. doesn't seem like stealth is even a factor anymore. the templar captains will notice you from 3 blocks away when all your doing is walking on rooftops. trying to attack specific enemies is very difficult. I constantly get switched to enemies I don't want to attack. my vision is forced in directions I don't want it during battle even if I press LT(xbox 360 controller) to disable target lock which annoyingly locks automatically whether you want it to or not if an enemy attacks you which makes running and climbing very difficult which is what made this series in the first place.
there are a few new things I've liked so far which is the blade hook. helps you to climb faster and you can slide down ropes. counter steal and grab which is pretty cool in a fight. helps to get medicine if you're all out and about to die. timing on the counters seems to be a little off on this game though. I will play through the game for the story and thats about it. may just youtube the story for the next few. not sure I want to give ubisoft any more money. Oh and if you don't already know this game binds itself to your uplay account and can't be used to on any other account ever. so don't buy used copy of the game. it's worthless. I myself made up an account just for the game so I can sell later. will only play once.

UPDATE

wow I have been trying out the multiplayer for this game the last week or so and OMG this game is horribly made. there is no fighting which I figured would be a big part of the game. so it's only assassination kills. sometimes you can't even kill you can only stun. wtf? guess your sword only works sometimes. you can be half way through a jump trying to outrun someone and the game will pull you back onto the roof or ledge and give the other player the kill unless you are the one trying to kill then they get away. really? half the time the contested kills and stuns don't even work. the climbing is way different than in the regular game so playing story mode isn't even practice. this game is horrible. it just gets me pissed off and I regret buying it more than ever now. I can't play it anymore. I can't sell it cuz ubisoft makes you register it so that it's worthless. horrible company and horrible game. won't be buying anymore more products from ubisoft ever again.

UPDATE

just changed my password for Uplay and couldn't sign in for hours and ended up changing my password like 5 times till it finally let me sign in on one. this company keeps getting worse and worse. avoid Ubisoft at all costs. will never buy another Ubisoft product again.