Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on October 26, 2011
This review is actually for the USB Rocksmith Real Tone cable, not the game.

I recently purchased this game and decided to try the cable directly into Garageband on a Mac, since I had tried the 'Alesis Guitarlink' USB cable and found it unworkable in Garageband because of a low volume but persistent high-pitched pulsing/beeping coming from what I assume is the USB circuitry in the Alesis cable. Maybe my Alesis cable is defective - either way it was unusable.

I am happy to comment that this Rocksmith Real Tone cable works perfectly with Garageband for me and is absolutely free of any unwanted noises. The cable is quite sturdy and seems almost indestructible in normal use. There is even a strain release mechanism in the USB tail where an inline plug will disconnect without yanking any of your computer (or game console if you are using it with the Rocksmith game) onto the floor.

Highly recommended. I ordered a spare before everyone figures this out and the cables end up on backorder!
77 comments| 119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2013
This cable got me back working in the PC version of Rocksmith. It does a perfectly capable job of relaying your sounds to the game/computer in general. Beware the thing is a piece of sensitive electronic equipment, and is labeled as such.

Why I got it: You know how it says not to plug the cable into anything but your guitar, and not to plug anything else in between the guitar and the cable in the instructions? Well, I disregarded that with my original cable. I was having trouble with audio lag between when I played a note on my guitar and when I heard it through my computer. I tried, unsuccessfully, to fix it by plugging the guitar into my amp and my amp's headphone jack into the PC using my old cable.

Don't. Do. That.

The electronics in this cable are for the tiny amount of current that comes straight out of a guitar. More current than that will simply fry it.

For anyone curious: switching to my onboard sound card from my PCIe X-Fi fixed the audio lag for me. There are additional instructions on the Ubisoft forums on other methods.
33 comments| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 16, 2013
This works with the game but it is the third one I am on. I am not sure why they quit working, but they are extremely fragile. Wit this one I am trying having this one connected to the USB port on my computer and leaving the rest curled up next to my computer and using a female coupler to link this to a standard instrument cable that goes to the guitar so it will take any abuse.
on March 1, 2012
I know nothing about games & gaming. I bought this to use for Apple Garageband recording. I plugged in my guitar and my Mac recognized this USB device instantly and I was off and running, simple as that. I'm posting this review for anyone who wants to be sure it will work this way. It sure does! No latency that I'm noticing and it's very quiet. What a bargain...a simple, inexpensive way to plug my electric guitar directly into Garageband. And no doubt it will work just as well with any other recording program. Go for it, I'm sure you'll be as happy with it as I am.
66 comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 24, 2012
Not sure why the review is asking me how much fun and how do I rate this game???
First off, I am a 59 year old man that has just taken up guitar. I bought a PS3 strictly for Rocksmith. The game is a fantastic teaching mechanism. I have learned how to play the Black Keys "Next Girl" all the way through in 4 weeks. My wife and I have been playing multi-player, what a blast.

But this write up is about the cable. I initially bought another cable to be able to jam with my wife. 2 days after starting to play, one of the cables broke. I returned the cable without issue and received another one. Thank You AMAZON! Now 3 weeks later another one is broken. I do have two so, I am able to swap cables and/or guitars to be sure it is the cable. The cable is defective. What a bummer when you want to play multi-player...
Wondering how many of these I am going to go through???
1717 comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 11, 2011
This is the same as the cable that comes with the game- having two allows two players to play simultaneously. Definitely a blast with two guitarists playing this game!
on December 9, 2011
I purchased this cable to go w/ my Rocksmith game. It's just fine except a cable comes w/ the game... My mistake I guess. But If I want to play w/ a friend I suppose it's useful. Just wanted to let you know.
55 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 28, 2013
Okay, let me just be clear here for a moment: this review is for the Real Tone cable and not Rocksmith itself. Rocksmith, as a game, is the most fun way to improve guitar skill and fretboard agility - if you take the time to configure the audio correctly to minimize lag and such.

But this cable....well, the cable is absolute crap. Expect to go through at least a couple of these things, since they seem to be unshielded and are VERY susceptible to feedback loops that can burn them out irreparably. For $30, you'd expect to get something built to last - especially considering that Ubisoft went out of their way to get so much real guitar tech licensed for the game.

The only reason that this gets three stars is because it is (to my knowledge) the ONLY way to play Rocksmith - other USB to 1/4" cords fail an internal hardware check in the game. Hopefully if they ever make a Rocksmith 2 the powers-that-be will spend a little bit more time building a cable that won't junk out randomly.
on March 19, 2014
the product only lasted a monthe before becoming defective, and that was after i could have it returned to the dealer. after doing some research i found that this item is made poorly and others were having similar issues. there is another item called Ubisoft LOOSE Rocksmith Real Tone Cable that i am using and i have not had issues with it yet.
I’m using this cable to hook up my electric guitar to my PC. It seems to be a good quality, somewhat thick cable with a foot long breakout piece at the computer end. So if you yank on the cable, it will separate without damaging your computer. In Windows, the cable shows up as a microphone with some basic settings such as volume and records at 16bit up to up to 48,000hz (DVD quality). Which is very nice. It works flawlessly with Rocksmith.

On a decent gaming PC there is almost no latency if you’re playing from your soundcard. I have wireless USB headphones which caused a problem. I don’t think you want to run any extra USB audio devices alongside the cable as you get some distracting stutter in game. That was the case with my corsair wireless setup.

One of the best things about this cable is that it has so many other uses. Not just Rocksmith. It also works flawlessly with Yousician which is a guitar course that has more focused and less game like guitar lessons in a similar vein and complements rocksmith well. The cable also allows you to use ASIO4ALL drivers to create an excellent realtime interface with various guitar Amp and effects modeling simulation software. It’s compatible with everything I tried including Amplitube, Guitar Rig, and VST plugins like PositiveGrid Bias, Vintage Amp Room, and Recabinet. You can also use it record with any free music software such as Audacity and Reaper or commercial sequencer DAW’s like Steinberg Cubase and FL Studio.

So overall the Real Tone Cable offers incredible value. It’s one of the best purchases I have made for my guitar and it opens up a whole world of musical opportunities on the computer at a very reasonable price.

I highly recommend both the real tone cable and the Rocksmith 2014 game which requires the cable to work.