1,410 Reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, not to crazy about the illustrations or text
Published 17 months ago by Talo

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ugly Duckling, January 2, 2012
This review is from: The Ugly Duckling (Illustrated) (Kindle Edition)
With my grandchildren in mind, I recently searched for free Kindle books with illustrations that would be appropriate for different young age groups. Wow! In no time at all I found the story by Hans Christian Anderson of "The Ugly Duckling". What a treasure! And...the free Kindle Fire edition is outstanding. Well formatted with many colorful illustrations. I loved the story (even at 75 years old) and knew that it would be perfect for our grandchildren in the range of 5-8 years old. Or, maybe until 100. I read it once again and marvelled at its universality. This is a winner and I give it five stars!!! Outstanding job Graphic Spin and Amazon!

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, not to crazy about the illustrations or text, March 8, 2013
This review is from: The Ugly Duckling (Illustrated) (Kindle Edition)
Just what the title says.. I thought that there was a lot of text compared to the number of illustrations in this book. Younger kids may get bored if story are too wordy. Also some of the translations came across as being kind of harsh. Perhaps in the original German( ?) it just translates differently but I really do not want to read to my kid a line like " Please Kill me said the ugly Duckling".

2.0 out of 5 stars The Ugly Duckling, February 20, 2014
This review is from: The Ugly Duckling (Illustrated) (Kindle Edition)
I have "never" read such a cruel version of The Ugly Duckling. Not only did he receive over the top abuse, the writer had to include the sportsmen out on the moor shooting wild geese and causing the water to be tinged with blood. REALLY...this is a children's book?

1.0 out of 5 stars Definitely NOT for young children, December 25, 2013
This review is from: The Ugly Duckling (Illustrated) (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this book for free--and after perusing it promptly deleted it. No way would this work for my 3 year old granddaughter. Here's why:

1. This is 99% text, and the few illustrations that do exist are miniscule. It's a joke to call this "illustrated."

2. The text is often boring and way over the head of a young child: "It would be very sad, were I to relate all the misery and privations the poor little duckling endured during the hard winter..." Or how about this: "He now felt glad at having suffered sorrow and trouble, because it enabled him to enjoy so much better the pleasure and happiness around him..."

3. There is also too much emphasis on beating and killing. How about this passage: "I will fly to those royal birds," he exclaimed, "and they will kill me, because I am so ugly, and dare to approach them. It does not matter. Better to be killed by them than pecked by the ducks, beaten by the hens, pushed by the maiden who feeds the poultry, or starved with hunger in the winter."

4. While this may be the original story, I remember as a child reading a version devoid of all the gore in this story, and certainly never read anything like: "Kill me, said the poor bird; and he bent his head down to the surface of the water and awaited death."

Bottom line: This is absolutely NOT suitable for young children (ages 2-5). In fact I don't think it works for older children either because while the text may not frighten them, I think it will bore them.

I just ordered Children's Classic Fairy Tales: The Ugly Duckling, which I was able to preview part of before ordering. The preview had nice illustrations and text appropriate for my granddaughter.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hi what the check, January 14, 2014
This review is from: The Ugly Duckling (Illustrated) (Kindle Edition)
it is just bad one of the weirdest books I've ever read I do not recommend this to anyone thanks

1.0 out of 5 stars Not really illustrated, November 19, 2012
This review is from: The Ugly Duckling (Illustrated) (Kindle Edition)
I tried reading this to my 3 year old and it is WAY too wordy (I suspect it's the traditional version) with WAY too few pictures. If it had nice illustrations throughout the story, I think it would have been nice. But, it didn't keep my attention, let alone my 3 year old's.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, even free, December 28, 2012
This review is from: The Ugly Duckling (Illustrated) (Kindle Edition)
Most pages have no pictures at all,only words. Not for kids, especially non readers. Boring waste of space on my kindle.

5.0 out of 5 stars An illustrated version of a classic fairy tale, June 28, 2013
This review is from: The Ugly Duckling (Illustrated) (Kindle Edition)
"The Ugly Duckling" is arguably Hans Christian Andersen's best known fairy tale. The story tells of a homely little bird who suffers abuse from the others around him until, much to his delight and to the surprise of others, he matures into a beautiful swan. It's a great story for children and grownups alike, with the swan in the story being a metaphor for inner beauty and talent that may not be recognized until later in life. For younger children, it's just an enjoyable fairy tale that doesn't have to have a moral.

Since Andersen was Danish, all of his works published in English are translations, and this is the well known 1872 English translation by H.P. Paull. This version of the story includes modern color illustrations, but they're small and don't add too much to the story. The story isn't very long, and would make a great bedtime story for children of around kindergarten age or older.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great Children's Book, May 19, 2012
This review is from: The Ugly Duckling (Illustrated) (Kindle Edition)
This book has taken the writings of Hans Christian Andersen and has added beautiful illustrations. My children love this book. We have read it many times before bed. They love the writing as well as the illustrations. This was one of the first children's book we got on Kindle and has helped my children appreciate reading on Kindle.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ugly duckling, May 13, 2012
This review is from: The Ugly Duckling (Illustrated) (Kindle Edition)
Great classic, great illustrations, kids love this book. Great price (FREE). Will be getting more classic stories to pass on!

The Ugly Duckling (Illustrated)
The Ugly Duckling (Illustrated) by Hans Christian Andersen