5.0 out of 5 stars Ubuntu at North Country Savings Bank
Published on August 2, 2011 by S. McDermott

3.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile read...
Ubuntu is a fantastic concept. Since reading the book, I have utilized Ubuntu in staff and student trainings, classes, and programs. Outstanding. The challenge with the book is that the story is contrived and at times, a groan to read. If you can look beyond this- and uncover the importance of Ubuntu- it is a worthwhile read.
Published on July 24, 2010 by Heath P. Boice

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Ubuntu at North Country Savings Bank, August 2, 2011
Our organization purchased Ubuntu for every employee and one is given to each new employee after my Human Resources Asst. and I were given a copy while attending our NYS Society for Human Resources Management conference last year. The Ubuntu Philosophy has been fully incorporated into our culture and has allowed us to build on the already great place to work we had. The principles shared in this book regarding the humanity of all people and brining that into our workplace is truly inspiring and the bottom line benefit of happy, engaged employees is critical to success. I would suggest this book to anyone or any organization looking to truly live their talk about being a people friendly workplace, or an organization that values it's people as its most important asset! The North Country Savings Bank became the #1 Best Company to Work for in New York State in 2010 in part because we incorporated the Ubuntu Philosophy into our culture in every way possible. It is even in our annual assessments! We believe it is that important to our success as a business.
We Are All In This Together! Not just words, a way of life :)

3.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile read..., July 24, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, April 30, 2012
This book was amazing. I read it in two says once I got it. This idea and spirit is just what I was looking for.

4.0 out of 5 stars J. Garrison, June 6, 2010
This book appeals to many different audiences. It is a quick read with suitable content to be applicable to workplace management, team building, developing learning communities and personal reflection. It is a fictional work which takes the reader through the individual and professional transformation of John Peterson from an authoritarian manager and distant spouse and father to a reflective and caring person who understands the value and necessity of recognizing the humanity in all people. Peterson hits rock bottom in both his work and personal life. He encounters Ubuntu when one of his staff sacrifices personal time to help Peterson out of a professional jam. Thus begins the transformative power of Ubuntu; the power found within a collaborative community striving together by discovering a unity of purpose and humanity. This book is both uplifting and reflective. An added bonus is the insight into the South Africa of today; the power of reconciliation to begin the healing process from the years under apartheid, the poverty that still grips the country; the beauty of the veldt; and the magic that is Africa.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, July 10, 2014
Easy read and AWESOME message

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book!, May 9, 2014
Everyone should read this especially if you are in management field and work with your team. I have read this and will read this again and again. It's part of your life and workplace, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every leader should read this book, April 19, 2014
I had to read this book for a masters program I'm in, but I think this is the better leadership book I have read. It has inspired me to be a better leader, when the time comes, but more importantly, it has inspired me to want to be a better human being. Every leader, at every level, should put this book on their reading list and read it.

3.0 out of 5 stars “Ubuntu is a philosophy that considers the success of the group above that of the individual”, March 7, 2014
Ubuntu! Is a book about community and working together with others, where you see each other as equals regardless of titles, corporate or social structures. Combining to achieve a common goal should unite everybody as they share the same goal. The main takeaway mimics and old acronym for TEAM: together everyone achieves more, but goes a lot deeper by explaining that the team is universal and is a human to human team rather than the isolated islands we find ourselves on, either professionally or personally. When people know about and care for each other the motivation to succeed and see them succeed grows exponentially

5.0 out of 5 stars A philosophy that is under our noses., March 2, 2014
Being born in South Africa, this should be common sense to me, but it took reading tip his book to realise what I was missing out on.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Cover to Cover Life Changing Read You Won't Regret!, August 31, 2013
Totally unexpected! A business book that's not only about business - but really about life. It reads like a novel. I finished it in one sitting because I couldn't put it down, and woke up the next morning to jot down ideas on implementing Ubuntu in my life, family and community. Profoundly simple principle with global impact. Thank you Africa, authors, and all those who have made the sharing of Ubuntu a reality.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Ubuntu!: An Inspiring Story About an African Tradition of Teamwork and Collaboration
Used & New from: $5.65