5.0 out of 5 stars Already learning more about Linux..
At the time I'm writing this there's one review below written by Mr. Stump who is spiteful because he wiped out his Windows file system.

So let me offer some advice:
Published on February 10, 2011 by Jtronix

3.0 out of 5 stars Tries to tell it all but says little about a lot.
Published on March 13, 2011 by Rob Spoor

5.0 out of 5 stars Already learning more about Linux.., February 10, 2011
This review is from: Ubuntu Unleashed 2011 Edition: Covering 10.10 and 11.04 (6th Edition) (Paperback)

So let me offer some advice:
This book mentions a program called Wubi that will allow you to install Ubuntu from within Windows (in MINUTES I might add) and won't wipe out your MBR or your files because you ignorantly hit "Format disk" without knowing exactly what it meant.

Now, I have tried to use Linux a few times in the past and the learning curve makes it difficult to operate. I'm incredibly proficient with PCs running Windows, but Linux has always been pretty difficult for me.

This book has helped clear up many of the things I didn't understand before. Currently I'm only in Chapter 11 but I've learned more about running Linux in the last four hours reading this book than I ever have before.

Give it a shot!

Don't be like Mr. Stump and wipe out your file system.

Maybe do a little research first. Learn what partitioning is. Maybe use another Linux disc called Parted Magic to resize and partition your drive properly using the right file system.
Maybe not blame a good book and give it one star for your own ignorant actions.

Okay I'm done.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is nice useful book, February 21, 2011
It is good book. It may be the best Ubuntu specific book for a not technical reader. I installed this Ubuntu 10.10, 4-Disks DVD Installation and Reference Set, Ed.2011 and while it comes with fair amount of books and info included, I found this book to be very useful and very specific. I will not be reading it from cover to cover, as I have no intention to write scripts or use all of the described features, but the book definitely delivers. I would agree with another review that much of the content is shared with a book for a previous version, but I see no problem in it. Ubuntu is still Ubuntu, bash is still bash and as far as the explanations work, I see no reason for an author to remake it. It apparently reflects the current state of affair in Ubuntu, it explains many things quite well. i got this book without disk, nor I needed one, but so far it was good reference book for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ubuntu if you've never used Linux before, June 13, 2011
I am new to Linux and of course to Ubuntu. I have used DOS for two decades, so I am used to command line prompts, and to Mac OS X which is a GUI interface over unix, another command line prompt operating system.

Ubuntu was recommended to me to try as it has the best of both worlds: a Mac-like GUI over a unix-type command line prompt system. I was doing all right with Ubuntu until I found this book; then my knowledge of Ubuntu and Linux went up exponentially!

This book gets my highest recommendation. It is easy to use and to understand. No need to hire a tutor; this book has it all! Thank you for writing this book. It explains everything an end user like myself needs to know.

10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, March 10, 2011
This book has helped me with Ubuntu more than any online tutorial I've found. It's definitely worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars NotBad, February 19, 2011
Book is fairly good.
However, it lacks details on various problem solving as how to exactly install ubuntu.
I had the following error msgs: "no root file system is defined" and "error creating file system"
Only by going to the Ubuntu home page could I start reading about problem solving But; that is why I bought the book in the first place.....so I would not have to go on line in the middle of a installation to read while I am installing.

PS
after installing Ubuntu; I will never go back to MicoSoft!Which I prepaid for win7 and never got. CS said I was to late to get my prepaid copy I paid over $200.00 for Vista (slowboatochina) which I installed (what a mistake) but; never got my copy of Win7Ult. thank you MS for getting me to change over to Linux-Ubuntu
Ubuntu is very fast and NO lockups! Tons of legacy drivers for hardware, even for my very old Apple Image writer II and it actually ran the first time. I loaded it just to see if it actually worked and it did....the first time!
Again-thank you Bill Gates for getting me to change to Linux pgms and FREE too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tries to tell it all but says little about a lot., March 13, 2011
Rob Spoor (Eindhoven, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
According to the book, it presents "advanced coverage" of Ubuntu. After reading the book I have to disagree. It does handle a lot of topics (in no less than 36 chapters), but in just 681 pages; that's an average of 19 pages per chapter. The result of this is that the book is like a freight train at times - going through subjects in high speed without many details. Especially the two chapters on the command line suffer from this problem. The second one, "Command Line Masterclass", doesn't even mention using && and || or error stream redirecting. The book tries to tell it all, but because of this actually says little about a lot.

Another main problem is a poor editing job. There are still quite a bit of errors in the book, ranging from formatting errors to images being out of order to incorrect forward references to typos in commands. A few commands that I copied from the book don't even run on my Ubuntu 10.10 installation because of missing / incorrect parameters, and even a missing : in a PATH variable. The instructions also seem to be wrong at time; I could get neither SWAT nor PostgreSQL running properly using the instructions in the book.

And what's up with the promise of a "Free Upgrade to Ubuntu 11.04"? The DVD is only available to US and Canada residents, but of course you can also download it for free from the Ubuntu website.

In the end, I'm not saying it's a bad book; it did teach me a new trick or two. I just wouldn't recommend it.

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for writing this review on behalf of JavaRanch.com. This review has previously been posted on JavaRanch.com.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ubuntu Unleashed comments, August 24, 2011
I purchased this paper-version book partly on the basis of other Amazon reviews and because I had used 'Red Hat Linux 9 Unleashed' and found it essential. I don't have a machine running Ubuntu yet, but I have one on order from Pogo Linux (in addition to my current RH9 Pogo). I have actually sat down and read most of 'Ubuntu Unleashed' , skimming some sections that I may not use. I found the book to be relatively readable and occasionally lively. I appreciate the authors' effort to describe in readable text what it is they are doing and why, in addition to giving commands. They often give background explanations to bring along those of us who are not (yet) certified geeks. They don't waste a lot of book space on screen shots, which many software books seem to use as filler. I also appreciate their care in comparing Ubuntu details to other previous distributions and explaining important details (like use of root) that differ. As is is usual, the book includes an installation disk for Ubuntu 10.10; but if you register your book on line, you can get a free upgrade disk for 11.04. In general, I recommend the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but meant for non beginners., March 21, 2011
This product came with the latest version of Ubuntu at the time of purchase. It goes from start to finish of installing using and customizing linux. It is not really meant for beginners, but if you're used to college texts then this book should be fairly understandable. Some parts are a little confusing, though. It also comes with Ubuntu 10.10, which is the main reason I bought the book. I am in Afghanistan and Windows died on me... so I decided to spend my free time playing around with linux.

I was not really able to jump to differant parts of the book without reading the prior chapters in some parts. I use it mostly as a referance when I get time to play with linux. It does talk about the newer version of linux, unlike other books sold on Amazon.

Overall, a great learning tool if you have a base already established for linux.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this Book, March 21, 2013
Melissa (Lake Ridge, VA) - See all my reviews
It has been really helpful in my Linux class. This is now my new favorite book. Very nice book to have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource that covers everything, October 17, 2011
This is the book all Ubuntu users who plan on becoming advanced users should own. So many subjects are covered. It's usually only a few pages, but it's enough to get you started and really gets you ready to learn more on your own. Mail servers, blocking spam, networking, databases, squid, and there are even introductions to PHP and Perl! This book will get a lot of people on the right path. All the examples work best with the version of Ubuntu included with the book, but there isn't a lot that is too-specific other than the installation section.

Ubuntu Unleashed 2011 Edition: Covering 10.10 and 11.04 (6th Edition)
Ubuntu Unleashed 2011 Edition: Covering 10.10 and 11.04 (6th Edition) by Matthew Helmke (Paperback - December 24, 2010)
$49.99 $36.87