Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 5, 2006 7:58:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 28, 2007 7:06:18 PM PDT
Look, I'm an old man at 38 years old, and I'm sick of these stupid promotional tricks that Michael Port is using to try to get his book to be the number one best seller of the day on amazon.com

Giving away a CHANCE (just a chance, no guarantee you will win) to win a bunch of prizes, from vacations to other books, makes the realist in me STOP AND THINK TWICE, before I click the buy button.

If his book is so good, why does he need to create this silly contest on May 5th, 2006 ?

A quick scan of the reviews of this book, it seems to me that all the reviews are loaded, that is they were written by his clients, friends, or other "coaches" who are trying to advertise themselves and their websites.

Do you think I am dumb, that I'm going to fall for this? No, I'm not. I found two realistic reviews elsewhere, one said the book was terrible, the other said the book lacks real sales and marketing advice, and I belive those much more than the gush gush "this book is great" reviews that are written by friends.

No thanks. I choose to find a better book that stands by itself, a book that doesn't rely on swarmy promotional tactics to get itself bought.

What are your thoughts?

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2006 8:44:11 AM PDT
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your post. I work with Michael Port and I wanted to connect with you and say that this is just a fun way for us to get the word out about a fabulous new book that we think will really help folks who want to get more clients.

I hope you'll have a chance take a look at the book (if you are a small business owner or service professional) and see for yourself. I think you'll like it...

Have a great day
:)
Gayla

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2006 6:46:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2006 6:47:52 PM PDT
D. Gallant says:
I am with Steve. I got no less than four emails about buying this book from different sources, blatantly a gimmick. If the book has value in and of itself, don't you think people will find it based on merit? Puleez.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2006 12:26:02 PM PDT
I do not work with Michael and have gotten nothing from him. See my review. The book is very solid, straightforward information.

There is one drawback. To get the results, you have to do the work. But if you follow his advice, you will get the results. The simple fact is most people will not do the work necessary.

As far as promotion, I am all for it. I think I have enough sense to separate the products with substance from the fluff. I've gotten stuck a couple of time. But even then I've learned. If you get just one good idea from a book, what a return on investment.

John Chancellor

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2006 10:58:21 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 1, 2006 5:09:50 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2006 9:58:27 AM PST
Steve,
I agree. There are no real marketing techniques in this book. It really does seem that they are just trying to sell their own seminars that most of us cannot afford. I wasted money on this book and was very angry. I own a salon and none of it really applied to me. I can't afford to waste any money much less on trying to make a scam artist even richer. There are a lot of books now that do the same thing. Promote themselves with no interest in really helping people that need Help. The book "The Millionaire Maker" By Loral Langemeier is the exact same way. As well as Cracking the Millionaire Code. I'm tired of making others rich by not helping others and I am done.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2007 5:06:53 PM PST
with experience i think we are better able to spot these scam artists and stay a couple of miles away from them. that is the great thing about amazon adding these discussion forums, we can share real world opinions and cut through the hype

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2007 5:44:44 PM PDT
Hey Steve,

I'm also a 38 eight year old young man. Your post is not even called for. Lighten up. I haven't read the book, I don't know the author so I'm certainly not his friend. I am however looking forward to reading the book. If you don't want to buy the book you don't have to get to the point of a heart attack to spew out all that venom. My humble advice to you is DON'T BUY THE BOOK, if you don't want to. BTW, How can you give a review on a book that you haven't read? Lighten up bud. Life is good.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2007 7:04:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 28, 2007 7:09:15 PM PDT
thanks old man. i'm already 39 now. ha ha. I will bow down before you and humbly beg your forgiveness. NOT !

I did not give a review, I started a discussion about the bad promotional tactics of the author.

I have since learned that 99% of the world is made up of fools, so his book is probably doing pretty well.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2007 12:13:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 20, 2007 10:01:07 AM PDT
Hey Steve I have to agree with you that most of these reviews sound phony. When when they call the author by name and it sounds like something that should be on the back cover of the book thats a pretty good clue. I guess if you write reviews for the people in your network they'll do the same for you. There I just gave everyone the secret of networking so now they don't have to buy the book. I think the reason that most people don't like networking is because they don't want to hang around a bunch of insincere, overly PC people let alone try to act like them and some of the reviews I read just reinforced these feelings. I searched around and ordered a couple of other books that didn't have all the hype. If they're any good I'll let you know (there I just started a network of anti network people).

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2007 1:43:10 PM PDT
I think you just did what other sane smart people do. Separate the bull from the normal stuff. i think the reason these other people get fooled into writing the gushing testimonials is because they haven't been in the real world long enough to know that this approach doesn't work. Please do let us know about the other books.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2009 9:31:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2009 9:42:51 AM PST
I dunno. I don't think the book is all that bad. I got it from inter-library loan from my local library, and for most people, it's certainly worth the time invested in reading it. Paying for it, I dunno.

I do think it would work better as a 4,000-word or so magazine article, or maybe a chapter in a single book. The basic idea is:

1) Figure out what problems your business solves
2) (Some advice on how to pitch that)
3) Build a website / Get business cards / dress well / generally be professional
4) Generate free offers to entice your clients
5) Have a /product/ for your customers to /buy/ if they take the free offer
5) (mumble mumble some advice on networking)
6) Fire your loser clients
7) Write and speak to get clients
8) Direct market to attract clients
9) Find ways to get referrals
10) Have an automatic way to keep in touch

A bit thin on content for a book, sure, but there's some solid stuff in there. The problem is when you get to specifics, you'll want to read a book on each of the items above ... which is maybe why this would be better off as chapter in a larger work.

I've been informally doing some of the things Port suggests (google me), and he gave me concrete tactics to tighten things up. I'm confident that if I had to, I could take take what i'm doing now+this advice and quit my day job. For now, I'll let my stock options vest.

Posted on Dec 10, 2009 9:33:20 AM PST
For what it's worth, The classic automatic way to keep in touch is the car dealer that sends you an annual birthday card.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2011 9:30:37 AM PST
JDean says:
In the real world, my business is thriving and I'm making more sales than ever, thanks to his suggestions! I don't know which reality you live in, but I'm glad it's not mine! See my review. See the post of the lady who works with Michael Port. I'm not getting paid by him to write this. But in not even having read his book, you're WAY off base. You keep saying "Real World". Your reality is the issue here. Read the book, and do what he says to do, and get off your "real world" high horse! I certainly hope you'll have a change of heart soon. Maybe you'll get a timely visit by 3 spirits this Christmas Eve...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2011 9:34:06 AM PST
JDean says:
Way to Go, Bryan! I'm just a simple businessman whose business is thriving thanks to what Michael has recommended. I hope that by now you've just taken off since it's been three years since your original post.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2011 9:45:44 AM PST
JDean says:
You are looking for a magic bullet; a cure-all. Sadly, if you are not willing to do the work and complete the exercises in Michael's workbook, you probably didn't get anything out this. Just the concepts in this book are worth the price you pay for it. This is no a Get-rich-quick book. Please do not buy this book if you are looking for a quick fix! That's not what this is! I am still going through the book, applying the principles, and making sales, finding new clients, and having the time of my life! People blithely throw around the term "scam artist" who ironically want something for nothing! I can't believe that you, as a salon owner, couldn't find anything that applied to you! This philosophy of business applies to every single service professional!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2011 7:40:49 PM PST
Jennifer B says:
Interesting....I also own a salon and had amazing results with it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  May 5, 2006
Latest post:  Nov 22, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even if You Hate Marketing and Selling
Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even if You Hate Marketing and Selling by Michael Port (Paperback - April 28, 2008)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (147)